OP
J

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOOHOO! Tank is in place but not without issues.

Two movers show up with no tools to move a 400lb tank. No suction cups NONE.

Mover said I didn't need to get involved but good thing I was there to provide a helping hand.

Both ATO and Refugium tanks are not in the stand yet due to cabinet hinges being too big and will be addressed by the cabinet maker.

After going through the glass cages meticulously, I find a hair line crack in the sump most likely due to shipping. Will leave that to the tank builder to resolve. Probably a quick fix with glass silicone.

Next steps are to plumb next week and build up the light fixtures.

Finally, some pics.

1626498334963.png

1626498366888.png

1626498379343.png

1626498491854.png

OP
OP
J

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for the lack of updates.

Tank is cycling on Day 18 and plumbing is almost done pending hookup of the refugium.

Original plan was the tank designer would plumb however plans changed and I had to use some brain cells.

I did ask around for pro help and got quotes for upwards of 1000 USD for labor which blew my mind and was up for a challenge.

End result turned out well IMHO and tip I would give is to mark everything and have a hacksaw handy aside from the PVC cutter. Came in handy cutting 1/8 inch of PVC.

I currently have 4 10,000 Liter ZKSJ pumps ( aka Platinum Blue DC Pumps) running - 2 for over the top returns and 2 for closed loops.

These pumps did not have unions from the factory like the Vectras and had to DIY. Silicone was used on the union threads to eliminate any chance of leaks.

Big value for those willing to DIY. Would not say these pumps are silent when pulsating but noise level is similar to a MP40 pulsating.

Obviously the electrical wiring is not done and that will be a separate project.

In the interim, I will use timers to control the light but am thinking to control the reef with a DIY controller. Do have a 24v DC Meanwell power supply in transit to consolidate the power bricks for the pumps.

Thinking about using multiple ESP8266 controllers to control the lights and pumps. Thinking of leveraging MQTT, InfluxDB, Grafana and maybe Home Assistant. Or just get an Apex and be done. Have not made a decision yet.

Aiming to get some livestock in there by the end of the month.

Some pics:

blue.jpg

Plumb2.jpg

Plumbing.jpg

OP
OP
J

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?
Added some SPS shortly after the cycle in Sept and everything died. Parameters were perfect.

After that I seriously neglected the tank sending nitrates off the charts. Left dead SPS and some dead chromis in the tank.

In Dec, I dosed Biodigest every other day and dosed a boatload of sugar 3 tablespoons of sugar daily. Took nitrates to 0 in a week.

A bit happy to see some new tank nasties like Cyano which is now turning to GHA. NO3 and P04 reading 0.

Dropping nutrients so quickly probably triggered the Cyano but I took the gamble because I did not have corals and didn't want to do water changes.

Currently the tank is a FOWLR with 4 clowns and 2 Angels ( Swallowtail and French Angel ) Angel fish police with be after me but I only took the French Angel because a friend had to take down his FOT ASAP.

Today, I'm feeding about half tsp of fish food daily and tank nutrients are 0. I stopped carbon dosing and refugium is on 24H.

Will dose nitrates today to get rid of the cyano and hopefully try some tester SPS in Feb.

OP
OP
J

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates

Added some frags on April 1 that are in bad shape. Tip burn and color loss. If I can bring these back to life, my tank is ready for the $$$ acros.

Also, I'm only running blue leds. It is currently running at 30pct power with 500 PAR at the surface.

Only 1 clownfish strong which survived an ick outbreak. Am overfeeding the clown to feed tank.

Things noticed while using Marco Dry rock:

1. Alk and Calc - I have no corals and all my levels dropped to very low levels most likely due to precipitation?
2. Stability - Only after the ugly stage and more than 6 months of waiting / neglect did the tank stabilize (Hopefull)
3. Tank was neglected and did a large water change (25 percent )to get levels to a manageable level. Still had to dose a boatload of chemicals to get to 8.9 Alk, 460 Ca and 1440 mag.

IMG_20220404_171550.jpg
IMG_20220405_104437.jpg

OP
OP
J

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got bored of waiting and saw the setosa healing so I purchased some more frags:

Below is a pic of the wild colony of a Indo deep water acro ( I got a 2-3cm cut)

The Pink Floyd acro looks green in the pic but it is yellow in my blue tank.

Currently feeding shrimp and clam diy mush 3-4x with a large pinch of reef roids.

It is raining fish food when I feed and parameters are still 0 and 0 due to the refugium on 24h / day.

53bc90ed-1b13-40ea-9846-4afe1e95a1d4.jpg
c_54eUd018svcqemtgqsy2gsm_j697o4.jpg

OP
OP
J

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby will test your patience to the limits and I think the challenge is what keeps me at it.

Tank turned 1yr in Oct and I'm able to keep LPS and easy SPS alive ( past 2 weeks ). WOOOHOOO

Things I changed which I think made a difference:
- Added rock from established reef tank
- Maintain stable Alk/Calc/Mag
- Maintain Nutrients at 5ppm NO3 and <.20 PO4
- Maintain PH > 8.0

Some Pics

(I know this is supposed to be a SPS tank but needed some Euphyllias to keep me engaged)

Yes I know there is cyano and the pics are crappy. =)

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipObVzE1JyPWzyakaquwfQufYDU11W0Nin8n2Qw9
1667391602825.jpg
1667391602810.jpg
IMG_20221102_201435.jpg

Attachments

• a_1ijUd018svcqr2vcsy9crux_woh07s (1).jpg
    a_1ijUd018svcqr2vcsy9crux_woh07s (1).jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 26

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back