Just started my first BUDGET tank

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I've been reading and watching videos for years before starting my own, I've had freshwater for 5 years, but i know you can't compare
Yes, and amen!

Budget is a good objective and your rubble coral & live rock look beautiful together!

What corals and fish, or critters do you want to keep in this tank? Going slowly and carefully will save money if you know what your goal is. It is easy to impulse buy (and then have to replace or rehome) stuff in this hobby. Knowing where you want to get too will help shape an acquisition plan for equipment and critters to avoid unnecessary or impulse failures!

Ask me how I know? :) I recently purchased a one-eyed lemon peal angelfish because the fish was so beautiful (other than missing an eye) and I got so focused and distracted thinking about "saving" the injured fish that I didn't remember that I really don't want to deal with possible coral nipper fish in my newest tank. I had to rehome the fish when it started eating around a torch coral head. If I had not been sympathetic and impulsive I wouldn't have brought it home.

Anyway, the moral to the story is Reef Tanks are beautiful. Yours looks fantastic! Welcome to Reef2Reef.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and Happy Birthday!!! You have done great so far, take it slow, enjoy the journey.
Happy Birthday Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

OP
OP
Klowborg

Klowborg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and amen!

Budget is a good objective and your rubble coral & live rock look beautiful together!

What corals and fish, or critters do you want to keep in this tank? Going slowly and carefully will save money if you know what your goal is. It is easy to impulse buy (and then have to replace or rehome) stuff in this hobby. Knowing where you want to get too will help shape an acquisition plan for equipment and critters to avoid unnecessary or impulse failures!

Ask me how I know? :) I recently purchased a one-eyed lemon peal angelfish because the fish was so beautiful (other than missing an eye) and I got so focused and distracted thinking about "saving" the injured fish that I didn't remember that I really don't want to deal with possible coral nipper fish in my newest tank. I had to rehome the fish when it started eating around a torch coral head. If I had not been sympathetic and impulsive I wouldn't have brought it home.

Anyway, the moral to the story is Reef Tanks are beautiful. Yours looks fantastic! Welcome to Reef2Reef.
Thanks!

Well, first off I'm only gonna get a couple of clownfish, and maybe a bubbletip anemone.
Some shrimp and snails maybe.
Later som soft corals.

I don't have a grand plan, I'll just take my time and save up to buy some utility fish before getting some I fall in love with

OP
OP
Klowborg

Klowborg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Your tank looks great! Are the rocks glued to each other? When they are on top of each other, they are easy to knock over. I have done it. I'm glad I didn't break my tank.
Thank you!!
Yes they are epoxy'ed together, very strongly might I add

Kai K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, I really like diy projects. I've been saving myself lots of money with small diy parts like overflow protection, panels and woodwork on the tank, you name it. It's fun and rewarding as well, even though sometimes you have to learn the hard way that your creation didn't work as good as planned and improve it.

Your setup looks great and has potential. Do make sure to get your testsets and start with just the nutrients and maybe alkalinity. That way you can ride out the NO2 and NO3 spikes and kind of know what's happening.

What animals are you planning to keep?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back