Just got a fish for christmas im already gonna have to return

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asked for a small fish for my 20 gallon, but obviously i wasnt mkre specific. My sister picked up a 1.5 inch purple tang from my lfs and its gonna hurt breaking the news that i cant keep it. Even worse, the store doesnt accept returns.
I've always made family members aware not to buy livestock but gift cards to lfs instead. It's just easier that way and they understand

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely call and speak with the owner/manager. I would blame this mostly on the store for not asking any questions or being more educational to your sister who had absolutely no clue but it’s the thought that counts!:)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also post on Facebook or Craigslist to see if anyone want to buy it off of you (maybe at a discounted price if you want it to move quickly?). That way you and your sister aren’t totally out the cost.
If you use FB you gotta be crafty with how you word it, they dont let you sell livestock. Got a post taken down for an EMPTY tank that I posted for sale cause the picture showed it when I had fish in it… yeah I know nuts, cause seriously everyone sells fish there lol but if you word it right I bet you could do it, or list it here!

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the shop won’t take him, check with local Zoo’s or Aquariums if there are any nearby. They may be willing to rehome it at least. And it may get to go live in a massive tank where its life would be pretty good. So no reason to feel bad.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the shop won’t take him, check with local Zoo’s or Aquariums if there are any nearby. They may be willing to rehome it at least. And it may get to go live in a massive tank where its life would be pretty good. So no reason to feel bad.

This is a great idea!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either sell him- or pay it forward :) A purple tang is easy to re-home. Make another reefer happy this year maybe?

On a seperate, a fish shop that don't ask relevant questions does not accept returns of livestock is not a responsible fish shop and should not be used going forward.. :) They don't care for the animals they sell - just the $$$ sadly.

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great idea!

I jumped the gun on buying a “small” fox face for a 40 gallon tank. It was lovely, but looked massive when I stuck it in my tank. I have a 120, but it isn’t running yet so I was worried it would outgrow the tank before I got to around to setting it up.And I am in no rush to set up the 120.

When I called, the shop I bought him from said they couldn’t accept the return because they had no space for him anymore.

So, I called around and the local aquarium sounded more than happy to accept it as a surrender. Unless it’s something fancy I wouldn’t expect payment. But, if you’re goal is to do what’s best for the fish, not a bad move if you ask me. They get to move on to a larger system than I’ll ever have and they get to teach kids about the magic of the ocean.

However, another lfs swapped it with a much smaller one for no charge. So I took the swap so I didn’t lose out on the money haha.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back