Juwel bioflow filter advice

Jonesyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am new to saltwater aquariums and have a Juwel vision 260L which is currently empty except for the standard internal Bioflow L filter and heater. My question is what filter media and sponges would people suggest to use in this? I know a sump is a better option but for now i am staying with the internal filter and adding a skimmer also. The tank will have live rock, some corals and fish. Any advice much appreciated! I have a freshwater 180l tank also so not totally new to aquariums, just the saltwater aspect.

Cheers

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i ran sumpless i used a hang on back canister filter and skimmer. In the filter i ran carbo and cleaned the filter pad often.
#WelcometoR2R !

OP
OP
Jonesyg

Jonesyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply, I have purchased a Tunze protein skimmer and have since removed the internal filter to clean it properly. I am now reading lots of people run with no cannister or internal filter in their tanks. This would be a bonus as I don't have to re fit the filter unit. However is it going to be enough with just a skimmer and no additional chemical filtration? I was thinking of Phorax and carbax with a filter pad only if i used the filter unit.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like having a filter just to remove large debris...that should run fine like that.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! By using plenty of live rock that will help cover your biological filtration so your canister can primarily cover your mechanical filtration. You can occasionally add chemical filtration in the canister or add a separate reactor. Good luck!

OP
OP
Jonesyg

Jonesyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice guys, ill refit the internal filter then, it has the added bonus of the powerhead and heater holder too. I am planning to use live rock and live sand also.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back