Justin's Waterbox 130.4 Mixed Reef

Forjam64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Picked up some water storage tanks last night (65 gallon) to start building a mixing station this weekend. Thinking about doing auto water change, but may push that off for a few months.
IMG_5537.JPEG
Where did you get these?

BRS
OP
jlauck

jlauck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well, I ran the par meter. I am in kind of amazement over how even the light is in the tank, and in some places, the par value is reading higher deeper than in the shallow areas.

I have the meter the rest of the week. I may adjust where the left return is pointing. The turbulence caused by return may be really diffusing the light.

It's nice to have the numbers, and I'll figure out what percent I'll run at once I start getting some coral in the tank.

Did a 20 gallon water change today.

Starting to get some diatoms. Not particularly surprising with a new tank. It's really getting apparent in the sump where I'm having pretty crazy chaeto growth already. The clean up crew is doing a pretty good job keeping up with that in the tank.

I'm running the prime fuge light at 50% for about 18 hours a day. I'm hoping that chaeto will help knock down the nitrates in time. Today's water change didn't seem to do a whole lot for the nitrates.

Parameters:
Nitrate: 20 PPM
Phosphate: 0.12 PPM
Calcium: 425 PPM
Alkalinity: 8.5 dKH (dosed up after the water change)

PAR_RATINGS.jpg

Chaeto day 8
IMG_6330.jpg

AS
OP
jlauck

jlauck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I lost the solo Anthias in QT last night. It hadn't been eating much and was perpetually hidden behind the intake of my HOB Filter. Everyone else in the tank looks healthy and is still eating well. Didn't see any sign of disease when I pulled it from the tank. Did a precautionary water change out of an abundance of safety.

pandry15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Very nice and well planned build! From what it looks like is the reactor screwed to the cabinet? I have a build happening soon (waterbox also) and was wondering if putting screws in the cabinetry would compromise the integrity...

schmittym7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hey Justin,
Hoping you might be able to offer some guidance. Finally received my 130.4 yesterday. Everything looked great upon initial inspection. When I put the tank onto the stand, I noticed these gaps in the black caulk on the front glass bottom. Did your tank alao have the same by chance? The wrap also ledt some glue stickiness on the glass plus dust impeint of the wrap. Wondering if you cleaned your glass prior and if so, what did you use? Looking for some friendly advice as waterbox doesn't open until Monday and I'm stuck....thanks man!
20210212_203046.jpg

CORAL MANIA Live Event!
OP
jlauck

jlauck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Very nice and well planned build! From what it looks like is the reactor screwed to the cabinet? I have a build happening soon (waterbox also) and was wondering if putting screws in the cabinetry would compromise the integrity...
The reactor is screwed into the cabinet. That section of the cabinet is double thick 3/4" plywood (1 1/2 total). It will not affect it structurally.

OP
jlauck

jlauck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hey Justin,
Hoping you might be able to offer some guidance. Finally received my 130.4 yesterday. Everything looked great upon initial inspection. When I put the tank onto the stand, I noticed these gaps in the black caulk on the front glass bottom. Did your tank alao have the same by chance? The wrap also ledt some glue stickiness on the glass plus dust impeint of the wrap. Wondering if you cleaned your glass prior and if so, what did you use? Looking for some friendly advice as waterbox doesn't open until Monday and I'm stuck....thanks man!
20210212_203046.jpg
I didn't have any of those gaps on the seam. I used tap water to do a leak test, and then just cleaned up the rest with an old bath towel. There was a ton of dust in the tank when I filled it up for my leak test. There was definitely residue from the wrap they used. I just cleaned it up with some RODI Water and paper towels. I didn't have any really heavy residue.

schmittym7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I didn't have any of those gaps on the seam. I used tap water to do a leak test, and then just cleaned up the rest with an old bath towel. There was a ton of dust in the tank when I filled it up for my leak test. There was definitely residue from the wrap they used. I just cleaned it up with some RODI Water and paper towels. I didn't have any really heavy residue.
Thanks for the reply!

Are you currently housing your most favorite fish ever?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 69 36.9%
  • No

Votes: 112 59.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
RED SEA