Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Power Strip

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of us balling on a budget, and dont have an APEX controller, this strip is the next best thing. I purchased from Amazon and it has helped me save space. I also have neat options that allow me to see the power consumption right through the app on my phone. Its capable with Alexa and google although I dont have that connected. I went from 3 bulky timers and extensions, down to just the plugs. Heres a few pictures. Let me know if you have any questions.
ed8c3351a741da992d828a47485fde7b.jpg
d31d9fa5ce59105f18fe1c278af6fdbc.jpg
46bfc49d211acd5daeb44c1f6b3e2269.jpg

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else using these? They seem relatively untested in the reef market but have thousands of outstanding reviews. Definitely a HUGE cost saving over the common name controllers... albeit with much less cross-integration of toys. That said, you can set timers on each outlet using the Kasa 6 outlet strip. I wonder if you could program across outlets (e.g., analogous to a feeding schedule of sorts)?!

jjjameson333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else using these? They seem relatively untested in the reef market but have thousands of outstanding reviews. Definitely a HUGE cost saving over the common name controllers... albeit with much less cross-integration of toys. That said, you can set timers on each outlet using the Kasa 6 outlet strip. I wonder if you could program across outlets (e.g., analogous to a feeding schedule of sorts)?!

I’m using them as well on both DT, QT and Pico. I also use Alexa.
it’s an awesome device.

I have a “feeding mode” via a “scene”. Extremely easy to setup and use.

It’s only been a month for me though.
Love it!!

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few months, it does get "un-programmed" but you just have to sync your app to it and you're done with it.

Nalini Akolekar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using them as well on both DT, QT and Pico. I also use Alexa.
it’s an awesome device.

I have a “feeding mode” via a “scene”. Extremely easy to setup and use.

It’s only been a month for me though.
Love it!!
I Love mine! Makes everything easier.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like mine too. I have my 3 BRS dosing pumps set up on it. It has been very consistent so far.
I made sure to test what would happen if power went out when it was running and came back on after timer was supposed to shut off. When power came back, it was off. I'm still not 100% sure of this for dosing yet... I use it on a nano, and I'm not sure I'd use it if I had thousands of dollars of coral. With more time, and more reefers experience I will have more faith.

I am setting up my new tank with one too so I don't need to get under sump to unplug things. I really like the ability to turn pumps off when I feed corals and set a timer to start them back up. I used to forget to plug them back in sometimes.

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of them set up on my tank and I love the Alexa integration. I am also running a full Apex set up with an eb832.

Ikk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one on my nano reef. makes it easy to turn off the ATO, pumps, refugium light, and heater for water changes use it with my Alexa

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought one for my new build based on reviews here
It's not 100% perfect, but it does the job well. Keep an eye on the strip. It seems like once every 6 months, it needs reset. You can tell by the color of the power light, or if your lights are off schedule. I have since gotten an APEX, but still use the Kasa strip just for my lights.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old but important thread here... how is everyone's Kasa Power Strip holding up in the reefing world? I'm thinking about getting one for a Fusion 40 'nano.'

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old but important thread here... how is everyone's Kasa Power Strip holding up in the reefing world? I'm thinking about getting one for a Fusion 40 'nano.'
Its holing up well. Every once in a while ill have to reset it, but i still like it.

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I wish I had seen this thread sooner. I just upgraded my mess to a power strip that would take transformers. I have the Current USA Loop light system with 2 light strips and 2 wave pumps that have those transformer plugs that won't plug into a standard power strip. but I still have some mess with a power strip I use for some other lights that are controlled by WEMO plugs. What I don't like is I do not have the ability to set a timer to turn them back on after I turn them off.
Currently I put my Loop wave pumps in feed mode, unplug my canister filter and sometimes forget to plug the filter back in after feeding....Dohh...This stirp might be on order very soon. Maybe to get rid of the second strip I have and control my additional strip lights and filter....

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I wish I had seen this thread sooner. I just upgraded my mess to a power strip that would take transformers. I have the Current USA Loop light system with 2 light strips and 2 wave pumps that have those transformer plugs that won't plug into a standard power strip. but I still have some mess with a power strip I use for some other lights that are controlled by WEMO plugs. What I don't like is I do not have the ability to set a timer to turn them back on after I turn them off.
Currently I put my Loop wave pumps in feed mode, unplug my canister filter and sometimes forget to plug the filter back in after feeding....Dohh...This stirp might be on order very soon. Maybe to get rid of the second strip I have and control my additional strip lights and filter....
Its a great (cheap) alternative to an APEX. But its not perfect....other than the reboots once every 6 months. But usually i can tell when it needs it, so its not a big deal for my lights.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back