OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if i keep single of each instead of pairs?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Is it possible to keep together:

Blue green mandarin
Green mandarin
Red scooter
It might possible, ( if the 2 mandarins were of opposite sex) but not in a 15 gallon tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might possible, ( if the 2 mandarins were of opposite sex) but not in a 15 gallon tank.
Planning a bigger setup, i have a 24x24x18, will add a back sump, and making a diy drine hatcher for nauplii, almost like unlimited supply. Plus a pod culture external. I have a crazy idea, just dont want any aggression.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Planning a bigger setup, i have a 24x24x18, will add a back sump, and making a diy drine hatcher for nauplii, almost like unlimited supply. Plus a pod culture external. I have a crazy idea, just dont want any aggression.
IMO even that is too small.
These fish graze all day long.
You would have to do many feedings a day, every day,, day after day.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to keep together:

Blue green mandarin
Green mandarin
Red scooter
In a very large 180g+ system

Way to small for more than one

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently im feeding my single male mandarin in a 15g nauplii everyday, and pods that once a week from my pods culture tank. Looks nice and fat. All i do is remove the chaeto from the pod culture tank, and put that in the 15g tank once a week.

However since mandarins require a continuous supply, i have 1.5year old reef setup, so i can use some of the rocks from that setup, and add a new fresh liverock, let it cure for a month along with old mature rocks.

Filteration will only be chaeto in refugium, and macros like feather caulerpa, mangroves, etc in the display.

As for number of mandarins, i think ill stick with only 2 max (blue green and a red scooter or a female bluegreen), and add 2-3 pipefishs instead.

Feeding will be PaulB style brine feeder for nauplii (currently doing that), pods will still be cultured outside in a seperate tank, and Aquaforest phytomix will be added for the pods in refugium. Also im planning reverse style filteration, so pods dont go through the return pump.

Will also try training the fishes on frozen food asap.

Here is the Paul B style nauplii feeder im using, working great as of now.

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 600 gallon two fight anytime they cross paths. They latch onto each other’s mouths and shake each other around. I’ve seen it go on for more than 30 minutes before I broke them up before. IMO multiple specimens with the same body shape is a bad idea and completely unfair to the fish.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 600 gallon two fight anytime they cross paths. They latch onto each other’s mouths and shake each other around. I’ve seen it go on for more than 30 minutes before I broke them up before. IMO multiple specimens with the same body shape is a bad idea and completely unfair to the fish.
2 u mean male female or different types?

Jamie7907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 u mean male female or different types?

2 males. Male and female would be ok. I wish I hadn’t got the second male and I have a big tank so I thought it wouldn’t be a big deal but I was wrong. I wouldn’t do it again and really don’t recommend anyone else. If they fight in 600 gallons they’ll just fight that much more in a smaller tank. I haven’t noticed any issues between my dragonettes and my scooters, I think the body shape is different enough that they don’t pay each other much attention.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 males. Male and female would be ok. I wish I hadn’t got the second male and I have a big tank so I thought it wouldn’t be a big deal but I was wrong. I wouldn’t do it again and really don’t recommend anyone else. If they fight in 600 gallons they’ll just fight that much more in a smaller tank. I haven’t noticed any issues between my dragonettes and my scooters, I think the body shape is different enough that they don’t pay each other much attention.
So u have scooters too?

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i add a red scooter with it and a green spotted female as my bg is a male?

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have known others who had difficulty with a spotted/target mandarin coexisting in the same tank as a psychedelic. Their spotted would chase the psychedelic mandarin around the tank constantly, to the point where 1 mandarin had to be rehomed in another tank. In each case the tanks were larger 180, 300 gal etc. I saw a small spotted mandy chase a very large male psychedelic.
Read this thread:
www.reef2reef.com/threads/target-mandarin-pair.344120/#post-4284181

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have known others who had difficulty with a spotted/target mandarin coexisting in the same tank as a psychedelic. Their spotted would chase the psychedelic mandarin around the tank constantly, to the point where 1 mandarin had to be rehomed in another tank. In each case the tanks were larger 180, 300 gal etc. I saw a small spotted mandy chase a very large male psychedelic.
Read this thread:
www.reef2reef.com/threads/target-mandarin-pair.344120/#post-4284181
I guess ill go for a red scooter with my current blue green mandarin. And blue stripe pipes

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it could be done with enough rock work, having your tank planted, and multiple feeding stations. I'm planning to try something like this in the future. The tank will be established, I will be raising my own food including mysis, and I plan to have multiple feeding stations on top of that. I say give it a go, just plan carefully. These guys are always in demand so if it doesn't work out rehoming the ones you need to shouldn't be a problem.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back