Kalk or all for reef?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why assume others less educated than self? Not everyone needs warnings or welcome them. State your case. Move on. We can learn from each other but best wait on another to ask for help vs assume they need it. Hopefully that is clear and we can have more productive discussions going forward.

I don’t assume. I read the text. Let’s just leave it at that. It was nice to meet you and I hope you enjoy and have good luck with whichever method you choose.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The follow up question is adding separate calcium. Seems like a logical progression. For example, if wanting to avoid sodium based solutions then CarboCalcium could be that supplement. Same formulation in AFR without magnesium or trace. Agreed?

Yeah, he just needs to supplement with a different product.

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The follow up question is adding separate calcium. Seems like a logical progression. For example, if wanting to avoid sodium based solutions then CarboCalcium could be that supplement. Same formulation in AFR without magnesium or trace. Agreed?
The instructions for AFR say to dose TM Balling part B, to correct that situation.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you where going to post them anywhere. For an expert, you sure don't have anything to show for it.

Who said I was an expert? I’ve just been in the game long enough to know the result of putting 10 elements in one bottle.

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point it’s clear what your objective is. Bye now.
My objective is very clear. And, it is to share my experience using a product that I use and have had success with, to a fellow nano reef who asked.

While, your objective is to argue about a produce you obviously haven't used. Tell everyone your process is the best way to do things. Even thou you don't have anything to show for it.

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok back to what I was gonna say. kalk is bad for the pumps right? It would make the pumps break down faster. With A4R, id probably only dose a small amount each day. I already got some sps in the tank since this thread was started and noticed a slight decrease in calcium (10) so ill start dosing as it gets more sps jammed. In the meantime water changes should be sufficient right?

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok back to what I was gonna say. kalk is bad for the pumps right? It would make the pumps break down faster. With A4R, id probably only dose a small amount each day. I already got some sps in the tank since this thread was started and noticed a slight decrease in calcium (10) so ill start dosing as it gets more sps jammed. In the meantime water changes should be sufficient right?
I dose concentrated kalk from a bucket through a dozer so there are no pumps involved. I like dosing kalk and making up the trace elements through the moonshiners method.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anecdotally I have heard AFR may not impact equipment as much, possibly because it has to be metabolized before calcium/alk is generated, whereas other methods may precipitate immediately on warm areas (heaters/pumps) when dosed into the sump where equipment is. Elevated calcium, alkalinity, pH, and for heaters and pumps, temperature, increase calcium carbonate precipitation. Lower levels of magnesium may also cause it to accelerate, so dosing kalk without maintaining magnesium could make it worse.

But I think if any system is dosed in a controlled/metered way, with parameters like magnesium maintained, it is likely is the same, and pumps would still need to be cleaned regularly with any method.

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used a regular pump in a bucket for ATO with kalk it got all chalky looking. I can't imagine it would be good for the motor life.
As @JSmith mentioned dosing through a doser might be a better idea.

If I ever use it again ill try a kalk stirrer... got me thinking about it now

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"...before calcium/alk is generated..."

...because it has to be metabolized before calcium/alk is generated...
How you going to tell me I don't know how AFR works, when you make this claim? You don't know the calcium is available instantly?

AFR contains calcium formate, bacteria only has to convert the formate to carbonate. Which is the reason there is a lag between alkalinity testing and dosing, while calcium shows instantly in testing.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 132 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 107 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back