Just when everything was going up..STN...

Scorchx1245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So awhile ago I had issues with keeping SPS. I figured it out and frags/colonies recovered. Well....that was 8 months ago. 2 weeks ago it went downhill...My monti caps losing color and dulling out, acro is STNing again, my purple poci is losing tissue slowly... my stylo which was recover recovery myhrvold skeleton is receding and hydnophora is receding slowly as well. I also have alot more asterinas then I did 8 months ago. There always on the SPS frags and colonies aswell.

I'm sending an ICP test out tomorrow.

My LPS and RBTA look great. Trachy, Lobo, acans, chalice, etc.

40 breeder 10 sump, t5 hybrid 3 blue+ and 1 actinic with 1 xr15 gen 3 pro. 350 par area.
10 nitrates salifert
0 - 0.01 p04 red sea
Alk 7.7-7.9 salifert
Calc 420 salifert
Mag 1290 salifert
I run a 4 stage rodi, and dose nopox only 1 ml maintenance dose.

I'll attach a picture of the worse one. It started with loss of polyp extension then tissue lost. Snd always has 3 asterinas on it at night.

20191119_212335.jpg

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Asterina starfish eat algae on your death Coral. I don't know how did u start your tank but let me guess with dry rock and you don't dose any bacteria source beside the cycling process. If it is then you are lacking of other beneficial bacteria Sps need multiple strand of bacteria to be healthy. If u start with all dry rock then u only have nitrosoma and nitrobacter to convert amonia n nitrite. Years ago we have live rock from the ocean which carry multistrand of bacteria then they multiply in our reef tank.
Lately there were a lot of tanks like yours with good parameters but can't keep Sps the common denominator is starting with dry rock and don't dose additional bacteria source. This is just my observation so I'm not telling you this is why just suggestion.

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your phosphates are to low I would stop dosing NOPOX and over feed your tank until the Phosphates get higher. A problem I used to have living in Pittsburgh during fall and spring would be temperature swings with my tanks. Fish tanks are in the basement it gets colder, but not cold enough for the home furnace to kick on so the tanks would drop temp to fast. Temp swings is something that u can look at.

OP
OP
Scorchx1245

Scorchx1245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank runs around 77-78, but wont over feeding cause nitrates to rise aswell causing more issues? I thought about backing the maint dose down to .5mls a day.

OP
OP
Scorchx1245

Scorchx1245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed your lost I started with wet live rock from my previous system and dry rock. I used dr Tim's to help cycle aswell. Anything else I can do? Tank is 1.2 years old.

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So 50% of the rock is 3 years old.
Most of the manefacture has their own bacteria source such as aquaforest, redsea , brightwell, zeovit etc...just pick the one that your are comfortable with and dose it. My tank is only 2.5 years but the growth is like a 5 years old tank. I dose zeobak n zeostart3 from zeovit. Its a multi strand bacteria help to reduce phosphate and nitrate also the Coral feed on them.

wareagle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank runs around 77-78, but wont over feeding cause nitrates to rise aswell causing more issues? I thought about backing the maint dose down to .5mls a day.
Tropic Marin sells carbon dosing products called NP Bacto balance and plus NP, they both add a little P so you don't end up with low P.

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the manefacture has their own bacteria source such as aquaforest, redsea , brightwell, zeovit etc...just pick the one that your are comfortable with and dose it. My tank is only 2.5 years but the growth is like a 5 years old tank. I dose zeobak n zeostart3 from zeovit. Its a multi strand bacteria help to reduce phosphate and nitrate also the Coral feed on them.

Do you run the full zeovit method or just dose these 2 things from them?

Thanks.

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you run the full zeovit method or just dose these 2 things from them?

Thanks.
I run full for the last 1.5 years but the first year I only dose this 2 items
If u want to know more about zeovit I post a thread here

OP
OP
Scorchx1245

Scorchx1245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my icp test m. I saw salinity was low,but tin is high and aluminum is kinda high. I found in my mixing tub my motor for mixing water was rusting on the impeller. All other pumps look good. Salinity was a tad bit low, but I'm wet skimming now. Coukd this be my SPS STN problem?

Attachments

• Analyse60285.pdf
    130.3 KB · Views: 96

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back