Jumping in again...build thread! Need help deciding tank!

OP
OP
KPK

KPK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving slow and steady. I have a few parts piling up but about to have fun with this little frag/qt tank.

I like the Red Sea tanks I just like diy so much I hate to buy a full setup at this point I think a planet aquarium is in my near future
846C867B-B1D1-4056-9170-EDC2DC9C6C01.jpeg
2104D05D-F420-4598-9B44-74E85E2FBD48.jpeg

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dig that setup man. I was going to do something similar with 2 of the rubbermaid's but ended up getting approval from the wife to go with some custom acrylic.

Check out Crystal Dynamic, they do amazing work.

OP
OP
KPK

KPK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll check them out! Seems like I have and were pretty pricey? This little rubbermaid was on sale for $62 so it was hard not to grab one for fun. About $40 in the stand too.

Njdevils1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would never buy a RedSea tank. I think Planet is the best you can buy for the money. Their quality is excellent. Their silicone work looks clean and sturdy. RedSea just expanded their warranty period on tanks due to seams springing leaks. I also like how you have more options for equipment and DIY plumbing with Planet. I think the Redsea sumps and Waterbox sumps are useless in comparison to aftermarket acrylic sumps like Bashsea, Trigger, Luna, Geo, Synergy.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll check them out! Seems like I have and were pretty pricey? This little rubbermaid was on sale for $62 so it was hard not to grab one for fun. About $40 in the stand too.
They are, but the work is top notch and they'll do whatever you want. If I were to buy another glass tank I wouldn't hesitate and I think you'll see that from a lot of the other people on here who have bought from them.

OP
OP
KPK

KPK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would never buy a RedSea tank. I think Planet is the best you can buy for the money. Their quality is excellent. Their silicone work looks clean and sturdy. RedSea just expanded their warranty period on tanks due to seams springing leaks. I also like how you have more options for equipment and DIY plumbing with Planet. I think the Redsea sumps and Waterbox sumps are useless in comparison to aftermarket acrylic sumps like Bashsea, Trigger, Luna, Geo, Synergy.

Exactly, I just know myself and I’d change it all about 30 days after I got it.

I had originally planned to get a Red Sea but as I was looking I was already thinking I’d rather have a trigger sump and would upgrade later. That’s kinda pointless. Buy once cry one. I like the Red Sea though no doubt. Nice looking setups.

Njdevils1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, I just know myself and I’d change it all about 30 days after I got it.

I had originally planned to get a Red Sea but as I was looking I was already thinking I’d rather have a trigger sump and would upgrade later. That’s kinda pointless. Buy once cry one. I like the Red Sea though no doubt. Nice looking setups.
Yeah but I also like that planet offers the external overflow as well as dual returns at each end. I also like their presence at the trade shows. Very nice and up front guys.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would like to add that Red Sea has had issues with one particular tank. Every other tank in there product line has an excellent track record and has since they came out. Now I'm a custom man through and through and will always suggest going for a custom setup if the budget allows because as you say, there is no beating the flexibility you get going custom. But theres nothing wrong with going with a Red Sea system atall. Especially the 425s or 525s they have been around for YEARS with 0 issues....

Njdevils1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reasons arent so much for quality as it is custom. I can piece together a more efficient system for equal or less but I get that isn't for everyone. But if you are into doing it all yourself I find it the better route.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 58 43.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 63 47.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back