Kenya tree leather coral shrinkage? Need Help Please

Simon_Goffen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgraded my tank from 40 gallon to 120 gallon. After moving all the corals from 40g to 120g leather coral shrunk and never opened again, its been more than 2 weeks and its still in the same state. It used to open up nicely in my 40g and now it’s not even 1/4 of its original size and leaning to a side. All my other corals are doing great. I used most of the water from 40g and moved all the live rocks to 120g. Any advice? I really appreciate it. All parameters have been stable (nitrate 2-5, ammonia/nitrite 0, phosphate 0.03) ph 8.2 temp 87 alkalinity 9dkh

20210819_074258.jpg 20210322_174548.jpg

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgraded my tank from 40 gallon to 120 gallon. After moving all the corals from 40g to 120g leather coral shrunk and never opened again, its been more than 2 weeks and its still in the same state. It used to open up nicely in my 40g and now it’s not even 1/4 of its original size and leaning to a side. All my other corals are doing great. I used most of the water from 40g and moved all the live rocks to 120g. Any advice? I really appreciate it. All parameters have been stable (nitrate 2-5, ammonia/nitrite 0, phosphate 0.03) ph 8.2 temp 87 alkalinity 9dkh

20210819_074258.jpg
I would be extremely surprised if it doesn't make it. They are hard to kill. Mine dropped a small branch and got sucked up on the intake for my filter and started growing on that even. Did you change your lighting much?

OP
OP
S

Simon_Goffen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be extremely surprised if it doesn't make it. They are hard to kill. Mine dropped a small branch and got sucked up on the intake for my filter and started growing on that even. Did you change your lighting much?

Thank you for getting back.

I did hope it will bounce back in a week or so, but now after 2 weeks am getting worried about it. I increased 5% of the same lighting (blues and whites). I have a maxspect razor led.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your temp really 87? Also, leathers can be pouty, I recently had one sulk and not put polyps out for around two weeks after adding it to my tank. Did you change your lighting? If so, try looking at it at night, if it’s expanded and polyps out then, it may be getting too much light. I would just give it some time, so long as it’s not disintegrating, it should be fine.

OP
OP
S

Simon_Goffen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your temp really 87? Also, leathers can be pouty, I recently had one sulk and not put polyps out for around two weeks after adding it to my tank. Did you change your lighting? If so, try looking at it at night, if it’s expanded and polyps out then, it may be getting too much light. I would just give it some time, so long as it’s not disintegrating, it should be fine.

Temp is around 28 to 29 degree celsius. The polyps are out all the time its just shrunk too small. I increased my lighting by 5% as the 120 is deeper than the 40g i had. It was in a very low light location, so i moved him to higher lighting hoping it will open up, but its still the same. Appreciate your help and for giving hope :)

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
28-29 celsius is a bit high. 26 would be better. i don't know if that's to much for kenya tree but its definitely hotter than where I would want to keep fish.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back