Kenyan tree dropping babies.

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year ago I bought a $5 frag of a Kenyan tree and it was TINY. Like 1”-2” y’all when it was out. Then about a month later I bought a rock of mushrooms from someone and she said she threw a Kenyan tree frag in the bucket that was just floating around in her tank. I honestly didn’t even see the frag when I put the mushrooms in the tank, but it must have been in there. Looking back to today, I have 2 Kenyan trees that are each probably 8” across and the base of them is the size of a quarter maybe. Thing is, they are dropping babies everywhere. At first maybe 1 a month, but now I can see probably 2 drops under each frag and a few in random spots in the tank. Is this normal? The reason I question it is because at night and sometimes during the day, the Coral will stay closed for longer than other corals stay closed. I didn’t know if parts are like breaking off or if it is healthy.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What your seeing is completely normal, but unless you want a Kenya Tree garden you might want to remove the babies ASAP. Trade them in at the LFS, give them away to a fellow hobbyists etc.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is totally normal once the regular Kenya trees get big enough.
and not entirely desirable, after you get over the 1st flush of "wow this is so cool my coral is having babies."

I wish I could get the neon green Kenya tree to do that.
[emoji4]

OP
OP
Gator2019

Gator2019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local fish store has a 75 gallon tank that is just Xenia and Kenyan tree (literally just that and it covers every inch of the tank) and they have trunks like 4” in diameter. That is what I was expecting. I seem to be ending up with the Kenyan tree everywhere and not getting thicker.

Funny enough, my Xenia is staying at 4 heads and hasn’t really spread like I thought it would. I thought it would take off before Kenyan tree. Honestly, it’s the weird stuff that takes off. Like my hammer has split 4 times in the time it took the Xenia to split 4 times.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, This is a perfect example of what some people talk about when they say "I can grow this coral like a weed but this other coral doesn't take off the way everyone says it would."
Sometimes it's difficult to tell what trace element or exact flow in that part of the tank or lighting effect is different from tank to tank.
"Every tank is different."
[emoji4]

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back