Journey to replace a return pump

Joe Grubbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
160g Peninsula...

20180708_191822.jpg

After 3+ years of continuous operation, with no maintenance, my HammerHead pump began leaking.

20180707_135004.jpg

I was alerted to this issue by a 'nagging' intermittent wet floor alarm (thanks to the floor sensor on my Neptune Apex). You'll notice the distinct lack of a bulkhead isolation valve on the pump inlet...there just was not space for one. So the build decision was that draining a 100g sump would be the approach to maintenance.

20180707_123335_HDR.jpg

You can see the floor sensor hanging from the pump discharge valve.

What to do next...
  • How much flow is really going into the tank???
    • Install a 1" Neptune flow meter ==> 760 gph.
    • That's much lower than expected!
  • Checked out many pumps
    • Chose the Varios-8 as the Varios-6 pumps running on the skimmer have performed very well.
    • 750 gph is the 10 ft head pressure for the Varios-8
    • There is 5' vertical head between the top of the sump and the top of the tank.
    • The Varios-8 consumes 85 watts as compared to the 265 watts which the Hammerhead is pulling.
  • Started buying parts... BRS & Lowes... mixing 20g of fresh salt water. I'm optimistic that I'll not 'lose' much water.
20180707_131447_HDR.jpg

Started the day by scrubbing the 100g water bowl for the cows, rinsing with bleach, fresh water.
Re-programmed a 150 watt heater, re-located the temp sensor from the sump to the tank, and locked the Wave pumps into 50% flow...shut down the return pump and began draining the sump...re-purposed the Varios-6 skimmer feed pump for the task.

20180707_134955.jpg

Wire cutters for the tie-wraps, disconnecting unions, and in short order 'found' the leaky pump.

20180707_144925_HDR.jpg

The first step of the build...install a new bulkhead with an isolation valve...the Varios line of pumps require regular maintenance to keep them running well.

20180708_191448.jpg

A few hours later, likely more blue glue on me than the pipes, and it is all back together. Pumped the water back into the sump. Added about 8 gal of pre-mix salt water to cover water 'loss' for various reasons.
  • Cleaned by soaking in 50/50 Vinegar/water
    • The glass housing for the UV light
    • Both check valves in the return line
  • Added a UV-Chiller bypass line for the purpose of reducing the flow through the UV for more contact time
  • Added a 1" flow meter in the UV-Chiller line
  • The top right T has a modified pH probe holder with a Apex Temp probe to monitor the Chiller outlet temp...using a PM1 for this purpose...added a safety to shut down the chiller and warn if temp drops below 70 deg F out of the chiller as a result of the reduced flow.
  • The wet floor sensor is back on the floor!!
The end result: 650 gph returning to the tank...missed the mark. Power consumption is 83 watts. With 350 gph through the chiller, the outlet temp is 0.5 deg F below the tank temp.

To maintain the Varios pump, disconnect both union nuts and slide to the right and out the gap by the chiller...

Overall journey, 6 months from the first alarm till the Various-8 was running in place of the Hammerhead.

Thoughts?

jdg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice plumbing work:)

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
160g Peninsula...

20180708_191822.jpg

After 3+ years of continuous operation, with no maintenance, my HammerHead pump began leaking.

20180707_135004.jpg

I was alerted to this issue by a 'nagging' intermittent wet floor alarm (thanks to the floor sensor on my Neptune Apex). You'll notice the distinct lack of a bulkhead isolation valve on the pump inlet...there just was not space for one. So the build decision was that draining a 100g sump would be the approach to maintenance.

20180707_123335_HDR.jpg

What to do next...
  • Checked out many pumps
    • Chose the Varios-8 as the Varios-6 pumps running on the skimmer have performed very well.
    • There is 5' vertical head between the top of the sump and the top of the tank.
    • The Varios-8 consumes 85 watts as compared to the 265 watts which the Hammerhead is pulling.
  • Started buying parts... BRS & Lowes... mixing 20g of fresh salt water. I'm optimistic that I'll not 'lose' much water.
20180707_131447_HDR.jpg

Started the day by scrubbing the 100g water bowl for the cows, rinsing with bleach, fresh water.
Re-programmed a 150 watt heater, re-located the temp sensor from the sump to the tank, and locked the Wave pumps into 50% flow...shut down the return pump and began draining the sump...re-purposed the Varios-6 skimmer feed pump for the task.

20180707_134955.jpg

Now that is has been running for while. What is the verdict on the various8? Is it a viable replacement? Any notice in drop off of water flow other than the 100g/hr drop off?
Wire cutters for the tie-wraps, disconnecting unions, and in short order 'found' the leaky pump.

20180707_144925_HDR.jpg

The first step of the build...install a new bulkhead with an isolation valve...the Varios line of pumps require regular maintenance to keep them running well.

20180708_191448.jpg

A few hours later, likely more blue glue on me than the pipes, and it is all back together. Pumped the water back into the sump. Added about 8 gal of pre-mix salt water to cover water 'loss' for various reasons.
  • Added a UV-Chiller bypass line for the purpose of reducing the flow through the UV for more contact time
  • The top right T has a modified pH probe holder with a Apex Temp probe to monitor the Chiller outlet temp...using a PM1 for this purpose...added a safety to shut down the chiller and warn if temp drops below 70 deg F out of the chiller as a result of the reduced flow.
The end result: 650 gph returning to the tank...missed the mark. Power consumption is 83 watts. With 350 gph through the chiller, the outlet temp is 0.5 deg F below the tank temp.

To maintain the Varios pump, disconnect both union nuts and slide to the right and out the gap by the chiller...

Overall journey, 6 months from the first alarm till the Various-8 was running in place of the Hammerhead.

Thoughts?

jdg

So how is the pump doing so far? Any drop off in flo? So was this pump a good replacement? YOu are running your overflows and your reactors with the one pump correct?

Last edited:

afartindolphin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
160g Peninsula...

20180708_191822.jpg

20180707_135004.jpg

20180707_123335_HDR.jpg

What to do next...
  • Checked out many pumps
20180707_131447_HDR.jpg

20180707_134955.jpg

20180707_144925_HDR.jpg

20180708_191448.jpg

Thoughts?

jdg

FWIW many inline flow meters can reduce flow significantly.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t need a valve between the sump and the pump. Just use a threaded bulkhead and keep a threaded cap on hand. Simple. Always upsize the apex flow sensors. I use the 2” model on my 1” return. Not a big fan of the reeflo pumps, for precisely the reason you found. Am an Iwaki/PanWorld user. No seals to leak.

Haven’t seen one of those old lifegard canister modules in a while. Used to use them on all my tanks. Nice!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wonder if the flow valve is causing your flow reading to be off. Other than that, great job!!!

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how is the pump doing so far? Any drop off in flo? So was this pump a good replacement? YOu are running your overflows and your reactors with the one pump correct?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back