Just started my new nano reef

NickosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and I just wanted to say hi! I have recently started a 20 gallon nano reef. This is my first attempt into reefing. I recently tore down my 55 gallon FOWLR tank that was still located at my parents. I found the two clowns and lemonpeel angel a nice home in a friends 400 gallon reef. The heartbreak of giving those fish up led me to build this 20 gallon for my apartment. I did a fishless cycle, dosing ammonia. My ammonia and nitrites reduce back to 0 within 12 hours, and my nitrates are down to 5ppm from between 20-40 after 2 large water changes last week. I have just added an onyx clown and a picasso last night, Scully and Mulder! They appear to be happy and healthy!!! This morning I did however notice what I believe to be a huge diatom bloom. From what I understand this is a natural part of the end of the cycle. Im only concerned because mine seems to be more of a mustard yellow color rather than the brown I have seen in pictures. It blows of the sand and LR easily with a turkey baster. To add just a little more background, the tank has roughly 25 lbs of live rock and 10 lbs of live sand. Most of the rock came from my 55 gallon, however I did kill it because it was covered in green hair algae. I soaked it in bleach for a week, then vinegar for a week. I then rinsed it thoroughly and let it dry. Then I soaked it in RODI for 2 weeks changing the water every 3-4 days. Finally I soaked it in warm saltwater for another 2 weeks before setting it up in the 20 gallon. All of this was in a 10 gallon brute with a powerhead on. I built the stand myself with a hood because my cat is more than a little curious, and LOVES water. I set the tank up 26 days ago with RODI and Reef Crystals. Im running a 100 watt heater, a Hydor 560 gph powerhead and a Marina S20 HOB filter with carbon in a bag, bio balls, and the provided carbon cartridges. I plan to try to grow some cheato in one of the chambers as well. I plan on completing weekly 5 gallon waterchanges on Sundays untill my lease is up in May. When I get a new apartment the plan is to drill this tank and run a skimmer and fuge in a diy 10 gallon sump I built years ago for the 55 gal. The lights are a black box LED setup from Amazon, with the plan to ask for an AI prime for my birthday from the fiance. I plan to start with softies and zoas primarily. Please give me a shoutout if you have any tips or advice. Glad to be part of this community. Thanks all!

Nicko

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back