Just left Petco super depressed

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in my local Petco today and was absolutely horrified at their marine section. All the fish were diseased and the tanks were loaded with nuisance algaes/diatoms. I haven't been in to a big box pet store in a while and seeing stuff like this makes me understand why some want to persecute our hobby. What have you guys/gals seen in the big box pet stores near you? I'm hoping my local store is not representative of what is out there nationwide. Ugh!!

ryanmell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is hit or miss there are about 4 around my area and 2 are in bad shape but the other two are ran by a couple of reefers and those stores tanks look good and they care about their stock and the husbandry of the tanks so I think a lot of it matters about who works in that department.

DustinReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco here is the exact same way, I quit going there to buy any salt even just to hope they quit carrying marine products if they don't sell them. The tanks are filthy, livestock is in horrible health. Liverock looks like spray painted concrete. It's a ridiculous representation of the hobby in my opinion.

OP
OP
WindeyD

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super sad, if dogs/cats were kept in those conditions there would be outrage; keeping marine life entails a level of complexity that should not be left to the unskilled. I know how much most reefers care about our critters, it's a shame to see creatures given no chance for success:(

OP
OP
WindeyD

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco here is the exact same way, I quit going there to buy any salt even just to hope they quit carrying marine products if they don't sell them. The tanks are filthy, livestock is in horrible health. Liverock looks like spray painted concrete. It's a ridiculous representation of the hobby in my opinion.
:(

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super sad, if dogs/cats were kept in those conditions there would be outrage; keeping marine life entails a level of complexity that should not be left to the unskilled. I know how much most reefers care about our critters, it's a shame to see creatures given no chance for success:(
I agree with you, so you are from GA? What pet Co were you at?

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Petland over by me , all there tanks are 88 degrees and litterally fishes are rotting away tail down whatta disgrace everything ive said theyve had an excuse for and theres nothing i can do about it

BetURWrasse

Dysfunctional Veteran
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I'm down in Columbus ga, our petco really isn't that bad anymore. Last year I wouldn't have bought anything and I'm not saying it's great but they appear to have started taking better care here.

OP
OP
WindeyD

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like what I experienced may be more the rule than the exception; certainly one thing we can do is to never buy any reef tank livestock/dry goods from these stores and to spread that message far and wide. So long as these stores are making a profit on marine stuff this irresponsible awfulness will continue.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the frag tank at my local Petco:

11921608_1136976402982379_5682223225593359344_n.jpg

12039389_1136976382982381_4752244898558561013_n.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.6%
Back