Just ordered a Reefi Uno

MartinM

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Just found out about the Uno, and I hope it’ll solve my problem!

I have a Red Sea 200XL (Photos below) that’s clams and anemones. So, I need a lot of light (clams are currently under 600 PAR) *but* I don’t want it in my living room. I typically use halides (3x 250w Giesemann spectras on my ELOS 200XL) but because of the positioning of the tank near the sofa, halides leak too much light (and obscure the top down viewing too much, also). I’m been using a Red Sea ReefLED 160, but it’s virtually 100% blue, which I not only hate, but so do the anemones. Currently using a Volx Japan GrassyCore fixture, which also uses reflectors similar to the Uno, but the formfactor doesn’t work so well for my cube-shaped tank. I can’t stand lens-based LED disco-ing all over the place, so all the other mainstream LEDs were out for that reason, and the Kessil lights are underpowered unless I went with two, which just ruins the aesthetics over a cube.

So, enter the ReeFi uno. Reflectors, low light leakage, high power (I’m glad it’s 180w, IME I need at least 140w), should work great over a relatively cube shaped tank. I’m definitely looking forward to it, @danlu_gt. I’m also happy that the spectrum is similar to the GrassyCore, which I really like.

I’ll update this when the Uno’s arrive and for now, some tank photos (excuse the ritteri, it’s been moved to my large system):

9CFDA914-5A21-4116-B776-D266F7BD77BB.jpeg
207D2F6D-3E0D-458E-9DCC-EACEFE9F01E8.jpeg
D5811345-40FB-4520-8359-6F6142DE57DE.jpeg

Maxout

Kodski

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Nice! I love my Uno on my tank. Especially for the minimal light spill. I came from a kessil A360x and while I enjoyed that light and color, the Uno looks much better and is a lot more powerful. The simmer on the kessil would give me headaches sometimes due to how strong the shimmer was. With the Uno there is still shimmer, but I definitely forget that its there sometimes because it just looks so much more natural. I'm guessing it would be about the same amount of shimmer you'd get from a halide, but I've never used one.

OP
MartinM

MartinM

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Unfortunately, it didn’t solve my problems.

The Good
- Good spectrum blending, equal to that of my GrassyCore, which means it’s better at blending than any other LED on the market excepting those under a single lens
- 90 degree angle is perfect, and minimal light spill
- High power
- Compact size, good for hanging (mounting kit is too industrial for my taste)
- An incredible value at the price, if that’s your thing (it’s not for me, I don’t care how much things cost)

The Bad
- Far too blue for me and what what I keep (clams and anemones). Looking at the spectrum I expected it would appear whiter, similar to a GrassyCore Reef LED from VolxJapan. Unfortunately, it appears much closer to a Red Sea ReefLED, which was exactly what I was trying to get away from. Color rendition wasn’t as bad as the ReefLED (everything is either blue or gray under that light) but definitely not as good as the GrassyCore. Even more important, clams and anemones just don’t do as well under all blue as they do under a broader spectrum, so it had to go

- The web-based configuration software is truly awful and full of bugs. It could be incompatibility on Safari, but I‘m not downloading another browser just to attempt to solve someone else’s terrible software. If you own an iPhone, don’t own a Reefi Uno as it stands now. I had to use my iPad in an attempt to make it work at all. It’s shockingly bad for 2021

Summary

After about 45 minutes, I took it down. I prefer the GrassyCore light, although I will also see if I can get a Giesemann Infiniti to work without too much light spill (I always prefer halide if possible). I’ll add it to my big stash of lights I’ve bought to test and will probably never use again, haha. If you like the mainstream LEDs on the market, you’ll probably like the Uno more. However, I don’t, so I don’t.

Spectrum (GrassyCore vs Uno)

FDCC80FF-09CE-41A8-8828-5A277EDBFEB3.jpeg

071C2393-CB76-4FB2-B693-6B3C2B975C43.jpeg

(This isn’t apples to apples, because the GrassyCore is showing a percentage scale, while the Uno spectrum profile isn’t)

Final thoughts

Reefi and this product have a ton of potential. It seems very well built, and with a few tweaks, would be my perfect LED light. If I could get the Uno with a few more cool white and warm white diodes, white aluminum housing and cables along with modern software, I’d pay double without hesitation. @danlu_gt, send a message if you 1) make this or 2) want to discuss product iteration/marketing (my strength is direct to consumer product marketing). ;)

@Kodski, nothing looks like a halide except a halide. Typically, if you’re a halide user, you don’t like anything else, because nothing else looks as good or performs as well (except natural sunlight , which this system receives several hours of per day so all good there). I was in the hobby far before LEDs existed at the consumer level, so I started with VHO’s and Halides. However, for this system, light spill is a concern, because it’s in the living room near the sofa, so halides are difficult. I do agree that the Uno is definitely superior to a Kessil, if the software ever gets vastly improved.

Last edited:
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

Biologic

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Unfortunately, it didn’t solve my problems.

The Good
- Good spectrum blending, equal to that of my GrassyCore, which means it’s better at blending than any other LED on the market excepting those under a single lens
- 90 degree angle is perfect, and minimal light spill
- High power
- Compact size, good for hanging (mounting kit is too industrial for my taste)
- An incredible value at the price, if that’s your thing (it’s not for me, I don’t care how much things cost)

The Bad
- Far too blue for me and what what I keep (clams and anemones). Looking at the spectrum I expected it would appear whiter, similar to a GrassyCore Reef LED from VolxJapan. Unfortunately, it appears much closer to a Red Sea ReefLED, which was exactly what I was trying to get away from. Color rendition wasn’t as bad as the ReefLED (everything is either blue or gray under that light) but definitely not as good as the GrassyCore. Even more important, clams and anemones just don’t do as well under all blue as they do under a broader spectrum, so it had to go

- The web-based configuration software is truly awful and full of bugs. It could be incompatibility on Safari, but I‘m not downloading another browser just to attempt to solve someone else’s terrible software. If you own an iPhone, don’t own a Reefi Uno as it stands now. I had to use my iPad in an attempt to make it work at all. It’s shockingly bad for 2021

Summary

After about 45 minutes, I took it down. I prefer the GrassyCore light, although I will also see if I can get a Giesemann Infiniti to work without too much light spill (I always prefer halide if possible). I’ll add it to my big stash of lights I’ve bought to test and will probably never use again, haha. If you like the mainstream LEDs on the market, you’ll probably like the Uno more. However, I don’t, so I don’t.

Spectrum (GrassyCore vs Uno)

FDCC80FF-09CE-41A8-8828-5A277EDBFEB3.jpeg

071C2393-CB76-4FB2-B693-6B3C2B975C43.jpeg

(This isn’t apples to apples, because the GrassyCore is showing a percentage scale, while the Uno spectrum profile isn’t)

Final thoughts

Reefi and this product have a ton of potential. It seems very well built, and with a few tweaks, would be my perfect LED light. If I could get the Uno with a few more cool white and warm white diodes, white aluminum housing and cables along with modern software, I’d pay double without hesitation. @danlu_gt, send a message if you 1) make this or 2) want to discuss product iteration/marketing (my strength is direct to consumer product marketing). ;)

@Kodski, nothing looks like a halide except a halide. Typically, if you’re a halide user, you don’t like anything else, because nothing else looks as good or performs as well (except natural sunlight , which this system receives several hours of per day so all good there). I was in the hobby far before LEDs existed at the consumer level, so I started with VHO’s and Halides. However, for this system, light spill is a concern, because it’s in the living room near the sofa, so halides are difficult. I do agree that the Uno is definitely superior to a Kessil, if the software ever gets vastly improved.

I just got the Reefi Uno two weeks ago.

I have a leaning to like a whiter light myself. I like the color of a Phillips Coral Care 2 or a Neptune Sky. OR way back when --10,000 K CoralVue Single Ended 400 Watt MH with luminarc's.

Too blue? Did you adjust the sliders channel to make a custom spectrum? Why not max out all the spectrum channels?

While I found the pre-set Photo-SPS to lean too blue, I added more Lime channel which has considerable amount of green yellow/orange spectrum, then added more cool white channel, and I got a 14,000 K look. Now I am sure if I added more cool white, I can get that down to a 12,000 K look. Adding more warm white will push more yellow into the spectrum, which starts washing out colors. It definitely for me get too yellow at that point for most applications.

I agree the interface could use a bit of work, but I use this exclusively on my iPhone's Safari browser and I have no trouble at all. Its HTML 5 based, which can be customized pretty much into anything, rapidly. Not that most people would do this --- it's open source and you can load in your own GUI, which gives a lot of potential.

An engineer designed this system, so it's not going to have the frills of say like an Radion XR15 G5, which is made for the masses. The $100 more might be worth it for some if you want to have some additional GUI features and a native app.

Have you ever torn down a tank over an issue you couldn't seem to beat?

• Yes! I have. (Tell us about what issue you faced in the thread.)

Votes: 184 24.6%
  • No. Thankfully, I haven't.

Votes: 387 51.7%
  • Nope, but it almost happened. (Share your experience in the thread.)

Votes: 55 7.4%
  • Not yet, but I'm almost there. (Tell us what you're dealing with.)

Votes: 61 8.2%
  • If you reef long enough, this will eventually happen to you.

Votes: 47 6.3%
  • Other

Votes: 14 1.9%
Copepods