Just skimmer

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious who doesn t use any chemical media and just skims w water changes. I am questioning constant use of high cost of chemipure ,purigen etc constantly. Supposedly skimmers and media remove different things but honestly after being in this hobby for 20 plus years I am starting to question that . what are ur Thoughts?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need to use what your tank calls for.....those chemicals remove unwanted nutrients (among other things). If skimming with water changes alone keeps everything in balance, then that is all that is needed. I currently am only running a skimmer with auto water changes but have GFO on standby if it is ever needed.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it entirely depends on what you have in the tank and how large it is.
A small tank with no fish can get by fine with just a skimmer and water changes.
t5-M.jpg

a 20l with a 10 gallon tank for a sump with nothing more than a heater and skimmer in it.

With a large system it is easier to remediate the water that is in the system rather than constantly change it.
2021121711192414-5024779333605293673-IMG_4184-M.jpg

A 240 on 75 on a common sump system with multiple skimmers, reactors and dosing. I have an AWC that changes 4 gallons a day. The trick is to keep everything in balance.

OP
OP
J

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but over the years I really just felt skimming w occasioanl water changes were sufficient in my 125 gallon reef tank. I really saw no measureable difference in my tank with using chemipure or polyfilters. Feel now they are best used as needed if algae becomes an issue. personally from here on out might add second skimmer for added aeration and forgo chemical media totally

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back