Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Power Strip

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. I have the APC smart power strip, but it only has 3 smart plugs, and 3 dumb plugs. I didn't know this KASA one existed with 6 smart plugs. Looks like I'll be replacing my APC unit. Just wish the KASA one wasn't double the price.

I have this one and it works great, but now I'm upset I don't have the 6 plug KASA one.

Apparently I need to upgrade. I'm shocked (i'm not).

61Vrnpnef4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. I have the APC smart power strip, but it only has 3 smart plugs, and 3 dumb plugs. I didn't know this KASA one existed with 6 smart plugs. Looks like I'll be replacing my APC unit. Just wish the KASA one wasn't double the price.

I have this one and it works great, but now I'm upset I don't have the 6 plug KASA one.

Apparently I need to upgrade. I'm shocked (i'm not).

61Vrnpnef4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Or you could use these with your “dumb” strip, as I do, only needed three plugs so it was much less expensive.
Mini Smart Plug Gosund WiFi Outlet Works with Alexa Google Assistant, No Hub Required, ETL and FCC Listed Only 2.4GHz WiFi Enabled Remote Control WiFi Smart Socket

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a reset is needed, how do you know? Also, am I correct in that the problem only seems to affect programming (e.g., lights programmed on during the day) but will have no effect on things run 24x7 like return pumps?

Thx

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you could use these with your “dumb” strip, as I do, only needed three plugs so it was much less expensive.
Mini Smart Plug Gosund WiFi Outlet Works with Alexa Google Assistant, No Hub Required, ETL and FCC Listed Only 2.4GHz WiFi Enabled Remote Control WiFi Smart Socket

I’m going to order three of those for other things around the house!

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a reset is needed, how do you know? Also, am I correct in that the problem only seems to affect programming (e.g., lights programmed on during the day) but will have no effect on things run 24x7 like return pumps?

Thx
youll know because a LED will change color to Orange (I think). I just had to open my phone app and re-sink it. If it looses wifi signal, it flashes red i believe. The other reason i know because my lights will be on past their set times. It doesnt happen often.

The other nice option it has, is that each plug has its own MANUAL on/off button. So if your phone isnt around or you need to hit the power quick, you just hit the button.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do these power outlets default to After power outages?
They just reset them selves to where you had them set too. The settings check the program for each outlet and turn it on or off depending on what it should be doing at that time of day.

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you miss using one of these versus an expensive dedicated aquarium controller? I'm trying to understand why Apex is such a dominant product in the market given how expensive it is.

It seems like these smart plugs just turn on and off on a timer or manual (including via voice command, which is cool). There's a lot you can do/automate with that, but they can't take input from sensors like temperature, alkalinity, pH, salinity/conductivity, or water levels. Also, they can't make adjustments like controllable pumps or dimmable/programmable lights, right?

Is the solution to get dedicated controllers that come with those devices (pumps and lights), use float switches for water level control, and check other parameters manually? I guess the only thing I'd really miss is being able to connect heaters and fans to a temperature controller, although a dedicated temp controller is probably cheap. Thoughts? I just feel like Apex has a racket going. Their stuff is very expensive and works just ok (loud dosing pumps, short-lasting probes, mixed reviews on the software) but they have a corner on the market.

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you miss using one of these versus an expensive dedicated aquarium controller? I'm trying to understand why Apex is such a dominant product in the market given how expensive it is.

It seems like these smart plugs just turn on and off on a timer or manual (including via voice command, which is cool). There's a lot you can do/automate with that, but they can't take input from sensors like temperature, alkalinity, pH, salinity/conductivity, or water levels. Also, they can't make adjustments like controllable pumps or dimmable/programmable lights, right?

Is the solution to get dedicated controllers that come with those devices (pumps and lights), use float switches for water level control, and check other parameters manually? I guess the only thing I'd really miss is being able to connect heaters and fans to a temperature controller, although a dedicated temp controller is probably cheap. Thoughts? I just feel like Apex has a racket going. Their stuff is very expensive and works just ok (loud dosing pumps, short-lasting probes, mixed reviews on the software) but they have a corner on the market.
I looked at Apex but could not justify the cost. Yes, lots of control and monitoring, but lots of complaints too.

The monitoring probes need adjust, calibration and even then many users say they are not reliable. To use for control, many things like lights and pumps now function on apps.

I use my Kasa I got to control anything without its own controller, ATO, circulation pumps, ATS & UV pump.

Just sharing my 2 cents...

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good questions.

Inkbird has a WiFi temp controller I do believe so that parameter can always be seen remotely. You will have to monitor temp on hot days and remotely or manually turn on a fan using the Kasa App. Not much of a hassle really - or set the fan on a timer using Kasa.

Lights that change intensity over the course of a day, while replicating nature, has limited overall impact on a home reef tank that I’m aware of.

For most reefers with basic needs - controllable outlets that can be put on a schedule - is all that is required. This is why the BRS special edition simple Neptune Apex system sold like hotcakes and is no longer available. Neptune should give serious consideration for a $200-300 programmable power bar without some of the bells and whistles.

I value my ApexEL and it has the capacity for automation that far exceeds the Kasa strip... but I can save $400 and get a Kasa and WiFi-ready Inkbird and have a similar piece of mind and some extra cash to get an MP40 or Reef Octopus Varios return pump that are superior products to the current Apex hardware.

It will be great to see this hobby evolve in the coming years, no doubt.

QUOTE="SteveG_inDC, post: 7752975, member: 142955"]

[/QUOTE]

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
youll know because a LED will change color to Orange (I think). I just had to open my phone app and re-sink it. If it looses wifi signal, it flashes red i believe. The other reason i know because my lights will be on past their set times. It doesnt happen often.

The other nice option it has, is that each plug has its own MANUAL on/off button. So if your phone isnt around or you need to hit the power quick, you just hit the button.

Do you know if the program has a way to do a timer for turning the plugs back on? I've been using mine for about a year to turn my leds on/off on a schedule. I've now got a power head plugged into it and would like to turn it off in the kasa app and then it just turn back on in 30 minutes. Everything I find in the app is a schedule.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if the program has a way to do a timer for turning the plugs back on? I've been using mine for about a year to turn my leds on/off on a schedule. I've now got a power head plugged into it and would like to turn it off in the kasa app and then it just turn back on in 30 minutes. Everything I find in the app is a schedule.

I don’t use Kasa specifically, but I run my WiFi outlets through Alexa and utilize the routine function. This allows all assortment of commands and timer functions. I can “run” a routine for feeding and have things turn off for a period of time. I also have one set to restore power to ATO everyday at 8:30pm in case I turned it off early in the day for whatever reason (cleaning, hands in tank, whatever) and forgot to turn it on myself.

I would imagine google assistant would operate similarly. Using the raw WiFi outlet apps doesn’t provide this capability.

Edit: I was wrong, I use Gosund products and their app provides “scenario” settings that do the same thing. One-click to have things turn off/on at customizable times on demand.

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont believe they have this option your looking for.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but you should be able to get a workable solution using just a schedule.

Set a schedule that your powerhead plug gets turned ON ever half hour throughout the day. All ON commands, every 30 minutes throughout the day. No OFF commands, just ON commands every 30 minutes.

If at any point during the day, you or somebody else turns that plug off, it will turn itself back on every 30 minutes....

You won't get a full 30 minute 'down time' doing it this way, but at least the plug would turn back ON by itself with no input from you.

Or you could use IFTTT possibly? Might need another sensor to trigger it though. Like a geofence or occupancy/motion sensor being quiet could trigger IFTTT to turn the plug back on.

Kasa is pretty well integrated with lots of programs, between Alexa/Google, Smartthings, IFTTT, etc... you should be able to come up with a work around to turn your plugs back on.

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use the Hs300 and a couple singles (Hs103?) for my QT setup and it works fairly well. I also have one integrated with ReefPi which allows for outlet controls based on sensors (temp, ph, optical, float), timers and macros. Works very well and a lot cheaper than an Apex + powerstrip.

I haven't messed around with more complex integration using voice commands and all that just because it's not needed for my simple QT setup. While the Kasa app is pretty basic in function and automation, from a quick look through IFTTT and my smart-things app it should be pretty doable and not to difficult to expand functikn. Looking at the Google home app it allows for routines based on the plugs and certain condition, what you can't do which Apex/ReefPi can is automation based on sensor input (like temp, PH, optical/float switches).

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Kasa strip. I’m using two of them along with an apex on my tank. I run the things I don’t necessarily need/want on my apex on them. I have my lights, cabinet lights, and power heads on them. (Radions, T5s, mp40s, reefwaves)

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the APC smart strips since they also have smart USB ports on them, which the Kasa don't. Unfortunately, they only have 3 smart AC plugs, not (6) like the bigger Kasa smart strip.

Someone needs to come out with a smart strip with (6) smart AC plugs and about 4 or so smart USB ports..... then I'd be happy. Right now I need to use a combination of several strips to get that ability.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the APC smart strips since they also have smart USB ports on them, which the Kasa don't. Unfortunately, they only have 3 smart AC plugs, not (6) like the bigger Kasa smart strip.

Someone needs to come out with a smart strip with (6) smart AC plugs and about 4 or so smart USB ports..... then I'd be happy. Right now I need to use a combination of several strips to get that ability.
There are lots of em on amazon, here’s one...
Smart Plug, Power Strip, POWSAV Smart Home WiFi Surge Protector with 5 Smart Outlets (Works with Alexa & Google Home) and 5 Always on outlets and 4 USB Ports, 6 Feet Extension Cord, Black, ETL Listed

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of em on amazon, here’s one...
Smart Plug, Power Strip, POWSAV Smart Home WiFi Surge Protector with 5 Smart Outlets (Works with Alexa & Google Home) and 5 Always on outlets and 4 USB Ports, 6 Feet Extension Cord, Black, ETL Listed

The USB ports on that one are NOT controllable.

NOTE: the USB ports and the 4 always on outlets will be on once the outlet is plugged in, they are not controlled by the app.

Back