Just bought Fusion Pro 2 10 AIO Aquarium w/ APS Stand - Black. Need some help planning

laconic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know I need a light, sand, and rock. Which light would work? Would this be a nano or aoi build for a build thread? What else do I need? I want to do a budget build. I plan on having Zoa’s and Ricordia One clown. would a yellow watchman gobie and pistol shrimp be too much?

thanks

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For lighting look at a Kessil A80 Tuna Blue. I find something other than a Clown fish. It will be ok while small, but will get aggressive in such a small tank. You have a much better chance of keeping another fish with something other than a clown.

I like a possum wrasse.

OP
OP
laconic

laconic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What kind of budget are you working with? Sky's the limit, cut every corner or something between?
I will be looking at the market place for deals but I would like good equipment. I have set a budget yet but thinking another $600 for equipment.

OP
OP
laconic

laconic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was thinking of building stand out of 8020 but it wouldn’t be as nice and cost more

Last edited:

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do I get the gulf rock and sand
There's a number of good vendors. Tampa Bay Saltwater, KP Aquatics, Gulf Liverock. I think others might chime in. I put 100% Tampa Bay Saltwater (TBS) rock and sand in my IM Fusion 10g. It was largely headache-free (unlike my other nano that started with dry rock/sand) up until I got bubble algae. Get on that quick, because it's hard to clear in a nano (only emerald crabs will tackle it).

To elaborate, with dry rock/sand in my Evo, I had waves of algae issues, mostly GHA and dinos. Took several chemical approaches, UV, manual approaches, constantly trying new clean-up crew, and the only thing that really seemed to fix the problem was replacing half the rocks and sand with extra TBS rocks/sand I bought for my 10g.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooohh, I highly recommend! Looks like you are in driving distance of Tampa Bay Saltwater! That is huge! Arrange for local pickup and truly minimize travel/shipping time.

I loved my rocks I got from them.
Didn't realize the proximity. Local pickup for TBS is a dream come true!

If you are concerned about hitchhikers, there are plenty of threads here talking about hitchhikers and how to deal with them or prevent them getting into your tank.

For example, regarding live sand, I sifted the sand that came from TBS and removed a few suspect worms--nothing nightmarish.

For the rocks, I did inspect them (while someone dowsed them continually with saltwater), but still got a few gorilla crabs and eunice worms. The former can be removed by traps relatively easily, especially in the early stages. The latter are something that must be lived with, as they are permanent rock residents and devikishly hard to remove--the good news is that the horror stories about bobbit worms largely don't apply since they are mostly detritivores from the gulf (not the sand-dwelling ambush predators seen in videos). Still, creepy. Take them over the uglies, any day though.

Food for thought!

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't realize the proximity. Local pickup for TBS is a dream come true!

If you are concerned about hitchhikers, there are plenty of threads here talking about hitchhikers and how to deal with them or prevent them getting into your tank.

For example, regarding live sand, I sifted the sand that came from TBS and removed a few suspect worms--nothing nightmarish.

For the rocks, I did inspect them (while someone dowsed them continually with saltwater), but still got a few gorilla crabs and eunice worms. The former can be removed by traps relatively easily, especially in the early stages. The latter are something that must be lived with, as they are permanent rock residents and devikishly hard to remove--the good news is that the horror stories about bobbit worms largely don't apply since they are mostly detritivores from the gulf (not the sand-dwelling ambush predators seen in videos). Still, creepy. Take them over the uglies, any day though.

Food for thought!
Yep Yep Yep! My tank is 6 months old and acts like it is 2 years old. ZERO nuisance algae. I did an observation period of 30 days with no sand. Made catching undesirables easier. Added a single fish after 10 days.

I encourage you to engage TBS on the front end and start a discussion about your needs and goals.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 75 68.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back