Junior's Reef Command Center Build

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its finally time to build a respectable area to house this obsession.

I've just about finished the demolition part of the project. Last night i got the last of the asbestos tile, pad, carpet, pad, and more carpet off the basement floor.

Hopefully tomorrow I can start laying some tile down and get this project in full swing.

The rooms rough dimensions are 14 x 20. It will have a commercial exhaust fan to remove excess moisture out of the house. 3 Dedicated 20 amp circuits. 2 of which will GFCI protected. All will use outdoor weather proof sealed outlet boxes.

Currently I have the following setup ready to go.

1 96" x 24" x 12" grow out tank with (2) 1 1/2" overflows, (1) 1" return

(1) 150 gallon rubber-maid sump that will have around 200-300 lbs of live rock, and house my DNW-250 skimmer from Reef Octopus.

(1) 50 gallon (36" x 18" x 18") Remote Refugium w/ 8" sand bed, and 5-6 varieties of macro algae.

Flow will be provided by a Vortech Powerhead w/ wireless controller, and 36 hour battery backup.

Main tank will be bare bottom, and black egg crate will be used for all racks.

Half the tank will be for SPS, and will have (2) metal halides for lighting, and the other half will be lit by a 48" 8 bulb TEK T5HO fixture from sunlight supply.

I would love some recommendations for a return pump (external). There will only be about 3-4 feet of head pressure so shouldn't need to be crazy.

The fuge will have its own overflow, and return pump.

Top off will be provided via a Tunze Osmolator run inline with a GEO kalk reactor.

Calcium will be provided via a GEO 624 calcium reactor with 20 lbs of GEN-X media.

Carbon is provided via a GEO 418 media reactor fed by a MAXI-jet 1200, and holds about 2+ lbs of media.

(1) 10 gallon photo tank w/ a 24" TEK T5HO for lighting will also be tied into the grow-out system.

Also, to be added will be isolation tanks for each category. i.e. fish/inverts/coral.

Once this is up and running for about 8 weeks, i will transfer the livestock from my 4' tank over.

Shortly there after i will begin piecing together the needed hardware for a 72" x 36" x 26" display tank with a starphire front panel, and will be built in wall.

All hardware for this system is up in the air, pending budget and performance requirements.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude serious WOW!!! That's awesome!! Uh I hope your taking pics..

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but I had to do this...

pichers1.jpg

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol, i knew that was coming, especially considering I'm always hounding people for pics.

Have some decisions to make on the setup...discovered some problems in the design of the room during the Demo...(*&^^^$in Ibeams and poles!!!:mad:

SO...Display tank may not be my desired size, but we will see.

If i had to guess the total gallons including all tanks in the room...

about 550-600 gallons if i had to guess...

Problem is every time i have money for a piece of hardware, or materials, i find some amazing coral and come home broke....

KEEPERZ

TOTM March 08'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring it Junior-congrats!! I had the same king stud issues on my tank or it would have been 120" instead of 108"-sucked-just remember on the display at 26" you will lose 2-3" to hide the top water line on an inwall style tank-

Last edited:
OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah ha, very good point...

the display is a ways off, especially the tank, as it will be the last thing i purchase. But i will definately keep that in the back of my head.

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still a mess, but its getting there.

The DEMO is done, except for the old paneling, but ill do that later.

The first wall is 95% done, and should wrapped up later tonight.

But heres some quick pics of where im at right now.

Ill be laying tile hopefully this weekend.

Demo-Complete.jpg

first-wall-up-1.jpg

fish-room-shot.jpg

OP
OP
JuniorMC8704

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh it will be man cave esk thats for sure...

The whole basement is going to be filled with tropical plants (high quality fakes, as there is no light) and hopefully have an island feel.

that and a nice high def LCD Ive got ready to mount.

Hoping Home Depot doesn't run out of their 99 cent sand colored porcelain tile before the weekend.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back