OP
OP
JAWS 32

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks better than the prior pics. It's definitely a female. I have noticed feeding mine clams on a half shell gas giving it more blue color. My male didn't make it, I was offered a second shot and that too didn't work out. I figured it might have had to do with minimal rock scape so I added rock again. The female seems to really like it even better.
ac48ebf20c3c873751e1705187210574.jpg

The key, so far for me however is make sure they eat well. They have a fast metabolism.
So sorry to hear about your other male:(. I am glad your female is doing well. They do apreciate the rocks. I have alot of rock w/ many caves and crevices that she loves zooming in and out of. I will have to try fresh clams w/ her. I know she enjoys the frozen ones! Post some pics if you get a chance!

OP
OP
JAWS 32

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks better than the prior pics. It's definitely a female. I have noticed feeding mine clams on a half shell gas giving it more blue color. My male didn't make it, I was offered a second shot and that too didn't work out. I figured it might have had to do with minimal rock scape so I added rock again. The female seems to really like it even better.
ac48ebf20c3c873751e1705187210574.jpg

The key, so far for me however is make sure they eat well. They have a fast metabolism.
How long have you had your yellow tang w/ your hippo tang? Do they get along? I was thinking of getting a yellow bellied hippo, but I have a purple tang, who is pretty chill with new additions. Just never added another tang

bellasdad0911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had your yellow tang w/ your hippo tang? Do they get along? I was thinking of getting a yellow bellied hippo, but I have a purple tang, who is pretty chill with new additions. Just never added another tang

I introduced the yellow tang in June which was the size of a half dollar coin. Now he is well over a silver dollar size. The hippo was introduced 2 weeks later as I got saved him from a miserable lfs who had a 3 inch tang in a 5 Gallon cube. He was malnourished and obviously not cared for. So after 1 week of syringe feeding he became the jewel of the tank. They get along great! No aggression at all. The myth is you have to introduce them at the same time. I have never had an issue in the past or with these two.

OP
OP
JAWS 32

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced the yellow tang in June which was the size of a half dollar coin. Now he is well over a silver dollar size. The hippo was introduced 2 weeks later as I got saved him from a miserable lfs who had a 3 inch tang in a 5 Gallon cube. He was malnourished and obviously not cared for. So after 1 week of syringe feeding he became the jewel of the tank. They get along great! No aggression at all. The myth is you have to introduce them at the same time. I have never had an issue in the past or with these two.
Nice they get along! Glad you saved the little guy and he pulled through! I couldn't even imagine syringe feeding a fish! I guess I will not be adding any new tangs. Purpy has been in there about a year and I do not want to risk the harmony of the tank. Good luck in your tank!

bellasdad0911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Honestly if you have the right scape and stick with similar sizes in fish you should be good

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back