OP
OP
kennywiz

kennywiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping up with a daily 5g water change to aid the export of the trate and algae. It's been getting better. I read 5-10ppm today, (colors were very close), and the algae was much less dense. I also cut the photo and covered the tank to aid even more with the algae export.
B857FF6E-8E4A-41AE-9F02-C3E3020E2E20-7207-000008E0D972FA25_zps744b834f.jpg

My wife asked if I was unveiling something. ;)
Before I cut the photo period and covered the tank, all the corals were doing well. The replacement Kessil arrived and is on the tank.

All the other parameters look good. I've been using NeoMarine salt and noticed the Alk is usually around 6ish when I mix a 1.026 batch, (after a day of mixing and heat). I've been supplementing to bring it up to 8. Mag was a little low too, so i brought it up to 1300. Ph hovers 8.1-8.3.

I'm trying a few things to keep the sound of falling water down. The bags of bio rings that came with the tank do a fair job. My only fear is that they too will become filled with detritus the same as the sponges. I'm going to pick up some Gutter Guard tomorrow and try that. I've read a few posts on other sites noting it's use to quiet overflow intake. Can't hurt!
e23717c2-a878-4361-9d93-aa3cdf93030b_300_zps1fbb2c24.jpg

I also played with the output of the Aquamaxx skimmer by trying different pvc pieces and directions. It has quieted down a great deal but there's still an audible "burgle" from across the room. I had hoped this system to be as near silent as possible. It does WORK and WORK well.

I'm hoping InTank gets there stuff together and has the media baskets out for these tanks in the near future. I spoke to them and they said "any time now".

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let us know how it goes! Best of luck!

OP
OP
kennywiz

kennywiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae Bloom:

The 5g water changes and removal of the sponges immediately dropped the trate down to 8-10ppm. However, the brown algae bloom was still evident. I "blacked out" the tank for two days and that took care of most of it, but after a photo period, most returned.

I've been reading a lot about Dr. Tim's products. I found a good number of positive reviews and solid science. I emailed them and they replied with 3 products that would eradicate my algae issue.
Since I'm using a CPR nano reactor, I started using a very small amount of Dr. tim's pellets, (10ml worth). Export of the reactor is in the same baffle as the Aquamaxx skimmer intake.
They suggested two liquid products. ReFresh and Waste Away. I read the instructions but used a fraction of the recommended dose for my tank size. In two days, all brown algae is gone. Trate is 0 and Phos is undetectable. (All other parameters test OK)

Amazing products and great support.

The only issue is a couple of my sps are not looking good. One is a small frag I picked up at a couple weeks ago. It is turning white from the bottom up. Another is a blue tort I had in my 65g for almost a year. It's color has lightened and it does not extend the 'tentacles" anymore. I have other SPS that are doing great. My LPS and zoa/paly/shrooms are doing good too.

???????????

I doubt its an issue with light or water parameter. I have the Kessil 350 running shy of 40% and the water tests within spec.
0 amm
0 trite
0 trate
calc 400
alk 9
mag 1250
phos 0
Salifert tests for most

I have read several threads on pellets where the user has seen immediate loss of some corals while others thrive.

I'll continue to monitor.

My 65g should be picked up this weekend, so I can finalize the RL30's placement and setup. I wanted to go Apex but budget is putting a hold on that. I'll just reuse the RKL from the 65. I mainly just use it to monitor/control temp, monitor ph, fan, and as a timer.

I will be adding 2 bangaii from the 65g. I am holding off on any new corals until my sps comes back, or dies and I figure out what happened.

Here's some pics
DSC_0078_zps0257a94d.jpg

DSC_0085_zps91d7b983.jpg

DSC_0083_zps73baf58e.jpg

DSC_0076_zps7e937149.jpg

DSC_0075_zpsd72d2964.jpg

DSC_0073_zpsf3bafea8.jpg

DSC_0074_zps040e8dcc.jpg

Still need to play with my wife's DSLR to get colorful, focused shots.

Thanks for watching!

Ltlevil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup Kenny. I have seen several times that people using reactors for PO4 removal actually remove ALL of it. In turn the corals react adversely and somewhat ironically, the SPS are often the first to show signs of stress in the "ultra clean" water they are supposed to require. You may want to invest in a ultra low Phosphate test kit or maybe take a sample to your LFS if they have one and make sure it's not below .25-.50. Also what type of lighting was on the 65g? I'm assuming LEDs as you stated you wanted to stay with them. Also did you dip the corals from the swap prior to placing in the tank? That Kessil looks a lot better and has much better coverage than I expected. Out of curiosity why did you not go with the unibody? I also looked at these but honestly felt they were over-priced, especially compared to all the other options available.

OP
OP
kennywiz

kennywiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup Kenny. I have seen several times that people using reactors for PO4 removal actually remove ALL of it. In turn the corals react adversely and somewhat ironically, the SPS are often the first to show signs of stress in the "ultra clean" water they are supposed to require. You may want to invest in a ultra low Phosphate test kit or maybe take a sample to your LFS if they have one and make sure it's not below .25-.50. Also what type of lighting was on the 65g? I'm assuming LEDs as you stated you wanted to stay with them. Also did you dip the corals from the swap prior to placing in the tank? That Kessil looks a lot better and has much better coverage than I expected. Out of curiosity why did you not go with the unibody? I also looked at these but honestly felt they were over-priced, especially compared to all the other options available.

Thanks!

65lighting: led

Used a solution of a Dr.Tims product created to ease coral stress after fragging or new tank.
(I've found that anything dr. Tim's works as advertised, if not better.)

The jbj light did not provide enough coverage. Jbj themselves use two on their office 30g.

Because the Kessil 360 has hit the market, you can pick up a pre owned 350 for a very reasonable amount. The light is great and so is their support. I will upgrade to the 360 one day because the 350 is either on or off. No way to do dusk/dawn.

Ltlevil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to check into the Dr Tims stuff. Anytime I can get first hand accounts of a product means much more than reading about it online or elsewhere. Let us know how everything goes.

OP
OP
kennywiz

kennywiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a bit of a lapse...

Anyway, had a brown algae issue for a few weeks. Consistently tested 0 phos and the like. Took my water to a few different shops just to be sure and all tests coincided with good parameters. RODI at 0 TDS with Brightwell salt. ???????????? Couldn't find out what is causing the algae, and still can't.

However, I started 10g WC every week and using filter floss in both baskets, (changing floss every 2-3 days). The floss comes out brown all the way through but the display is good now.
I only feed every other day and it gets eaten.

I also removed the bio pellet reactor and changed the Chemi Pure Elite, Purigen, and SeaGel.

Corals and fish are looking very good and all water tests perfectly all the time.

Ordered a couple baskets from inTank as the RL30's were finally available. They should be here soon.

Will try to be better at keeping the updates. It got rough for a while when I couldn't figure out where the brown algae was coming from. Thought about shutting it down and getting out.

I had to take the glass tops off as the tank was getting WAY too hot. I had a fan running off of an RKL. I kept getting wacky temp readings, so I got new porbes. The new probes started "wigging" out too. Did some reading and evidently, you CANNOT have those probes anywhere near magnetic interference, like a fan motor...
I am looking into chillers but am able to hold 79 degrees on very warm days with the AC and ceiling fan on.

Anyway, bought the mesh kit from BRS and am very happy. Ordered a few more of the plastic glass top holders from JBJ and modified them to hold the screen.
*Note: If you buy this kit, measure several times and take the frames to HomeDepot or you local hardware store to get cut. I used a jig and a hacksaw. The frame is slightly out of square. Not bad, but not great. Still very usable.

OP
OP
kennywiz

kennywiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still need a macro lens, but got a few pics from my iphone!

Been slackin over the summer but gettin back into it! Also eyeing the new 45g AIO from JBJ too!!!!!

No more brown algae blooms. I started using only water from a LFS. I do 5-10g WC every week or so. Keeping these small tanks is a little more intense than larger ones.

I had a very small green hair outbreak that I jumped on and haven't seen much of it since.

Water changes, water changes, water changes, water changes, water changes, water changes, water changes. Filter pads, a chemi pure, and a little carbon help too.

I LOVE THIS LITTLE PLATE! Got it at the Dexter swap las winter. The color cannot be seen with a camera. I feed it gel food once a week.

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and it just hit the 1 year mark. My first 6 months were full of random brown slime and the tank fluctuating. It was going through a few long cycles due to adding new rock and changing the aquascape around. Parameters are solid now and I am still running the Hydor Nano skimmer. Mine is in the bedroom and is quiet. It barely skims anything now because the tanks stays super clean even though fish are fed 2 times a day and corals once a day. Phospates are .02 with only bi weekly 5 gallon water changes. I took out the ceramic beads, added purigen, and left the sponges to catch large matter. GFO and carbon is ran in a 2 little fishies reactor. I have mostly SPS and a few ZOAs.

OP
OP
kennywiz

kennywiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good the hear its working out for you!

I have two Intank Media baskets. Both with filter floss changed weekly, one with Purigen, carbon, ceramic rings, and the other with ClearFX, and a phosphate sponge. I left the rings in because why not have more surface area for the good bacteria. I got rid of the sponges because they trap trates and phates. I can easily change out the floss and keep it clean.

The Aquamaxx skimmer is overkill but it is a heavily stocked tank for it's size. 2 clowns, a banggai, and a dotty. I tend to run it wet and have to empty once or twice a week. God awful stench, so, its working.

I started feeding every other or third day and rarely feed the corals. I do make sure all the food is consumed. If I do feed the corals, its a mysis to the plate and spot blasts with minced frozen, Phyto, or even better, the gel packs from Instant Ocean. Every thing in the tank LOVES it. The corals open up more for that than the LRS frenzy frozen.

I have been quite happy with this tank. Although, if I had it to do over again, I would have grabbed the IM38. While the footprint is the same, the IM38 has a few more inches up top. The RL45 looks great too, however, I'd have to get another stand made and that's more $$$$$$.

I am in the market for a used IM38.

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the stand you posted. I was in a hurry and did not want to build my own so I got 2 24" stands from Petco.

The RL45 looks very nice.

Back