Just a thought: cleaner shrimp preventing corals from thriving?

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 of the first additions to the tank were my cleaner shrimp. Added 2 blood shrimp later on. Ever since I started the tank, certain (quite a few actually) corals have struggled. Either not opening up at all, only partially opening up or completely shriveling up multiple times a day.

I believe both my lighting and flow are fine and my latest icp test didn't show anything out of place, yet these problems are still around. One example are acans. I bought a few frags almost a year ago and they never properly extended and eventually died. Now that my parameters are stable, I tried again a few weeks ago. Again, after just a few days they stopped extending properly. I've tried multiple spots, but it doesn't matter. Another example are my Euphyllia. They look great and are huge. However, they randomly shrivel up throughout the day. Sometimes just once, other times up to 3 or 4 times a day. It's always just one or two corals.

I've tried running activated carbon, doesn't make a difference. I make sure corals don't touch each other/ are out of each others reach. Never see any corals fighting. Although I rarely dip corals, I do dip them when they seem to be struggling or are often agitated. I also have a canary wrasse that hunts bugs all day long, so I'd imagine he'll pick off a lot of pests if there are any.

The only thing I can think of that's left are the cleaner and blood shrimp. They've always been in the tank. They (especially the cleaners) walk all over the corals and during feeding time they grab whatever they can, often stealing from the corals. Is it possible that they are the cause of my problems? Of course it's easy to find out, but they're among my favorite animals in the tank. If they do cause problems, I'll get rid of them right away, but I'd rather not.

Note: I don't have any fish that pick at corals, neither can I find anything at night that bothers them, except for the shrimp.

Another note: my sps is doing pretty good. Sure, not tremendous growth, but they are definitely growing with great polyp extension. It's mostly lps that struggles a bit. My tank isn't clean at all, nutrients are quite high actually.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of cleaner shrimp irritating corals, especially LPS. I hesitate to say it's the definitive cause, however. You can take them out and see if it makes a difference. Banish them to the sump perhaps.

Last edited:

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 of the first additions to the tank were my cleaner shrimp. Added 2 blood shrimp later on. Ever since I started the tank, certain (quite a few actually) corals have struggled. Either not opening up at all, only partially opening up or completely shriveling up multiple times a day.

I believe both my lighting and flow are fine and my latest icp test didn't show anything out of place, yet these problems are still around. One example are acans. I bought a few frags almost a year ago and they never properly extended and eventually died. Now that my parameters are stable, I tried again a few weeks ago. Again, after just a few days they stopped extending properly. I've tried multiple spots, but it doesn't matter. Another example are my Euphyllia. They look great and are huge. However, they randomly shrivel up throughout the day. Sometimes just once, other times up to 3 or 4 times a day. It's always just one or two corals.

I've tried running activated carbon, doesn't make a difference. I make sure corals don't touch each other/ are out of each others reach. Never see any corals fighting. Although I rarely dip corals, I do dip them when they seem to be struggling or are often agitated. I also have a canary wrasse that hunts bugs all day long, so I'd imagine he'll pick off a lot of pests if there are any.

The only thing I can think of that's left are the cleaner and blood shrimp. They've always been in the tank. They (especially the cleaners) walk all over the corals and during feeding time they grab whatever they can, often stealing from the corals. Is it possible that they are the cause of my problems? Of course it's easy to find out, but they're among my favorite animals in the tank. If they do cause problems, I'll get rid of them right away, but I'd rather not.

Note: I don't have any fish that pick at corals, neither can I find anything at night that bothers them, except for the shrimp.

Another note: my sps is doing pretty good. Sure, not tremendous growth, but they are definitely growing with great polyp extension. It's mostly lps that struggles a bit. My tank isn't clean at all, nutrients are quite high actually.

Very easy to figure out. Remove the shrimp. They are basically useless for anything but decoration. Fish or corals or any other invert will eat the food they don't eat.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe try a net with bait inside? Hold it very still. It should work, but will likely require some patience!

boatguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of the hobby for about 10 years. That being said I never had any issue with a cleaner shrimp. They were prob the best tank mates ever. I did have some issues with the dark red "blood shrimp". They were a bit more forward when it came to feeding time. My guess is that if you have a cleaner shrimp actively eating at a coral...there might be another issue. Watch closely and banish them to the sump for now but I think there is something else going on.

OP
OP
Bars

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took some effort, but they've been out of the tank for a few days now.

They weren't eating coral, but rather stealing food and walking over them. My Trachyphyllia has been retracted for weeks during the day and I couldn't figure out why. Within 2 days after removing the shrimp, he puffed up like crazy. The Blastos were already doing great, but they are looking even better as well. The torches aren't randomly closing up during the last 2 hours with lights on anymore either. The cleaners used to hang below their rock during these hours.

So, succes I guess. At least I can spot feed without worries again, pretty sure my Acans will appreciate that.

Marine Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the cleaner shrimp in my experience will only mess with corals if you feed the coral and the cleaner shrimp finds out, it will learn that by stressing out the coral the coral releases the food... Like a vending machine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.3%
Back