Keep Kessil or go Radion

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm lots and lots to think about, i gotta see if kessil replaces the light because then ill just keep them no problem i love them. But if they dont and i need to buy a new light I had figured maybe id try something else just to see as all ive ever used was Kessil.
If you do decide to go a different direction, hit up a LFS or local user using radions and see them in person. Ultimately no one but you can tell what will be pleasing to your eyes.

OP
OP
Evan West

Evan West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not try t5?

Are you chasing par? Spectrum? Or just a name?
None lol just chasing the best LED light for my tank, kessil is great just thought this might be a decent time to switch it up and see how i like other lights. Gotta wait on what kessil says regarding replacing my a360

Karie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both Kessils and Radions. Each on two different tanks. They both are great lights but I have to admit, my tank with the Kessils is just a prettier tank with the shimmer. I like the way the light looks better. Its as simple as that.

Taps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go AcroOptics. All the punch and coverage of MH, all the controllability benefits of LEDs. Full disclosure, it's my company, but I've seen too many of these threads comparing two B+ systems as if that is all that is available. if you're an LPS/ zooanthid/echinacea keeper Radions and Kessils are great. If you're an Acro/Monti/Stylo keeper, get what fits your livestock.

I may get a nasty-gram re. self-promotion, but mention you responded to this post and I'll toss in a 15% discount.

Moderator(s) - not pimping (mostly), just trying to make sure folks know about what can really be done with an LED system. They are much more capable than people believe.

mdelgado0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same lights, I made some changes after watching the BRS video and it seemed to help. I can not keep SPS, still Trying to figure out if it's water or lights, all other coral types do fine, great color. I'm thinking if I do change it would be some type of hybrid system.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was your light dirty. Over heating is how you burn out leds. I have 4 A360WE on my tank and I grow mostly SPS. The blending andshimmer is fantastic. Radions are over priced.

Anyways if Anyone needs to know how a to clean a Kessil I have a video In my video series link below.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go AcroOptics. All the punch and coverage of MH, all the controllability benefits of LEDs. Full disclosure, it's my company, but I've seen too many of these threads comparing two B+ systems as if that is all that is available. if you're an LPS/ zooanthid/echinacea keeper Radions and Kessils are great. If you're an Acro/Monti/Stylo keeper, get what fits your livestock.

I may get a nasty-gram re. self-promotion, but mention you responded to this post and I'll toss in a 15% discount.

Moderator(s) - not pimping (mostly), just trying to make sure folks know about what can really be done with an LED system. They are much more capable than people believe.
Your lights are super expensive bro. Like I could never afford expensive.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3x Hydra 52s spaced evenly across a 6 foot tank and two kessil A360s on each end angled back across tank.

Hydra maxes out at 45-50% and Kessils Max out at 5-10%...i run them no higher.

The kessils put out enough light at 5% to 10% to help with shading from the hydra pucks (more light sources are better) and add some shimmer.

When I was in your shoes I decided to keep what i had and mix and match rather than buying and selling.

So what I'm saying is...let kessil fix the unit, keep them both and throw a radion in the center.

With some creative programming and aquascaling you have more options.

As you can see below, I aquascaped in 3 distinct sections, and specifically for the layout of various LED solutions.

You can always throw MH/T5s on a tank aquascaped for led but you cannot throw LEDs on tanks laud out for wall to wall T5s.

Last edited:

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3x Hydra 52s spaced evey across a 6 foot tank and two A360s on each end angles across.

When I was in your shoes I decided to keep what i had and mix and match rather than buying and selling.
For comparison here is my tank with only the hydra 52s at dusk compared to the combination of hydra 52s at dusk plus 2x Kessils at 0 color and 5% brightness.

You can guess which is which.
d0aa80f35ed44a2b35a6bf8eb6f43974.jpg
2f6882e589df61b18c4e83182b1dd73f.jpg

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 a360we for a new 90 I am having delivered on Thursday....so I am a noob so therefore take my advice with a grain of salt. However, I have done my research on the 360we's just like you and from what I gather the ideal combo would be the 360we's with supplemental T5's. Something else to consider!

So I have two kessil a360we, sould i sell them and get 2 xr15 gen 4 pro?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 128 42.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 107 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back