OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask, what are your thoughts on Formalin? Do you carry the same NO, a great BIG NO, or a somewhat preferably No?
I ask this because what I believe to see in the multitude of fish meds nowadays, is everyone trying to create a "non-toxic" medication using herbs, antibiotics, whatever. Formalin seems to me to be "old school" and fortunately something the parasites rarely encounter in the wild and therefore have not established any resistance to.

I can really only claim enough experiences with lions, to give a strong NO on formalin for lions. I've never found the need to use formalin, as you said, it is more of an old school medication. Even back in the day it was a rarely used and considered very toxic, I believed it was used frequently for brook when it was a newly discovered disease. Seachem paraquard is touted as a formalin alternative but has been proved as deadly to lions as any of the antibiotics or copper.

I always thought .5 was the therapeutic dose for cupramine, that is what I would use if needed(not on lions), but I remember now that .3 is considered a therapeutic dose, but it is risky at the low end. You do agree that lfs' running sub therapeutic doses is a problem, don't you?

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... You do agree that lfs' running sub therapeutic doses is a problem, don't you?
I agree that I don't KNOW much at all about meds, but I am starting to formulate some assumptions. The biggest being that nearly all, if not all aquatic meds are like a medically induced coma for humans... controlled death that hopefully kills the ailment just before killing the host.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back