Kamoer Problem - FX-STP Flow Rate Drifting - Help

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi there,

I was using my Kamoer FX-STP to slowly drip Kalk To my display for 12 hours a day. I had to stop using it, because the flow rate would not stay constant. I originally thought it was because I was cycling the power and it wasn't starting back up at the original flow rate.

After taking the pump out of service, I tested it by running it 24 hours per day for the last 5 days or so. Each day the flow rate increases by 2-4 ml/min. Obviously this is unacceptable for a continuous duty dosing pump that I was planning on using for my Vertex calcium reactor.

Any ideas on how to remedy this, or things I might be able to check? Root cause?

Let me know your thoughts, and thank you in advance.

Nathan

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Surprised there is no one else having an issue. Should have listened to Scott Lief a while back and gone with ol reliable. "Bit the bullet" and went with a masterflex 7520-40 for ~ $100 less than what I paid for the Kamoer toy. Should be good for the next 15 years or so....

Best.

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been running two Kamoers since release with no issues. It shouldn’t gain in volume unless it gains speed? 2-4ml / min seems like a lot, especially on a pump that maxes out at 120. At that rate you would be at max rate in less than a month. Something else is going on here. Not saying it can’t be the pump but I would check your connections and your calibration. The pump won’t spin faster unless more power is applied and even then it’s top speed is limited. How is your tension on the pressure hose?

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been running two Kamoers since release with no issues. It shouldn’t gain in volume unless it gains speed? 2-4ml / min seems like a lot, especially on a pump that maxes out at 120. At that rate you would be at max rate in less than a month. Something else is going on here. Not saying it can’t be the pump but I would check your connections and your calibration.

Hey @Jaime7907 - Thank you for the reply, and I see I wasn't being specific in my original post. The digital readout on the screen is actually increasing over time. Usually it will have increased 1-2 mL/min overnight, and the same while I'm at work without any user input. I never let it "max out", as I always adjusted the knob so the digital readout was at 20 mL /min.

The pump won’t spin faster unless more power is applied and even then it’s top speed is limited. How is your tension on the pressure hose?

I assume by tension you mean the spring loaded adjustment knob?. If so, I have it tightened a few turns.... It is loose enough to allow the arm some play (it moves up and down slightly as the rollers spin). Is there a specific setting for this?. I still have it attached, and would be willing to play around with it if you have any suggestions.

Thanks

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is actual output increasing? Have you measured it before and after? Also may seem strange but do you have animals? My dogs knocked mine out of adjustment sniffing it. Just a thought. I would start by measuring the output when you set it and again after you notice the readout has changed. Problem does seem kind of strange.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is actual output increasing? Have you measured it before and after? Also may seem strange but do you have animals? My dogs knocked mine out of adjustment sniffing it. Just a thought. I would start by measuring the output when you set it and again after you notice the readout has changed. Problem does seem kind of strange.

I'm almost certain that output is actually increasing along with the readout, although I haven't tested it.... I don't have animals (i have a 5 year old though, so, semantics lol), and the increase happens even when he's not around...

I'll check try what you are suggesting tonight, and report back with findings.

igord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the same problem with my FX-STP pump, did you ever solve it?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back