Just bought a RODI unit

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your assessment is correct. No flush valve.

The flush can be done that way, but why? A valve is literally pennies at the bulk prices they are probably paying. Worst case say it's an extra buck (or £), it's a worthwhile investment for ease of use. Who wants to remove the membrane everytime they swap carbon blocks.

Good news it's an easy adjustment for the future. Double good news the flush valve is not your current issue with the unit!

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The flush can be done that way, but why? A valve is literally pennies at the bulk prices they are probably paying. Worst case say it's an extra buck (or £), it's a worthwhile investment for ease of use. Who wants to remove the membrane everytime they swap carbon blocks.
Yeah ball ache indeed.
If I was op I would be thinking is there any way to send this back ( free off charge without p and p and buy another with a flush valve on it.the post of mine above same price as op ( a vyair 4 stage compact unit) but has a flush valve .
Or if couldnt return back free of charge ( like unhappy as no flush valve as usually get 14 day period on some things ) and if bought through amazon they usually pretty good, just tell them can't be dismantling unit everytime when change carbon block and could even tell amazon about life of di resin may not last aslong or something like this .

Or just buy and Install a flush valve as guessing they cheap enough and as puahfit connectors be truly simple to Install.

But to op,if do buy another unit ,whenever that maybe,imo after my research I decided was best to get a unit with a booster pump and defo needed buy a seperate inline tds meter to check tds ( I bought the 2 stage tds meter but can get 3 stage so can check tds after or before 3 parts your unit.
Anyway good luck.

Also different times of day the flow and pressure differentuates slightly depending how close/ far you are from pumping Station and for example say 5- 6 pm as alot get home from work and running baths/ showers/rinsing vegetables for tea/ filling kettles up etc etc then more people are drawing more water from the main cold water supply pipe so this affects what comes out of the tap slightly so if make water in off peak times then this could help you a bit.
But as I say depends how far away you are from pumping station and if you had your mains replaced and not got old main pipes full off leaks and holes everywhere lol
( which you would be amazed how much water gets wasted before water even gets to our taps,I know I was when did my water regulations,and used to work on yorkshire water treatment plant when was a commercial plumber in bradford before moved to Liverpool) but anyhow I digress pffft

Good luck ^_^

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ball ache indeed.
If I was op I would be thinking is there any way to send this back ( free off charge without p and p and buy another with a flush valve on it.the post of mine above same price as op ( a vyair 4 stage compact unit) but has a flush valve .
Or if couldnt return back free of charge ( like unhappy as no flush valve as usually get 14 day period on some things ) and if bought through amazon they usually pretty good, just tell them can't be dismantling unit everytime when change carbon block and could even tell amazon about life of di resin may not last aslong or something like this .

Or just buy and Install a flush valve as guessing they cheap enough and as puahfit connectors be truly simple to Install.

iFilters Reverse Osmosis RO Flush Kit Valve for any standard RO system, 1/4" QC Ports

Not sure what the UK Amazon options are but looking like here in the US it's about $10.

Install is straight forward, the 'kit' model is nice for the simple fact it's ready to go precut and everything you just swap in your current flow restriction.

However, you are overpaying for a ball valve, 2 fittings, and some tubing.

Depends on the OPs comfort level.

But to op,if do buy another unit ,whenever that maybe,imo after my research I decided was best to get a unit with a booster pump and defo needed buy a seperate inline tds meter to check tds ( I bought the 2 stage tds meter but can get 3 stage so can check tds after or before 3 parts your unit.
Anyway good luck.

Booster pumps are often overlooked by everyone shopping for RO. It's not until you start using and interacting/understanding how it functions that the booster makes the most sense.

Now at the same time 95%+ are probably more than capable of running units without them. It just becomes how valuable is your own time, water and efficiency?

The booster pump pays for itself in time.

Also different times of day the flow and pressure differentuates slightly depending how close/ far you are from pumping Station and for example say 5- 6 pm as alot get home from work and running baths/ showers/rinsing vegetables for tea/ filling kettles up etc etc then more people are drawing more water from the main cold water supply pipe so this affects what comes out of the tap slightly so if make water in off peak times then this could help you a bit.

Temperature will also change throughout the day. Low temps give you less water, but it's 'cleaner'. Higher temps will produce more water but it's 'dirtier' and by 'clean' and 'dirty' I'm referring to the outgoing TDS from the RO membrane.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah pretty much same price here,here's one from same manufacturer as op rodi unit,maybe they don't include flush valve as some may realise after it helps having one then they got a " aos" add on sale ha ha

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah pretty much same price here,here's one from same manufacturer as op rodi unit,maybe they don't include flush valve as some may realise after it helps having one then they got a " aos" add on sale ha ha

Very well could be the case sadly.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Booster pumps are often overlooked by everyone shopping for RO. It's not until you start using and interacting/understanding how it functions that the booster makes the most sense.

Now at the same time 95%+ are probably more than capable of running units without them. It just becomes how valuable is your own time, water and efficiency?

The booster pump pays for itself in time.
Due to me having health problems,I bought my first saltwater tank and it sat empty for 5 years till finally fit enough to fill it up,so had extra 5 years of reading through r2r threads and other forums and lots articles/ youtube videos which helped me tremendously .
Didn't stick to what I said I would after all this 5 years more research though ,main one was qt fish and corals which wish I did now ha ha,especially qt corals as got little black bugs eating my green slimer pfft but we live and learn hey

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While your here @Woodyman
How long rodi water ok to just sit there without getting used?
Say at room temp and blacked out ,like on dark room or with cover over .no pump in Container circulating it or nothing.just literally in container with lid on

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I didn’t exactly go for the most prestigious brand, so I expected some shortcuts hahaha

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While your here @Woodyman
How long rodi water ok to just sit there without getting used?
Say at room temp and blacked out ,like on dark room or with cover over .no pump in Container circulating it or nothing.just literally in container with lid on

In theory, forever. Given it's in a sealed, sterile, and non leeching container.

In practicality, it's going to depend on a combination of factors.

Let's go down your example. Room temp, light impenetrable container, closed with the lid one, and not opened unnecessarily (say 3 times a week). I'd wager to guess you would be ok for at least 3 months, given your container is clean when the water is added, and your not adding contamination everytime you so open it up.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory, forever. Given it's in a sealed, sterile, and non leeching container.

Let's go down your example. Room temp, light impenetrable container, closed with the lid one, and not opened unnecessarily (say 3 times a week). I'd wager to guess you would be ok for at least 3 months, given your container is clean when the water is added, and your not adding contamination everytime you so open it up.

I make up ~90-100 gallons at a time (2- 44 gallon brutes, although they probably sit closer to 40 gallons and I keep 3 5-gallon sealed buckets as well.)

This lasts me ~3-6 weeks depending on if life gets in the way and I skip or add a water change, or do more than normal. I'd say 5 weeks is typical with my usual routine.

The brutes are in my basement with the lids on. So closed, but I wouldn't say 'sealed' the buckets on the other hand have the food grade sealing kids, so I'd consider those 'sealed'.

Now I've never done any studies on the water as it ages, but I've never had any problems that would lead me to investigate either.

Bottom line in a 'sealed' container in my basement at ~65°F I've never had issue using 6 month old water. I've also never had an issue using 2 month old 'closed' container water.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok great thanks

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great thanks

Your welcome. Just remember that's just my scenario. Your milage may vary. While I'm sure they would both be fine for 6+ months I've never had it sit around that long and had to try.

Just depends on how clean it was starting out, and how contamination free it stays over time.

Back