OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s spider algae after looking and researching it more. It’s way too long and stringy to be floss. Not only that if floss came apart in someone’s tank like there would be at least one post about it somewhere. It only appeared like 5 days ago, rocks were clean before that. Rocks are Caribsea south seas base rock.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
InTank media basket came in today. Fits like a glove. The stock IM basket fits like trash compared to it. Running floss on top, carbon second shelf and matrix in a bag on the bottom shelf. Probably will get some Chemipure blue to run in the middle shelf tomorrow at my LFS

AE584572-FB04-414F-9CD5-B387531E1657.jpeg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s spider algae after looking and researching it more. It’s way too long and stringy to be floss. Not only that if floss came apart in someone’s tank like there would be at least one post about it somewhere. It only appeared like 5 days ago, rocks were clean before that. Rocks are Caribsea south seas base rock.
Yeah, that’s definitely not floss. We should’ve asked you to post a picture earlier. Never heard of spider algae but I’m sure it’s just part of the start to the uglies.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that’s definitely not floss. We should’ve asked you to post a picture earlier. Never heard of spider algae but I’m sure it’s just part of the start to the uglies.
Yeah lol I put the floss in right around when it happened and sent me down a rabbit hole. I had my brother who don’t even have fish suggest it’s algae and after some googling found a picture that looks just like it and finally let me chill out.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered another Nero 3 powerhead. Seen Waterbox Aquariums have them back in stock. Placing this one on the right back side of the tank for better flow. So excited this tank is really coming along :cool:

also added 3 red leg hermits Sunday. They been pretty active picking up the pieces of food the clownfish and my net missed. My LFS feeds Sustainable Aquatics pellets and my clowns love them so I got a bottle and I love watching them eat. Doing once daily feedings.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use intank filter floss in my intank media basket. But I’ve never used double. Haven’t needed to but the white side goes up. Look on intank website. So it catches even the fine pieces of debris.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use intank filter floss in my intank media basket. But I’ve never used double. Haven’t needed to but the white side goes up. Look on intank website. So it catches even the fine pieces of debris.
I have it doubled layered in my intank filter floss basket and InTank media basket but will change it out to single layer now I’ve realized I was stupidly thinking it was filter floss in my tank. I’ve now realized it’s just proteins leaching from the rock.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quick question about a purchase of some new additions to my tank. My LFS has just gotten in a tiger pistol shrimp and a yellow watchman goby. I have 2x frostbite clowns, 1x skunk cleaner shrimp, 6x red leg hermits and want to add this pair but I’m reading online the pistol shrimp might harass my tank inhabitants. I really hope not because I really want this pair for my tank. I would feed them sinking shrimp pellets to make sure no one goes too hungry but I don’t want him killing my other tank mates

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quick question about a purchase of some new additions to my tank. My LFS has just gotten in a tiger pistol shrimp and a yellow watchman goby. I have 2x frostbite clowns, 1x skunk cleaner shrimp, 6x red leg hermits and want to add this pair but I’m reading online the pistol shrimp might harass my tank inhabitants. I really hope not because I really want this pair for my tank. I would feed them sinking shrimp pellets to make sure no one goes too hungry but I don’t want him killing my other tank mates
My pistol shrimp never bothered other things. But maybe people are talking about them trying to grab hermits because they want the shells for their burrow. Give them some small rubble/coral or snail shells to move around. You will love have the pair.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pistol shrimp never bothered other things. But maybe people are talking about them trying to grab hermits because they want the shells for their burrow. Give them some small rubble/coral or snail shells to move around. You will love have the pair.
What kind of pistol shrimp do you have? I have a 25 gallon lagoon. Is it gonna get too big for the lagoon being it’s a tiger pistol? I haven’t been able to find a candy cane pistol around me. This is the first pistol shrimp I’ve found local.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of pistol shrimp do you have? I have a 25 gallon lagoon. Is it gonna get too big for the lagoon being it’s a tiger pistol? I haven’t been able to find a candy cane pistol around me. This is the first pistol shrimp I’ve found local.
No you’ll be fine. I had them in my IM 30L. I have cane canes now but that is because I have Yasha gobies that only pair with that kind. The yellow watchman and tiger pistol were some of my first inhabitant.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you’ll be fine. I had them in my IM 30L. I have cane canes now but that is because I have Yasha gobies that only pair with that kind. The yellow watchman and tiger pistol were some of my first inhabitant.
Thanks so much! I was really hoping I’d have no issues with my stocking so I could get one. The videos I’ve seen of them digging online are extremely cool to watch.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
420569C1-66E0-4992-B8A3-25F630F9F9BC.jpeg

Just got my first coral frag. LFS had them listed as “wild” Zoas. Using the Karen Vasquez signature series AI preset. I’m a little confused by “acclimation”. In my LFS they are using Kessil AP9x lights about 16” from the top of there frag tanks. I have acclimation mode on at 75% intensity and have turned off the night lighting modes on the preset and reduced the Red and green channels in the preset from 15% down to 5% as I’ve read most corals don’t like this lighting and it creates algae growth. Since the LFS is using pretty powerful lighting should I be using acclimation mode? I don’t want to kill my first coral investment but lighting is confusing af. I have one AI prime 16HD about 8” from the top of my tank. My LFS just suggested watching them and you should be able to tell when they are getting too much light they will shrink or too little and they will stretch out. I don’t have a PAR meter.

OP
OP
reefstarterpack

reefstarterpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Prime 16 HD Reef Aquarium LED Shade and Diffuser by 3DReefing

Anyone have one of these on their prime HD? How do you like it?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back