Very good questions.
Inkbird has a WiFi temp controller I do believe so that parameter can always be seen remotely. You will have to monitor temp on hot days and remotely or manually turn on a fan using the Kasa App. Not much of a hassle really - or set the fan on a timer using Kasa.
Lights that change intensity over the course of a day, while replicating nature, has limited overall impact on a home reef tank that I’m aware of.
For most reefers with basic needs - controllable outlets that can be put on a schedule - is all that is required. This is why the
BRS special edition simple Neptune Apex system sold like hotcakes and is no longer available. Neptune should give serious consideration for a $200-300 programmable power bar without some of the bells and whistles.
I value my ApexEL and it has the capacity for automation that far exceeds the Kasa strip... but I can save $400 and get a Kasa and WiFi-ready Inkbird and have a similar piece of mind and some extra cash to get an MP40 or Reef Octopus Varios return pump that are superior products to the current Apex hardware.
It will be great to see this hobby evolve in the coming years, no doubt.
QUOTE="SteveG_inDC, post: 7752975, member: 142955"]
So what do you miss using one of these versus an expensive dedicated aquarium controller? I'm trying to understand why Apex is such a dominant product in the
market given how expensive it is.
It seems like these smart plugs just turn on and off on a timer or manual (including via voice command, which is cool). There's a lot you can do/automate with that, but they can't take input from sensors like temperature, alkalinity, pH, salinity/conductivity, or water levels. Also, they can't make adjustments like controllable pumps or dimmable/programmable lights, right?
Is the solution to get dedicated controllers that come with those devices (pumps and lights), use float switches for water level control, and check other parameters manually? I guess the only thing I'd really miss is being able to connect heaters and fans to a temperature controller, although a dedicated temp controller is probably cheap. Thoughts? I just feel like Apex has a racket going. Their stuff is very expensive and works just ok (loud dosing pumps, short-lasting probes, mixed reviews on the software) but they have a corner on the
market.
[/QUOTE]