Just left Petco super depressed

saltysilverado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their stores are well equipped with supplies for all animals but their marine livestock is a joke cause you can't trust someone who talks about ferrets to be an expert about a reef tank. Stay true to your LFS petco has really no need to sell saltwater livestock.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blame lies mostly with corporate stooges, who handcuff their employees ability to deal with fish disease problems. Simply separating corals/inverts from the fish, and then running copper in the "fish only" system would do wonders. This is how we did it 20-30 years ago and it worked out just fine. I understand many are opposed to copper treatment, but when you are dealing with widespread parasitic infestations running rampant thru your retail systems then it becomes the lesser of two evils. ;) Many wholesalers are still running copper/formalin in their holding facilities, so it's not like most fish haven't been already exposed to harsh chemicals somewhere along the way.

Of course, paying a little more to hire trainable employees wouldn't hurt either. ;)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just plumbing a UV into the common return line would help somewhat. No chemicals, no need to remove corals/inverts. You just need to dial down the UV so the flow is slow enough to zap all free swimming protozoa and change out the bulb every 6 months. :eek:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make sure every place that sold aquatics loves up to the same standard.

It would be easier (and cheaper) to just start banning things. Start with livestock that has a low survival rate in captivity and just keep going until eventually all wild caught livestock is banned from being imported. Your heart is in the right place, my friend, but trust me you don't ever want to task a govt. with solving a problem. ;)

OP
OP
WindeyD

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be easier (and cheaper) to just start banning things. Start with livestock that has a low survival rate in captivity and just keep going until eventually all wild caught livestock is banned from being imported. Your heart is in the right place, my friend, but trust me you don't ever want to task a govt. with solving a problem. ;)
Agreed

Alucard

Stomatopodiatrist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time i went they had a tank full of dead fish and an inside out carpet nem. Also a tank full of LR for sale covered in some nasty algae

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and can you imagine a company like this is about to take over Dr.Foster&Smith + LiveAquaria......hope it's just rumors
They are separate entities. Petco has no authority over F&S. I've been in contact with the VO of Petco in Cali about our stores here in San Antonio. I was actually surprised to see some serious changes after I sent him emails, forum posts and images.

Don't give up. Let me know if you require information in a PM and I'll give you info offline. He is a good guy and been a aquarists for 30 years and really knows his tanks. Most of it comes down to store managers and lack of qualified staff.

I volunteer at two of ours to help maintain some of their systems.

If you want to make a change, offer them help! It starts with us!

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are separate entities. Petco has no authority over F&S. I've been in contact with the VO of Petco in Cali about our stores here in San Antonio. I was actually surprised to see some serious changes after I sent him emails, forum posts and images.

Don't give up. Let me know if you require information in a PM and I'll give you info offline. He is a good guy and been a aquarists for 30 years and really knows his tanks. Most of it comes down to store managers and lack of qualified staff.

I volunteer at two of ours to help maintain some of their systems.

If you want to make a change, offer them help! It starts with us!
You are correct, It was something I've read somewhere around the forums but anyways, turns out they took over LiveAquaria so guess we can't just rule out the possibility of them going after F&S next.

fshp_bnr_liveAquaria.jpg

Puppy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go to all pets club in Branford Connecticut and it's very depressing, dead fish all the time in tanks, and any coral is hard to even see because of the algae growth.

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct, It was something I've read somewhere around the forums but anyways, turns out they took over LiveAquaria so guess we can't just rule out the possibility of them going after F&S next.

fshp_bnr_liveAquaria.jpg
Their parent company (not petco itself) acquired them. But Live Aquaria is and will continue to operate separately of Petco

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
usually the smell of death in general is the first thing that you notice about petco..its sad really. just stick with freshwater fish where water and soem stress coat can cure most of your problems . i cant imagine they dont just bleed lossses in money regarrding saltwater stuff. its bad enough our lfs aroudn here have no knowledge of what they are selling. if you have to look whats written down on the glass to identify a species how can you possibly give me advice on it . Last time the girl took out her phone and googled if this particular freshwater fish was an african cichlid even though i knew it was . it was just amusing to see that some palces just dont give a crap . I couldnt work at pet stores because i feel like i would be too honest and be like ya im sorry thats just a horrible idea.. lol theres no trainign involved anymore , dead fishes , algae in tanks and employees walkign around , hey do you need something ??? no i dont but your store certainly does ..

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their parent company (not petco itself) acquired them. But Live Aquaria is and will continue to operate separately of Petco

As far I know, Petco was founded back in 1965 under the name of UPCO (United Pharmaceutical Company) by Walter Evans and in 1979 it became Petco (Attached photo of the very first Petco store)
Moving forward....Today, Petco is owned, operated and trading at Nasdaq as Petco holding. Petco has 27800 workers today and the current CEO is James Myers.

So who is the parent company of Petco, I'm really confused?

1st_petco-400x266.jpg

Last edited:

Jake Gremaud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pet co's are better than others it's all about who's in charge in the fish and How much they know, petcos are working on improving all saltwater tanks with people in experience

Back