Kermit my Green Mandarin

Reef Ryder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question actually, I'm sure there is a name for it but I was GUESSING it's a disease like rot fin that's not on the fin so there will be a different name, that's a guess though. @Humblefish, if it is not anything bacterial, let's just say it's cosmetic, if he was to QT with medication, would that at all harm Kermit?

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question actually, I'm sure there is a name for it but I was GUESSING it's a disease like rot fin that's not on the fin so there will be a different name, that's a guess though. @Humblefish, if it is not anything bacterial, let's just say it's cosmetic, if he was to QT with medication, would that at all harm Kermit?

Great question. I am scared to move him and treat him unnecessarily. I don't have a at tank at this time so I am at a loss as to what I should do. The spots haven't grown or multiplied. He isn't acting any different. How do I know for sure if it's a infection?

Reef Ryder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question. I am scared to move him and treat him unnecessarily. I don't have a at tank at this time so I am at a loss as to what I should do. The spots haven't grown or multiplied. He isn't acting any different. How do I know for sure if it's a infection?
IDK! Honestly based on everything you said and since you don't have a QT, I would do nothing but monitor and make sure he's eating and the spots are not spreading. My yellow tang has fatty deposits and the only thing I can do is catch him and pick them off.. I good on that lol I'm not doing that. I guess my last piece of advice is to just keep calm and reef on brother.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK! Honestly based on everything you said and since you don't have a QT, I would do nothing but monitor and make sure he's eating and the spots are not spreading. My yellow tang has fatty deposits and the only thing I can do is catch him and pick them off.. I good on that lol I'm not doing that. I guess my last piece of advice is to just keep calm and reef on brother.

Cool. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep a really close eye on him.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Fin rot" is just a visible symptom of an active bacterial infection; or in rare cases, flukes may also be responsible.

A bacterial infection occurs when harmful bacteria invade skin tissue, damage cells, trigger systemic inflammatory responses, and release toxins (in a pathogenic or infectious relationship). The damage can start in one place (like the fins) and then spread all over (or even inside) the body.

Of course, "fin rot" could also just be mistaken for one fish nipping the fins of another fish. ;)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How is Kermit? Been watching for updates. This is my son's favorite fish. He keeps asking how he is doing.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is Kermit? Been watching for updates. This is my son's favorite fish. He keeps asking how he is doing.

Weird. My phone hasn't been showing I have new responses. Sorry . I was just getting in here to
Update. The spots are almost completely gone. He's eating more and more actively every day. I finally found a pistol shrimp to add to my tank and he paired up with my black ray goby right away. Awesome to see. The goby stays out from under the rock now right in front of the little cave the shrimp dug. It's cool to watch. I ordered the hob fish breeder box to use as a refugium so I can cultivate copepods. Should be in by Wednesday. Anything I should add to it besides chato and live rock?

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Post that question as a thread. There are experts that will hook you up with the right RX.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. Kermit never shows his top fin. Having a hard time seeing if he even has one. Lol. I'm gonna try and sit at the tank here in a bit and see if I can see it. I really would hate calling a girl Kermit. Lol

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just give her a girly middle name. Kermit Marie, Kermit Ann...

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to do an updat on Kermit. All white spots are gone and he is very active and eating all the time. He still eats frozen and I'm still adding live copepods to the tank. I discovered my filter cartridges were covered with amphipods which I added to my hob refugium. I'm getting ready to add another bottle of live copepods to my tank and refugium tonight after lights out. He is still nice and chubby and very active. So far so good. Only problem I'm having now is deciding what fish I can add that will get along with Kermit. Already had to put one of my hermit crabs in the refugium because he was trying to kill my turbo snail. Going to dontate him to class tank. Lol

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Post a new pic. He is my son's favorite.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a new pic. He is my son's favorite.

I'll try and get a good pic of him tomorrow. I only have my phone camera so sometimes it's hard to get a good pic. Maybe I'll try when I turn off the filter to feed them. They all perk up and come towards the front of the tank because they know foods coming when the filter goes off. Lol. I have them trained.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'll try and get a good pic of him tomorrow. I only have my phone camera so sometimes it's hard to get a good pic. Maybe I'll try when I turn off the filter to feed them. They all perk up and come towards the front of the tank because they know foods coming when the filter goes off. Lol. I have them trained.
No, they have us trained! Lol

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So true. I'm worried about leaving them to go visit my family this summer. How am I going to feed them while I'm out of town? Lol.
Is there a service that cleans tanks in for area? Or do you have a local reef club?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why not post on here that you need a tank sitter? I'm sure you would find an answer.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back