Keeping Smaller Barracuda Species in Aquariums

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we think of barracuda's we often think of the Great Barracuda which reach around 5 feet and are absolutely not suitable for a home aquarium. But there are other species of barracuda like the yellowtail barracuda (Sphyraena flavicauda) which reaches a max of 24 inches and on average 14-16 inches or the striped barracuda (Sphyraena obtusata) which only reaches a max size of 21 inches. Some tangs even grow to these lengths and I imagine require the same amount of swimming room. I especially love the yellowtail barracuda. Has anyone ever kept one and can you even buy one? They seem like a perfect fit for a predatory reef granted you'd have a large enough aquarium but I can't find information anywhere.

Yellowtail_Barracuda_Sphyraena_obtusata.width-800.f148005.jpg 26244690787_1dab12927e_b.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a schooling fish, and i would guess they would like a pond over most aquariums, for size and depth needed to swim and hunt. They will probably be easy to feed (dead or frozen) or even pellets but are going to eat other fishes if they can fit them in their mouths.

OP
OP
J

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a schooling fish, and i would guess they would like a pond over most aquariums, for size and depth needed to swim and hunt. They will probably be easy to feed (dead or frozen) or even pellets but are going to eat other fishes if they can fit them in their mouths.
I initially imagined they'd have similar spacial requirements to blue and yellow fusiliers which grow around 15 inches not far off from the average yellowtail barracuda at 14-16 and are also a schooling fish. But if even a tank large enough for fusiliers is too small maybe you're right about them needing something as large as a pond.

OP
OP
J

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be interested in the red tail barracuda - it’s a freshwater characin (same family as tetras and piranhas) that looks a lot like a barracuda, hence the name:
1713464622016.jpeg

One would do well in a 125 gallon.
Ahh yes I've seen those before they are very cool. If I ever built a freshwater tank large enough to keep one I'd definitely consider them for a South American biotope.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm so I'd imagine even an 8-10 foot aquarium would be too small due to their swimming speed?
I had never even considered the schooling habit that also was mentioned and also makes a lot of sense. it'd be a task to keep it happy.
interestingly, Goliath Tigerfish somehow make it into the hobby but i've yet to see one get much over a foot in size.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had never even considered the schooling habit that also was mentioned and also makes a lot of sense. it'd be a task to keep it happy.
interestingly, Goliath Tigerfish somehow make it into the hobby but i've yet to see one get much over a foot in size.
I’ve seen reports of a few at 3-4 feet - it takes a lot of work to get that size, most simply die before getting a chance.

OP
OP
J

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen reports of a few at 3-4 feet - it takes a lot of work to get that size, most simply die before getting a chance.
Seems to be the case with a lot of predatory fish. I've heard most groupers don't reach their maximum size as well. I'd imagine they grow very quickly to their average size then the growth is significantly slower to reach closer to max recorded size. Even in 500+ gallon aquariums I'd imagine a miniatus grouper isn't reaching maximum potential.

OP
OP
J

jacrispy516

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be how essential is their schooling behavior. A lot of schooling species like batfish, tangs and sweetlips are fine in aquariums as a solo fish but we're talking about a completely different genera that nobody has really even kept. I'm sure it would take a few people trying them out and seeing what the deal is to determine how well fit they are for aquarium life.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, if you had a 50+ foot long aquarium. It's not just their max size. It's their speed and constant swimming nature.

That's a fine example of a fish that should just be left in the sea.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
When we think of barracuda's we often think of the Great Barracuda which reach around 5 feet and are absolutely not suitable for a home aquarium. But there are other species of barracuda like the yellowtail barracuda (Sphyraena flavicauda) which reaches a max of 24 inches and on average 14-16 inches or the striped barracuda (Sphyraena obtusata) which only reaches a max size of 21 inches. Some tangs even grow to these lengths and I imagine require the same amount of swimming room. I especially love the yellowtail barracuda. Has anyone ever kept one and can you even buy one? They seem like a perfect fit for a predatory reef granted you'd have a large enough aquarium but I can't find information anywhere.

Yellowtail_Barracuda_Sphyraena_obtusata.width-800.f148005.jpg 26244690787_1dab12927e_b.jpg
Smallest I’ve seen is 2-4 feet and the amount of food they require will leave you broke
You will need as example 4-6 sardines, cuttlefish, herring and similar to satisfy them daily and ability to maintain good water quality constantly

Kraff813

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a small 3”-4” barracuda in a 265-gallon like 15 years ago. It was cool when it ate, but the rest of the time it’s a boring silver fish that hovers. It was short lived and ended up jumping out of the tank and dying. Wouldn’t recommend or do it again.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back