OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never really noticed anything like that. I think I’m using the Imagitarium floss from Petco at the moment and I’ve also used generic stuff that’s marketed for use in stuffing pillows from the craft store with no issues.
How are you using it? Multiple layers? Using the blue on one side white on the other filter floss? White side up or down? Seemed like with white side down I got way more in the tank and then after a large water change last night to get rid of extra nitrites I noticed more floss inside the tank. Just hanging off the rock work. Not a lot but enough to annoy me. So hard to get out of the tank too. Using a net

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I use this one. Double stacked in the IM caddy with the denser sided facing away from flow.

Aquarium Filter Pad - Premium True Dual Density Aquarium Filter Media Roll for Crystal Clear Water

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I actually had this product on my wish list so it’s good to know I had the right idea. I wasn’t double layering so maybe that’s the issue I’m having. I’ve picked most of it out but it sticks to the rocks like glue

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you using it? Multiple layers? Using the blue on one side white on the other filter floss? White side up or down? Seemed like with white side down I got way more in the tank and then after a large water change last night to get rid of extra nitrites I noticed more floss inside the tank. Just hanging off the rock work. Not a lot but enough to annoy me. So hard to get out of the tank too. Using a net
I think we are talking about different things. When I think of filter floss I’m talking about something like this which I literally just tear off a handful and stick it in a floss holder above a bag of chemipure elite. It’s the same stuff you can get at the craft store for dirt cheap to stuff pillows.
E1A0192B-8DAE-40BE-A6BD-E11C081BC3E0.jpeg
If I’m not using that then I’m using this stuff cut into rectangles to fit in the floss holder. Blue side up. Just ordered this big roll a couple of days ago, I’ve been using the smaller ones that cost way too much compared to this one.
C6FE231E-1E2C-4567-AB61-34549CFF4A59.png
I’ve even used pieces cut off of a roll of refills for Klir filter rollers and put them on top of whatever I have in the floss holders. I like that stuff because it’s so thin so it works well on top of other media.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we are talking about different things. When I think of filter floss I’m talking about something like this which I literally just tear off a handful and stick it in a floss holder above a bag of chemipure elite. It’s the same stuff you can get at the craft store for dirt cheap to stuff pillows.
If I’m not using that then I’m using this stuff cut into rectangles to fit in the floss holder. Blue side up. Just ordered this big roll a couple of days ago, I’ve been using the smaller ones that cost way too much compared to this one.
I’ve even used pieces cut off of a roll of refills for Klir filter rollers and put them on top of whatever I have in the floss holders. I like that stuff because it’s so thin so it works well on top of other media.
I’m using the blue and white one you posted from Marineland. I put the white side down at first and possibly that’s what caused the problem. I’ve picked out a lot of pieces and will monitor if anything changes. I’ve also turned my return pump down just in case and cleaned the return pump cover. So far no more build up

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the blue and white one you posted from Marineland. I put the white side down at first and possibly that’s what caused the problem. I’ve picked out a lot of pieces and will monitor if anything changes. I’ve also turned my return pump down just in case and cleaned the return pump cover. So far no more build up
That stuff really shouldn’t be falling apart.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using the blue and white one you posted from Marineland. I put the white side down at first and possibly that’s what caused the problem. I’ve picked out a lot of pieces and will monitor if anything changes. I’ve also turned my return pump down just in case and cleaned the return pump cover. So far no more build up but it seems to happen slowly

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stuff really shouldn’t be falling apart.
That’s what I thought too. I’m not sure what I am doing wrong or maybe got a bad batch or Marineland sucks. Not sure which one. It’s not a huge amount but it’s noticeable on my rock work.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I thought too. I’m not sure what I am doing wrong or maybe got a bad batch or Marineland sucks. Not sure which one. It’s not a huge amount but it’s noticeable on my rock work.
White side is supposed to be down so you’re using it correctly. Maybe is is just a bad batch, who knows.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s cheap enough, just toss it and get a different kind.
I went ahead and took it out of my InTank filter floss basket on the right side. Using the filter balls that came in the innovative marine filter basket on the left side to help filter some of it out but there’s some small pieces in the water column I can see. I don’t have fish now as I’m still cycling but will this be a issue for fish in the future? I’m sure I can get it all out by then. Also I have my Helio 100 watt heater under the filter floss basket. There’s no way that could be causing this problem right?

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and took it out of my InTank filter floss basket on the right side. Using the filter balls that came in the innovative marine filter basket on the left side to help filter some of it out but there’s some small pieces in the water column I can see. I don’t have fish now as I’m still cycling but will this be a issue for fish in the future? I’m sure I can get it all out by then. Also I have my Helio 100 watt heater under the filter floss basket. There’s no way that could be causing this problem right?
You should remove the pieces as you find them but it probably isn't anything to be too concerned about. I can’t think of any reason why the heater would be causing that issue unless you cut the filter pad to run the power cord. If you did maybe that made the pad fray?

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should remove the pieces as you find them but it probably isn't anything to be too concerned about. I can’t think of any reason why the heater would be causing that issue unless you cut the filter pad to run the power cord. If you did maybe that made the pad fray?
No the heater cord is running on the front side outside of the basket. Not in the basket or touching the floss at all. Completely outside of the basket itself with no modifications to the basket itself. Do I need to cut the floss to a exact size? I’ve cut it slightly bigger than tucked it into the basket. I mean is it so fragile if it’s not cut to the exact size it’ll fray?

2A14C9B9-0427-42CA-A5D9-7509AABB0CE5.jpeg

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also using a good pair of sharp scissors soaked in white vinegar overnight to be safe

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the heater cord is running on the front side outside of the basket. Not in the basket or touching the floss at all. Completely outside of the basket itself with no modifications to the basket itself. Do I need to cut the floss to a exact size? I’ve cut it slightly bigger than tucked it into the basket. I mean is it so fragile if it’s not cut to the exact size it’ll fray?

2A14C9B9-0427-42CA-A5D9-7509AABB0CE5.jpeg
You might consider putting that power cord between the floss holder and the back wall. The floss holder should be pushed forward so the water has to pass through the floss. You don’t want that gap in the front where water can get through without going through the pad.
I‘m not familiar with the brand of pad you’re using but bonded blue pad generally doesn’t fray, at least in my experience. I’ve never had that issue.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might consider putting that power cord between the floss holder and the back wall. The floss holder should be pushed forward so the water has to pass through the floss. You don’t want that gap in the front where water can get through without going through the pad.
I‘m not familiar with the brand of pad you’re using but bonded blue pad generally doesn’t fray, at least in my experience. I’ve never had that issue.
There is a lip coming off the overflow so the water dumps right into the basket in this configuration. Yeah I have no idea at all why this is happening. I’ve used filter floss in a lot of freshwater tanks and never ever had this issue.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See with it pushed up against the back wall there is no gap in the back wall and the lip dumps it right into the basket perfectly

Attachments

• F8F9B0CC-7644-41DA-BA05-A421612D9C5C.jpeg
    F8F9B0CC-7644-41DA-BA05-A421612D9C5C.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 38

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See with it pushed up against the back wall there is no gap in the back wall and the lip dumps it right into the basket perfectly
I have an IM uv in that chamber and if it’s not pushed all the way forward the water can bypass. Your floss holder must take up more room.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just use a sponge instead? I mean is it that much worse than floss if I keep up on maintenance of it? Least it won’t fray. I don’t want to buy more and it happen again and yeah it’s a InTank filter floss holder and there products are known to fit snuggly.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back