0   0   0
And the big picture:)

1587229998701.png

ReeferRhett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks amazing even with the Cyanobacteria. (I really like the orange coral in the back corner, I can’t tell what it is though.) It may be different, because my tank is tiny. When I had Cyanobacteria in my 16 gallon biocube, I added flow and kept with my regular feeding and water change schedule. In my opinion most of this stuff will sort itself out. I would just brush it off my corals and let it grow elsewhere. It died out in my tank once it overtook all the space I let it. I hope this helped. This is my most recent picture of the biocube, it has been mostly algae/bacteria free for a while. It’s an ultra low tech, so I’m not sure if my methods will work for your significantly more advanced (and very impressive) tank.

82C15D93-1400-4FBE-9649-C346F1F5A881.jpeg

OP
OP
LC8Sumi

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks amazing even with the Cyanobacteria. (I really like the orange coral in the back corner, I can’t tell what it is though.) It may be different, because my tank is tiny. When I had Cyanobacteria in my 16 gallon biocube, I added flow and kept with my regular feeding and water change schedule. In my opinion most of this stuff will sort itself out. I would just brush it off my corals and let it grow elsewhere. It died out in my tank once it overtook all the space I let it. I hope this helped. This is my most recent picture of the biocube, it has been mostly algae/bacteria free for a while. It’s an ultra low tech, so I’m not sure if my methods will work for your significantly more advanced (and very impressive) tank.

82C15D93-1400-4FBE-9649-C346F1F5A881.jpeg
Thank You! Your tank looks good as well! Actually your advice makes perfect sense, and is what I should do as well.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the flow right now..

Sorry for filming it with a potato:D

Wow you have a lot of flow! Don’t think that’s an issue :)

Is there a specific area where the detritus collects? That you could then easily siphon and remove the majority of the nasties all at once? When I turkey baste before a water change, I turn the flow off completely so I can just blast everything to the spot I want to siphon. You have a larger tank than me (I’m at 28g) but it should still work.

OP
OP
LC8Sumi

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow you have a lot of flow! Don’t think that’s an issue :)

Is there a specific area where the detritus collects? That you could then easily siphon and remove the majority of the nasties all at once? When I turkey baste before a water change, I turn the flow off completely so I can just blast everything to the spot I want to siphon. You have a larger tank than me (I’m at 28g) but it should still work.

I'm not really happy with the flow as it's pretty noisy (splashing around) & still seems like it is not enough.
Detritus settles on and inside the rockwork, and there is no way to blow it out apart from manually basting it 6 times a day.

What annoys me is that I see better SPS tanks than mine with probably 1/10 of the flow thriving and ultraclean.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just from watching your video, I think you may be correct - so much flow up top that detritus isn’t efficiently making it into the overflow. You don’t have sand, so could you redirect your gyres to go down?

OP
OP
LC8Sumi

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates:

1, Miraculously I was able to get 7 spoons, but not more :D, of Chemiclean from my LFS round the corner (they've moved here recently, and I love that they are 2 minutes away), so I've started a 48h CC treatment.
- Ghetto skimmer overflow protection during the treatment:
1587476915043.png

Notice how the filter wool is purple/red in the media cups.. I've swapped those in 4 hrs ago. It's insane how everything is full with cyano in this tank right now. It's not the chemiclean that lifted the cyano already & sent it down to the filter media.. It's just it's present everywhere.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!! Don't read the part below if you mostly seek positive vibes on this forum !!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2, The second update is - sorry about this, as I know this goes against the mentality of this forum, and the commonly accepted mentality in this whole hobby for that matter - So the second update is about the GHL Doser I have. I'm probably the one and only guy on the planet, who is actually mostly disappointed by GHL products, but that's how things are. I'd like to be and stay honest, instead of putting on a pink visor & justify how spending hundreds of bucks on a poor quality / poorly implemented product was a good idea.
Anyway, I won't get into (for now) the negatives about the Profilux, I'll just talk about the Doser.

1587479240161.png

I've bought this doser half a year ago second hand. Previous owner told me he bought it a couple months prior new from an old stock (which is legit, as I've also seen the stock being on sale at my LFS). So the total runtime of this unit is a year, tops, but probably even less.

I also have a 4 channel Jebao DP-4 doser which is around 4-5 years old. I've been running it most of the time, except for a year, when I was running a calcium rector.

This GHL is originally a 3 head doser, but I needed a 4th head. I had two choices. I could get a head from GHL for around a hundred bucks (which is again ridiculous, as a COMPLETE 4 channel slave (the GHL doser is also a slave by the way) Jebao doser costs around $40), or I could swap one of the heads from the Jebao onto this doser. Obviously that's what I did.

You would think that paying like 10x the price for a quality "German" dosing head is worth it, after all even just by looking at it looks like it is better made, but here is where it all went wrong:

After about a month of usage, the 3 GHL heads started to squeak pretty annoyingly. I've took them apart as suggested on forums, cleaned them, re-calibrated them (this whole procedure takes about 2 hrs), and that made them quiet again. I was like, this isn't going to be great, as during the past 5 years, I've never had to take apart the cheap Jebao doser.

So after a week or so one of the heads started to squeak again, then a couple days later the other 2 heads also followed (meanwhile the 4th head, the Jebao one was still as good as new). I've posted the issue onto the GHL facebook group, hoping for someone who has experienced something similar, but of course as you would expect from snobs who fork out money on the full product line + have 6 extra dosing heads idle "just in case", I mainly just got laughed at (for having problems with an "old" unit).

Anyway, a guy suggested that it could be the silicone tubes that are inside the head have hardened (and that they should be replaced yearly anyway). I don't know why this would happen on a ~1 year old doser (looking at the cheap Jebao, which is still soft as new), but yeah.. "You get what you pay for". So I've swapped the tubes from the old Jebao into the GHL heads, cleaned the GHL heads again, re-calibrated them (2hrs again), and they are now again quiet.

Only time will tell (a couple weeks) if this has solved the "issue", or if there is something else going on and need to come up with a better idea. But one thing for sure, I'm not pulling apart the heads every 2-4 weeks to keep this thing running normally & I'm also not investing any more money into this brand.

OP
OP
LC8Sumi

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after going back and forth with Red Sea about my cabinet issue, I made myslef a little support to hold up the middle part.

The bow of the tank got so great, I was able to fit two A4 papers under the tank like such:

1588276624506.png

The gap started to grow too big to live with it comfortably & also the wood crossmember was flexing unnaturally, waiting for it to snap/crack. Red Sea said this is perfectly normal and I shouldn't be concerned about it. Okay. I know this isn't a big hit for them, but from this day I'm never again buying anything from them. (And that's a big thing from someone who was in love with the brand & used all of their supplements, salt, nopox, and whatnot.)

1588276587109.png

OP
OP
LC8Sumi

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Triton-ICP results just came back (sent them a week ago), and I have to say that I'm pretty satisfied with the results. Apart from the elevated Lanthanum (LaCl3 dosing to lower phosphate) everything seems pretty good. This is with the Aquaforest Component 1+2+3+ balling - while it is probably the most expensive balling solution, it really does create amazing results & must say the SPS in my tank have never looked so good (and I even used to run a Calcium reactor!:)).

I run the Kh at 7-7.3 dKh and just recently switched to Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt.

I should probably use Aquaforest's ICP in the future, so the setpoint parameters matches their program and not Triton's (Looking at the Alk-Ca-Mag in first place)

1589303536867.png

1589303552723.png

1589303566552.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
LC8Sumi

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I'm moving homes, so the tank is finally getting shut down. I'll keep the expensive parts (lights, skimmer, ghl, gyres) just in case I'll ever get back to the hobby, but I sure need a couple years away from it
:D
. The tank is garbage and going in the bin with its sagging cabinet + I've came to the conclusion that running a tank double this size wouldn't cost really more (most of the equipment I have would run a double sized tank just as well), but would be much stable and obviously would have more space.

Here is a short final clip of it:

rcamps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you find the BK mini 160 ran on the 55g tank ? I just picked one up for my 60g cube and I was affraid it wont perform on the small tank.

rcamps23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved it. It is a bit noisy for my liking, but the quality of the foam is worth it.
Noisy ? I heard the complete opposite... I went with the BK over the Nyos as I heard it was silent. Hopefully I won't regret it. I have been trying to purchase equipment on a noise/performance basis. No issues with the bioload of the 55g ? How many fish ?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How close are you to setting the tank back up? It was a great reef!

OP
OP
LC8Sumi

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noisy ? I heard the complete opposite... I went with the BK over the Nyos as I heard it was silent. Hopefully I won't regret it. I have been trying to purchase equipment on a noise/performance basis. No issues with the bioload of the 55g ? How many fish ?

Yeah, it is noisy (for my ears). But mine has an AC pump, so maybe if you got the DC it’ll be more quiet. I had around 9-10 fishes if I remember correctly. The performance was really great.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back