Just two tangs? Yellow and powder brown

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never tried having more than one tang in a tank but have one big enough now to try. I have seen people have success with multiple tangs in large setups by heavy feeding, lots of hiding spots, and having tangs of different shapes and colors. Though I’ve not seen this mentioned, I have noticed there’s usually multiple tangs and not just two as I have. I have a yellow tang and a powder brown tang and both are almost the same size at about 3" in a 3'6 x 5' 300 gallon setup. Both are fat and healthy voracious eaters with the PBT bold enough to be hand fed almost from the day it arrived, so they are pretty evenly matched.
The PBT went in first, about a week earlier than the YT, because I knew the yellow could be a little testy sometimes with the 4” maroon clown that’s in the other tank that it came from. It’s never done any serious damage to the clown but has backed up and made threats almost daily. I had intended on separating the two tangs for several days with an egg crate divider, but the first night the YT was in the tank it found its way under the divider to the other side. When I woke up the two of them were swimming together and seemingly comfortable with one another. I left them out together all day yesterday and saw the YT a couple times back up and a little tail swatting between the two especially as the lights went dim and they prepared to find a spot to rest for the night. Neither chases or dominates the other, and I’ve not seen the scalpels come out but not positive. Neither seems afraid of the other and sometimes they swim very close together making the exact same turns in unison and parallel to each other like some sort of water ballet. Sometimes either one will go over to the other. I’m not sure if this is just fish swimming together or if they are sizing each other up? There have been no real nasty encounters, so I’m wondering if a little bickering is normal and will be ok? The last thing I want is for the PBT to get stressed and would rather separate permanently or sell the YT, so I’m not sure if they are swimming together because its fun for them or if its part of a constant showing that neither are afraid of each other. There's only a very small maroon in with them which they hardly notice. Wondering if adding a dwarf angel or some other fish about the same size would help to distract from each other. I don't really want any more tangs, except maybe a hippo at some point in the future or a tomingi.

Just looking to hear from other tang owners, if I'm heading for trouble, or if this is just what tangs do when they are together.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they're sizing up the opposition but you likely are home free. I would expect the Powder Brown to be the problem if one occurs.

I have the same situation (Gold Rim and yellow) in a smaller tank (72x24) without any problems.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different tangs, tomini & convict, but they get along fine in my 120.
The Tomini does not like the algae blenny and chases it but no issues so far.
8 other fish in my tank and the tangs dont bother each other.
The Tomini swims close to the clown I think trying to intiminate it but the clown does not go far from the frogspawn corner.
How many fish in that tank?
More may take the pressure off of the two tangs imo.
20200412_155214.jpg

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say that you can try having different tang families in the tank with some success and put them in by least aggressive to most aggressive. I have three, but I have two of which are in the same zebrasoma family (a yellow and purple). If I had my way I'd have twenty tangs in the tank. They are my favorites.

OP
OP
J

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they're sizing up the opposition but you likely are home free. I would expect the Powder Brown to be the problem if one occurs.

I have the same situation (Gold Rim and yellow) in a smaller tank (72x24) without any problems.

Different tangs, tomini & convict, but they get along fine in my 120.
The Tomini does not like the algae blenny and chases it but no issues so far.
8 other fish in my tank and the tangs dont bother each other.
The Tomini swims close to the clown I think trying to intiminate it but the clown does not go far from the frogspawn corner.
How many fish in that tank?
More may take the pressure off of the two tangs imo.
20200412_155214.jpg
Right now just the two tangs plus an inch maroon. Working on getting my big royal gramma in, if I can catch it. Seems like they have calmed down and unless something changes are getting along well enough.

OP
OP
J

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the PBT's skin looking splotchy right after introducing the yellow. Definitely not an external parasite but skin color change. Wondering if there might have been some scratches when they first met since the YT snuck past my partition and I didn't see their initial meeting? Can't find anything online like this.

BF10B881-4CC6-435C-8CB1-FD9D846F1EF4.jpeg 1C50AC99-1839-4D38-912C-AA00BE6C0763.jpeg

Last edited:

maharsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Naso tang, Black tang, and Purple tang in 6ft x 30" tank. The Black LOVES to bully the Purple, but the Purple holds his own.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a yellow and a powder blue. The yellow used to be the tank boss. That didn't last long once the blue was added

OP
OP
J

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a yellow and a powder blue. The yellow used to be the tank boss. That didn't last long once the blue was added
I don't think powder browns are as aggressive as blues from what I've read. The yellow is the boss right now.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't think they are, that's just my experience with 2 tangs

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back