Keeping multiple dragonets, possible???

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think it could be done with enough rock work, having your tank planted, and multiple feeding stations. I'm planning to try something like this in the future. The tank will be established, I will be raising my own food including mysis, and I plan to have multiple feeding stations on top of that. I say give it a go, just plan carefully. These guys are always in demand so if it doesn't work out rehoming the ones you need to shouldn't be a problem.

When you realize it won't work, it's usually too late because the fish has turned up missing because it's starved to death.

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you realize it won't work, it's usually too late because the fish has turned up missing because it's starved to death.
You can see if their bellies are fat or caving in. You can also sit and watch for aggression. For a little while every day.

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw if your patient and encourage algae growth you can see them swarming on the glass and rock. I accidentally did this. It's pretty cool to see.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You can see if their bellies are fat or caving in. You can also sit and watch for aggression. For a little while every day.
The op started this thread talking about keeping multiple dragonets in a very small tank.
Sure it can be done, but you need to meet basic requirements first.
Not what the op was planning.

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The op started this thread talking about keeping multiple dragonets in a very small tank.
Sure it can be done, but you need to meet basic requirements first.
Not what the op was planning.
The 15 gallon won't work. The planned tank + sump + feeders + cultured live food and multiple daily feedings could allow this project to succeed.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is just no, please don't do it.
The fish are territorial so even being able to keep them fed they will be stressed.
I have a small female mandarin and a small male black scooter in 125 G display, over stocked with lr, they tolerate each other!

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is just no, please don't do it.
The fish are territorial so even being able to keep them fed they will be stressed.
I have a small female mandarin and a small male black scooter in 125 G display, over stocked with lr, they tolerate each other!
PaulB is keeping them together feeding nauplii using his diy feeder which iv been using too. Iv been keeping a single mandarin and a pipe since a couple of months now, the mandarin is now super fat. Im feeding nauplii, and culturing pods using chaeto and nautral light, i add chaeto once a week. However, my plant is completely different, and iv already trashed my 15g, settingup a different system. Im not going to keep too may fishes, jus the current Mandarin and a red scooter, with 1 or 2 dragon pipes or blue stripe pipe. The system is going to be completely different and much bigger.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 15 gallon won't work. The planned tank + sump + feeders + cultured live food and multiple daily feedings could allow this project to succeed.
Not in a 15g, this tank will be bigger.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
PaulB is keeping them together feeding nauplii using his diy feeder which iv been using too. Iv been keeping a single mandarin and a pipe since a couple of months now, the mandarin is now super fat. Im feeding nauplii, and culturing pods using chaeto and nautral light, i add chaeto once a week. However, my plant is completely different, and iv already trashed my 15g, settingup a different system. Im not going to keep too may fishes, jus the current Mandarin and a red scooter, with 1 or 2 dragon pipes or blue stripe pipe. The system is going to be completely different and much bigger.
Yeah, but isn't his tank a couple hundred gallons?

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing back this old thread! How did you guys end up with your two mandarins? I just added a green spotted male mandarin to my female blue green mandarin and it’s been 3 days and whenever they cross paths the green spotted, or psychedelic, chases him around and seems as if he’s tearing apart his tail. Will they work it out or will this aggression just continue and get worse? I have them in a 5 gallon reef.

Just kidding I have a 120G I’m sure I just twisted somebody reading that lol

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 green spot mandarins would bite each other's gills and shake each other around but they worked it out eventually lol
Shoot mine did that too! I thought they were gonna kill each other but they seem fine now.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bringing back this old thread! How did you guys end up with your two mandarins? I just added a green spotted male mandarin to my female blue green mandarin and it’s been 3 days and whenever they cross paths the green spotted, or psychedelic, chases him around and seems as if he’s tearing apart his tail. Will they work it out or will this aggression just continue and get worse? I have them in a 5 gallon reef.

Just kidding I have a 120G I’m sure I just twisted somebody reading that lol
Mine fought for awhile and shredded each other’s tails but they seem fine now and the tails have grown back.

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine fought for awhile and shredded each other’s tails but they seem fine now and the tails have grown back.
Gotcha hope I have the same result. It’s only been 3 days however I won’t let it go on for too long if anything I’ll rehome one

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha hope I have the same result. It’s only been 3 days however I won’t let it go on for too long if anything I’ll rehome one
Some people say they dight if there’s not enough food so I stared feeding them more. Also I’ve had them since they were less than an inch long. There are captive bred. They were best buddies for a few months then they started chasing each other and now they are buddies again.

Moby the Mandarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine tdo chroma boost pellets. He eats them up like candy. Currently training a male ruby dragonet to do the same. There home is a fluval 13.5 gal.....
20210713_174117.jpg

Each dragonet will need 50g of system space devoted per fish, that has been established 6+ months for adequate pod population.

Attachments

• 20210925_194510.jpg
    20210925_194510.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210801_202935.jpg
    20210801_202935.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210926_160615.jpg
    20210926_160615.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 27
Back