Jumping back in with a 224 gallon

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,
I am new here but not to reefing. I have had multiple tanks throughout the years with my largest being a 120 gallon. Long story short, we had kids and moved and I took down the 120 with the intent to set it up at the new place. That was 6 years ago. I never got around to it and it was never the right time. Now that my kids are a little older and they see the tank sitting empty in the garage they always ask about it. So I decided that I was going to set it back up, then I said well if I am going to do this I want to do it right and the way that I always wanted it.

That brings me to my 224 gallon (72x30x24) build!

Tank is custom made acrylic by Midwest Custom Aquariums
At the shop:
IMG_2137.JPEG
IMG_2135.JPEG

In it spot:
IMG_0566.JPG

Here's the sump plumbed to the basement:
IMG_0561.JPG

Using a Rubbermaid 150 gallon stock tank for the sump. Went with an Abyzz A400 for the return going through a Pentair 80 watt UV. Running two BRS 600 watt titanium heaters controlled with Inkbird 306a. I have gone through 3 different Neptune systems starting with the AquaController 3 and have never had good luck with reliability of them. I am planing on trying out the new Control 4 when it comes out hopefully soon!

My RO/DI setup:
IMG_0562.JPG

I am on well water and went with a three stage DI system. I have high CO2 in the well water and it eats through Anion pretty fast that cartridge made ~200 gallons of water (0 TDS, starting @ 350 TDS). It powered by a Smart Buddie RO/DI Booster Pump that gets the pressure from 40 PSI to 100 PSI.

Water Mixing Station:
IMG_0560.JPG

Pretty basic setup using a Pan World 100px-x from the 120

Skimmer and Refuge:
IMG_0563.JPG

Skimmer is a Reef Octopus Regal 250EXT and 15 gallon tank will be the refuge

And lastly a box of rocks:
IMG_0565.JPG

This is a mix of old Pukani rock I had from my 120 and added in 40 lbs of CaribSea South Seas Base rock and 40 lbs of CaribSea South Seas Shelf rock. I will be adding in some cycled rock from the LFS to seed it all.

That's my progress so far. This is my first build thread hope you all enjoyed.

Last edited:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same tank dimensions as my upgrade build. I look forward to seeing this come together.

OP
OP
MGarrison

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same tank dimensions as my upgrade build. I look forward to seeing this come together.

Thanks Billdg... I have been following your build thread as well. I see that you are planning to go with
Aquatic life non dimmable X18 T5 61 in fixture w/ 2 ATI Blue plus, 1 Coral plus, and 1 Purple plus
Probably 5 XR15 G5 Blues

I was looking at the XR15's but my old tank i used 250 watt DE with T5's and I really like the shimmer from MH so that moved me more toward the Kessils.

I was thinking 6 Kessils A360X w/ 2 72" Reefbrite ACTINIC BLUE XHO with plans to maybe add 2 more 72" Reefbrite 50/50 XHO depending on par and color. I like more of the 14k look.

I am planning for a mixed tank but heavy on the SPS side

What's your thought on that configuration?

OP
OP
MGarrison

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekend Update!

It was a long but rewarding weekend. Got rock and sand into the tank. Luckily, I decided that I should test the overflow bulkheads prior to filling up the tank. I had one bad bulkhead. I replaced it and there still maybe a drip coming from it. I am going to let it sit for a day or two to observe. Once water is in that tank there will be no moving it and getting to the bulkheads will be a huge pain.

Here are some pics of the aquascape:
Full tank shot
IMG_0569.JPG

Left side:
IMG_0570.JPG
IMG_0575.JPG

Center:
Made a hole for where we hope the Yellow headed Jaw fish will live. Was on Wife's project approval list! Sand is 1" or less in spots and from past tanks I know that Jaw fish need/like more sand than that. Didn't want to put 3-4" of sand in the entire tank so I build this area hope he/she likes it.
IMG_0571.JPG
IMG_0576.JPG

Right side:
IMG_0572.JPG
IMG_0577.JPG

Down the sides:
Right Side
IMG_0574.JPG

Left Side
IMG_0573.JPG

Over all I think it came out well, not what I had pictured in my head but I worked with what I had and am happy with it.
I think there is plenty of space and spots for the corals I want and most important I think I have plenty of swimming room for the fish I plan on keeping. IMG_0575.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
MGarrison

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the water, seed rock and powerheads (2 xf350 on ends and 2 Tunze 6105 on the back) in. Brought my ammonia up to 2ppm using Microbacter Quickcycl and added in Microbacter Start XLM. Now its a waiting game.

IMG_0578.jpg

In the meantime the kids decided that the sump could use some "flare".
IMG_0579.jpg

Kind of disappointed that the most expensive part came with the smallest and very plain sticker, although they did put a branded pen in the box too. :) From my tuner days this should give the sump an extra 100 HP right?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very nice tank !!
Welcome back to the R2R community !!

OP
OP
MGarrison

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added my order from IPSF today! Everything about it was beyond my expectations from the diversity of the critters, the packaging and the freebies. I would highly recommend IPSF!
Here's what I got:
6bristles,wondermud,liquidnreducer,6StrombusGrazers,6nerite,6littorinid,podflakes,podmat,livesandactivator
reefplankton,20ReefAmphipods,6mamamiaworms,6ministars,6CometStars
6 bonus Ministars, 1 Green Toadstool, 1 Blastos
Plus countless other things added Macro algae, hermits, additional snails and worms.

OP
OP
MGarrison

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't posted any updates here in a while... but posting for the Hanna giveaway! :)

Phos = 0.034 - Hanna HI736
Nitrates = 3 - Nyos
ALK = 8.736 - Hanna HI755
Cal = 390 - Hanna HI758
Mag = 1440 - Red Sea Magnesium Pro
Salinity = 35 ppt - Milwaukee MA887

OP
OP
MGarrison

MGarrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0364.JPG IMG_0365.JPG IMG_0366.JPG IMG_0367.JPG IMG_0368.JPG

Some new Frags came in today!

JF Solar Flare
WWC Kung Pao Monti
RRC Marvin the Martian Mini Colony
TCK Rainbow Polyps Tenuis
TCK Insane Milli
TCK Ultron Favia
ARC Master Yoda
TCK Gold Milli
Sanjay's Grape Concord

Thanks @TCK Corals

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back