Jose's First Reef - Waterbox Cube 20

JoseClimaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,
I apologize beforehand about my writing, English is not my main language.

This is going to be my first saltwater tank, i thought it was a really good idea to create a Journal, so i can have a project timeline and at the same time get some help from more experienced reefers.

My initial idea for the tank was the Fluval evo 13.5, but after some trouble finding one in Portugal i started looking for something else.
To be honest i couldn't find any tank with similar size in Portugal, so i started searching in Spain and found a store with a really good deal on a Waterbox Cube 20 and i pulled the trigger.

Equipment list:
  • Stand: All Pond Solutions 45 Cabinet
  • Lights: Ecotech Radion XR15 Pro G4
  • Skimmer: Reefloat Micro Skimmer
  • Heater: Fluval E-100
  • Pump: Sicce Syncra 1.0
  • ATO: Autoaqua Smart ATO
  • Monitoring: Seneye Reef
  • Wave Maker: undecided
Still undecided between Nero 5, MP10 or the aqamai KPS and i would love some help. Is it worth the extra money for the Nero 5 or MP10?

Aquascape:
  • Rock: Two little fishies Stax 20
  • Sand: CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink
Media:
I'm not sure yet what i'm going to use and i would appreciate if someone would help me in the correct direction.

I have a the following:
  • Chemipure Blue
  • Marinepure GEMS
  • Bag of Carbon (Came with tank)
  • Bag of Bio Balls (Came with tank)
  • Filter Sock (Came with tank)
  • Sponge (Came with tank)

I was planning to use the Filter Sock, Chemipure Blue and Marinepure Gems and skip the things that came with the tank. What do you guys think?

Cycle:
I got the Red Sea Reef Mature Pro kit and later i realized that i should be using live rock with this kit, that's why i'm getting some temporary live rock from my LFS to help the cycle.
For testing i'll be using the Red Sea Marine Care Multi Test Kit and a Unbranded refractometer.

At the moment i'm doing my rock scape, i'll be posting photos soon to get feedback.

You would make my day if you could give me a little direction on the Wavemaker and Media.

Thank you in advance

crizain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox 20 was my first tank... but I am using the bio-balls and swapped the sock for a basket; I change out a piece of floss 2-3 times per week. I was running Chemipure elite, pulled it as I am trying to raise phos. Nothing else currently outside of sand and live-rock and everything seems happy.

For flow, I have the Nero 5. Honestly, it is a cool wave maker but it is too much power. My hammers and acans do not like more than 10% flow from this thing - and I am on the 3rd placement to try to get it right.

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox 20 is a great tank to start with. I have a Waterbox 10g in addition to their 75.2 and love both. In my 10g I have the smaller version of the Aqamai KPS. It may be OK for the 20g but you might want to consider the larger version.

Enjoy the build!

OP
OP
JoseClimaco

JoseClimaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox 20 is a great tank to start with. I have a Waterbox 10g in addition to their 75.2 and love both. In my 10g I have the smaller version of the Aqamai KPS. It may be OK for the 20g but you might want to consider the larger version.

Enjoy the build!

Don't you think the KPM will produce way too much flow?

I was aiming for 3000 litres per hour. Should I go higher?

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you think the KPM will produce way too much flow?

I was aiming for 3000 litres per hour. Should I go higher?

Well, it might. Both are adjustable. I can turn down the KPM if to strong at 100%, but you cannot turn up a KPS from 100%. The amount of flow depends on what you want to do. Since this is your first Saltwater set up, then most likely you will have softies and LPS, both are fine with low to moderate flow. KPS might just be the ticket. It is a nice little pump. Higher flows are for SPS which you probably wont get into until later.

OP
OP
JoseClimaco

JoseClimaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it might. Both are adjustable. I can turn down the KPM if to strong at 100%, but you cannot turn up a KPS from 100%. The amount of flow depends on what you want to do. Since this is your first Saltwater set up, then most likely you will have softies and LPS, both are fine with low to moderate flow. KPS might just be the ticket. It is a nice little pump. Higher flows are for SPS which you probably wont get into until later.

You are correct, thank you very much, i'll have to make a decision by the end of the week.

OP
OP
JoseClimaco

JoseClimaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update

Yesterday i got home and i had this box waiting for me:
IMG_7066.jpg

IMG_7067.jpg

This rock looks great. I gave it a good rinse using tap water to remove loose bits and dust. Now is resting on rodi water for two days and after that i'll let it dry in the sun so i can start the rock work.

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome, Just take your time, look at your rock work from all sides, I know you limited for space but make sure there is a few gaps so that water can flow through and your fish can swim in and out. Once your happy make sure you rock work is stuck well. Good luck

OP
OP
JoseClimaco

JoseClimaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome, Just take your time, look at your rock work from all sides, I know you limited for space but make sure there are a few gaps so that water can flow through and your fish can swim in and out. Once your happy make sure you rock work is stuck well. Good luck

Thanks for your suggestion, I'm going to make sure there are enough gaps for the water to flow. I'll be using Aquaforest Stone Fix to bond most of the rocks.

OP
OP
JoseClimaco

JoseClimaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I received my Radion XR15w Pro G4, with the matching rms stand and diffuser. I did a quick test and I was really impressed, this thing can illuminate most of my living room o_O

IMG_7316.jpg

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far, that is a serious light for that tank; what kind of inhabitants do you have in mind?

Bruno_Soares

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello José,
Nice scape. I think it is good, but since I am still strugling with my first reef it may not be the best perspective.
Good luck... "Carrega".

OP
OP
JoseClimaco

JoseClimaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

Things are going slowly because of my personal life.

I recieved the remaining equipement last week and i filled the tank with water. The scape changed a bit because i had a few problems with the cement. I'll post a few pictures soon.

I'm going to start the cycle his weekend and i'll get a few pieces of live rock to help.

The skimmer is quite small, i hope it works well
IMG_7612.jpg

see you later

EastCoastScaping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup. Ive been looking to upgrade from my current IM 10g fusion to a waterbox cube 20 or a waterbox Marine aio 30.2 so seeing this helps me decide which one I prefer. I have a reef glass skimmer which is nearly identical to your skimmer. They work great as long as the glass tube is clean. In my experience it gets dirty fast and has to get cleaned often.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back