Kalk or all for reef?

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes aren’t a cure all. It depends on how much is being changed. Not to mention they’re expensive and cause small destabilizing events dependent upon how much is changed. Also, how many times have we all seen a saltmix nuke tanks, because something got into the salt. If I did water changes with the program I’m running, the trace’s will never hit my targets even at 100% volume. That being said water changes can be a good tool for some people, but they aren’t for me.
Are we ever going to see picture or videos of this system?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we ever going to see picture or videos of this system?

Sure, we can compare ICP’s first. Then we can look at some coral shots. I can tell you that even in my young dry rock system with Dino’s for first several months the corals are growing and basing quite well.

D4235A12-DDE3-4F67-B781-1D9E5A23A3E0.jpeg

dmiki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
39gm gives you a salinity of 34 PPT, so that would definitely give you low Alkalinity. And, the instructions for AFR say to correct low Alkalinity with TM balling part B; before dosing AFR. So yeah definitely did it wrong.
pls.do your math next time...and take a look at the screenshots
"To achieve a salinity level of 32–35‰ (psu), dissolve 35 ml (approx. 37–40 g / 1.3–1.4 oz.) of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef for every litre".
"35 ml sea salt corresponds to approx. 38 – 40 g of our sea salt" ( I dissolved 39gm)
"The specific gravity of the sea salt solution should amount to 1.025 to 1.027 at a temperature of 25 °C / 77 °F."
I measured 1025.5 - 1026 every water change. (Pls.do not tell me to calibrate my refractometer. I do that once a month. Every new batch of water was heated to 25 Celsius.)
So while following their instruction to the point, I had 6.4-6.5 dKH.
My only mistake is believing that A4R will raise my Alk.
It did not and that was the reason for my post! Even more important, and somebody has yet to explain why, although using TM Pro and A4R, my Iodine and Molybdenum was zero, (besides low Magnesium and Boron, which was probably coral consumption).
All in all, another of my aquaristic friends is also using TM Pro and A4R and had (again Triton) very low or zero Iodine on his ICP tests. Thank to R.H.Farley and his very informative posts from 2018, I dosed Potassium Iodide (B-Ionic) and my test results are good now. No dosing anymore and using my old salt.
I will definitely stop answering to this discussion now. Losing to much time proving I followed the manufacturers instructions to the letter. I hope my experience will be useful to others and TM will look into the Iodine deficiency issue.
P.S. As for buying another product for Alk (TM balling part 2), buy this buy that. I might as well by stock in Velocity International......NaHCO₃ does the job now....

Attachments

• scr 1.png
    scr 1.png
    356.8 KB · Views: 20
  • scr 2.png
    scr 2.png
    367.8 KB · Views: 28

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbonate and Carbon dosing are two different things, if you don't understand this you are the last person anyone should listen to.

I’ll say this. For those who don’t know the difference, A4R is for YOU. For those who know the difference (and probably love nailing ICP results for 80 different things) A4R is not your best option.

TheyGaveItToMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now you’re trolling my YouTube channel?
LOL. It’s okay, it’s public access, and if I didn’t want people to see I wouldn’t have uploaded it for the general public.+
What happened to the video? Did you make it private? Are you ashamed of your aquarium? You are full of so much advice, why don't you want to show the results?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to the video? Did you make it private? Are you ashamed of your aquarium? You are full of so much advice, why don't you want to show the results?

I’m still waiting on your pics and ICP. Thought we were doing a comparison.?

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
My tank was never better when I was using kalk through my ATO, it's almost like magic for the reef.

But it's so messy. Im using AFR now dosing by the calcium portion and no complaints.
If I were you I'd use both!

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You acted like you had a plan, I asked what the plan was, but there’s really no plan at all. Now you’re upset because AFR isn’t the “magic unicorn” you thought it was. I could care less what elements you use.

That’s the whole point I was making and why I was asking about your plan. You CAN’T just add more A or more K. If you add more “A” because Bromine is depleted, then you also add more fluorine, iodine, lithium, molybdenum, selenium, and vanadium.

If you add more K, because barium is depleted, then you also add more chrome, cobalt, iron, copper, manganese, nickel, strontium and zinc. This is not even considering the ALK, CAL, and MAG you’ll be adding that are also in the bottles.

I guess so, but most reefers I know are very literal, and will do about anything to have a nice tank. Probably why we are both having this conversation on a message board. If you don’t care about it, why are you so upset when I point out the problems with AFR. :)

We definitely have very precise testing now. Better than we’ve had since the hobby started. I’d say being able to detect LLOD’s down to 0.05 ug/L and better is pretty darn good.

Maybe listen to Lou Ekus again and see if you missed something.?

I give up. Enjoy your hobby. I’ll enjoy mine. Been at this since the 80s and knowledge not learned from YouTube or the internet

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give up. Enjoy your hobby. I’ll enjoy mine. Been at this since the 80s and knowledge not learned from YouTube or the internet

Well good for you. I respect that and wish you well. Let me give you a little backdrop to why some of these programs bug me. I’ve tired about every program out there with basically the same results. It’s hard to dial in elements and keep things from becoming depleted or elevated. In certain situations I’ve had stuff check out, and to be honest it’s heartbreaking. That is why I try to warn people about some of these programs because a lot of people do not realize. The way they market some of these products it makes you feel like that you are good to go. A lot of times this leads to issues or RTN.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good for you. I respect that and wish you well. Let me give you a little backdrop to why some of these programs bug me. I’ve tired about every program out there with basically the same results. It’s hard to dial in elements and keep things from becoming depleted or elevated. In certain situations I’ve had stuff check out, and to be honest it’s heartbreaking. That is why I try to warn people about some of these programs because a lot of people do not realize. The way they market some of these products it makes you feel like that you are good to go. A lot of times this leads to issues or RTN.
Why assume others less educated than self? Not everyone needs warnings or welcome them. State your case. Move on. We can learn from each other but best wait on another to ask for help vs assume they need it. Hopefully that is clear and we can have more productive discussions going forward.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a great example.

23C9E7D5-283E-46D2-B45F-4E4CD7021A09.jpeg
The follow up question is adding separate calcium. Seems like a logical progression. For example, if wanting to avoid sodium based solutions then CarboCalcium could be that supplement. Same formulation in AFR without magnesium or trace. Agreed?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 123 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 45 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back