Kalkwasser vs soda

  • Thread starter Thread starter Salty2021
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Salty2021

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 16, 2021
Messages
102
Reaction score
40
Location
Memphis
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I'm currently dosing soda ash at night. I want to start with kalkwassser. I dose 1ml at night four times. I have mostly soft coral. So the demand not bad. I just don't want calcium to skyrocket... Just don't know if if it's a good idea.
 
Calcium won’t skyrocket. Limewater (kalkwasser) adds calcium and alk in Proportions very close to the relative rate that they are consumed.
 
Ok thanks it's semi proportion. I've tried it dripping it. But that's uncontrollable. Gotcha thx
 
Yes, corals use about 18-20 ppm of calcium for each 2.8 dKH of alkalinity. The variation comes from different amounts of magnesium in the skeleton in place of calcium. Limewater (kalkwasser) adds 20 ppm calcium for each 2.8 dKH of alk.
 
If the system is mostly soft coral and/or anemones, would soda ash be a better choice over kalkwasser?
 
If the system is mostly soft coral and/or anemones, would soda ash be a better choice over kalkwasser?

No. Kalk is a fine alk and calcium additive for any system, and unless nitrate is rapidly accumulating, there is typically no alk consumption without calcium consumption. But the drop of both is first seen via alk dropping.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new