Kalkwasser sediment?

justjes45

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning! So I am new at dosing KalKwasser. I have it in a 5 gallon bucket that my ATO addS to the tank slowly. When I went to refill the water amount in the bucket today there was some sediment on the bottom that was not stirred up, so I’m assuming the dosing is not very accurate? Does anybody else deal with this?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the part of the kalkwasser that cannot dissolve in water. This is called the "saturated" method where the clear water that you add is as full as it can be with calcium and carbonate. The "unsaturated" method is where you add in the white mix... also called a slurry.

The stuff in the bottom can contain metals and other impurities that are good not to add unless you have an export mechanism.

Have you read the Dr. Holmes-Farley articles on using Kalkwasser? They are worth a read.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back