Kasa smart power strip got stuck on

  • Thread starter Thread starter reely989
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I run Kasa 6 outlet power strips and single outlets in my system. In my experience the single outlets tend to lose wifi more frequently than the power strips, even though both are located 6 feet apart from the router. As you know once the outlet is programmed it will worked as scheduled without wifi. The problem is when there is a power outage and the outlet is running and "ON" event. This event gets stamped in the firmware and if the power doesn't come back before the "OFF" event the outlet will stay "ON" until the next programmed "ON-OFF" event occurs.

Yeah, like I posted above. I found a pretty easy safety for that. You can just set additional "off" commands after the fact whenever you want. I use mine for automatic water changes, so I just have an off toggle for about 15 minutes after my initial off command. Seems to work fine. Wouldn't work for an extended outage, but there are gonna be issues with that regardless.
 
The WiFi environment here is quite bad so I sometimes have connectivity issues. I recently started replacing my Kasa stuff with Yolink which doesn't really use WiFi but uses LoRa instead. I noticed the Yolink smartplug has an option to configure "power on status" to on/off/last state. Since I'm usually just filling barrels I set it to "off."
 
You might already do this, but I found the easiest way to have a "safety" is to have another "off" command scheduled a few minutes after the first. If it's already off nothing happens, but if it misses the first one, the second command will catch it. I guess you could have really bad luck and have the "off" command fail twice, but that hasn't happened to me yet.
Excellent advice
 
Just had my Kasa WiFi plug stick in the on position and dumped most of the food from my Avast Plank feeder into the display. Found it running this morning. After finding this post I’m going to add some additional Off commands to the schedule I’ve created for some redundancy. At least I wasn’t away on vacation when this happened.
 
Just had my Kasa WiFi plug stick in the on position and dumped most of the food from my Avast Plank feeder into the display. Found it running this morning. After finding this post I’m going to add some additional Off commands to the schedule I’ve created for some redundancy. At least I wasn’t away on vacation when this happened.

I’ve had no more issues since I added additional off commands. That should fix you right up
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new