Justin's lagoon 25 build

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the filter socks that im makes for these tanks but don't know how well they would clean out. I used to run filter socks but between the cost of laundering them and the hassle, filter floss has been my go to

OP
OP
Justin Simmons

Justin Simmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the filter socks that im makes for these tanks but don't know how well they would clean out. I used to run filter socks but between the cost of laundering them and the hassle, filter floss has been my go to
Yeah they are a pain. I soak them in a container with vinegar and water for a night, and rinse them out with a hose afterwards, and then let them air dry.
I'll keep them around for emergencies and when I pull the basket/ filter floss holder to clean them. Other than that they stay put away.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick with the inTank baskets... I have an IM 14g peninsula that came with the filter sock and its a pain in the... it's aggravating to clean. I bought the inTank media basket and would never go back to a sock.

OP
OP
Justin Simmons

Justin Simmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick with the inTank baskets... I have an IM 14g peninsula that came with the filter sock and its a pain in the... it's aggravating to clean. I bought the inTank media basket and would never go back to a sock.
That was exactly the reason I went with the media basket. I hated filter socks with my old system.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea you did good with the baskets. I like the IM tanks. I think once I get to the point I want to upgrade my nano, I'm going to get a lagoon. Not sure what size tho, maybe 50...

I'm looking forward to seeing your tank progress. Looks good so far.

OP
OP
Justin Simmons

Justin Simmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1649.JPG Full tank shot
IMG_1641.JPG
My first inhabitants
IMG_1642.JPG

Current parameters:
Ammonia. 0
Nitrites. 0
Nitrates. <10
Ph. 8.3
Dkh. 8.6
Salinity. 1.026

It's been awhile since I've updated. Been a rough couple weeks. I was getting weird readings with my test kits, and thought I was going through another cycle. On a hunch I took a sample to my LFS to get tested and come to find out my nitrate, and nitrite reagents were bad. Now I've got good reagents and I'm back on track.
After doing a couple large water changes I was ready for some inhabitants. I just picked up a couple blue legged hermits since my tank isn't very dirty, and I'll pick up other CUC as I need them. I ordered a firefish that will be here Thursday. I'll have more pictures then.

OP
OP
Justin Simmons

Justin Simmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First fish is in. This was during acclimation. IMG_1652.JPG

After release IMG_1653.JPG

Ignore the water spots on the tank

It has pretty much stayed in the open all day, which was cool. I figured it would disappear for a few days.

Up next will be a pair of clowns and some frags. More pics and info as it comes

OP
OP
Justin Simmons

Justin Simmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, nice fish, this tank is on my short list.
Thanks. I have been nothing but impressed with it. I've always loved the shallow reef tanks and had to give it a shot.

My future plans include a much larger version of a shallow reef tank.

OP
OP
Justin Simmons

Justin Simmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 days of hiding my firefish is finally starting to hang out in the open. Just a few minutes at a time but it's better than nothing.
I'll try to get a pic on the next couple of days.

jtietz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 3 days of hiding my firefish is finally starting to hang out in the open. Just a few minutes at a time but it's better than nothing.
I'll try to get a pic on the next couple of days.
Fire fish like to jump. I have a 25 nuvo as well and as much as i like the open top its a shallow tank. I pulled the trigger and got a diy screen lid from brs. You dont want your fish carpet surfing. I figured id leave the lid on for the majority of the time. But when people come over or its picture time ill remove the lid. But nice setup we have very similar systems.

OP
OP
Justin Simmons

Justin Simmons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. The screen top was a must have before my firefish.
Here's a picture of my firefish. It comes out every day now. Definitely a change from hiding all day
IMG_1656.JPG

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back