Keeping temp stable while drip acclimating? (and when to dip)

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started taking acclimation and dipping more seriously now that I've begun my move into SPS. I'm good with the basics of drip acclimation, but I've found that my temp drops in the bucket more than I'd like. That makes sense because and hour of dripping is plenty time for water too cool down towards room temp. Maybe the answer is "put a heater in the bucket stupid". I don't know if the water volume of even a larger shipment is enough to support a heater. What do you guys do? I guess ideally you would float the drip container in the sump or something but I have a 29cube AIO. Maybe one of those tiny gold fish bowl heaters?

In regards to dipping what I've been doing is doing the full acclimation, then dipping in a separate bucket of 100% tank water, empty out drip bucket and replace with tank water, then rinse corals in tank water bucket and pop them in. Does that sound about right?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is how I dip, acclimate first, then dip, then rinse in tank water...

As for dripping, what temperature is your acclimation bucket/box/whatever dropping down to? if your room temperature is like 72F, it's likely fine... Just be sure to temp acclimate before putting it into the tank...

But I have to ask, why are you drip acclimating your corals? I only acclimate my corals when they come into my house, I don't acclimate if I'm switching them between tanks. I empty half the water in the container every 15-20 minutes and replace with tank water. I do this maybe 4 or 5 times...

OP
OP
O

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, nothing crazy, but down to around 72ish is about right. I guess I can float a small container in the tank to get them warmed back up as the final step.

Only for new corals coming in.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.5%
Back