Kessel or AI Prime ??

ShaneWedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about removing the hood on my 32gal LED biocube and been looking at better lighting. I'm kind of torn between either the Kessel A360N-E Tuna or the AI Prime 16HD . It seems that the bang for your buck is the AI Prime, however I have seen videos where it gives off the prism effect on the sand. I don't want to see the color spectum shimmering on my sand. The Kessel, for the max $$$$ I want to spend, I would need to purchase the controller for it to dial it in the best. Anyone have any experience with either of these two lights on their own AIO's and can you show pictures??

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat- I ended up getting some ai primes- and honestly I’m very happy with my decision. There is not a lot of color shimmer but if it’s a concern you can get diffuser off eBay or online for pretty cheap that will solve the shimmer/prism effect.

move never used the kessil but wanted to let you know my experience with the ai primes. App is really easy to use too.
Take care and happy reefing.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see used Kessil's out there pretty often. Lots of folks step up to the A360X, which puts the "N" and "W" models out there for grabs. Check the marketplace, often.
What I love about Kessil is that they have the most consistent spectrum for healthy coral life. The adjustments that you make are going to impact the look of your tank, but that's it. It will give you what you need.
Kessil also has the shimmer without the disco ball.
I'm biased because I am replacing the original AI fixtures that came with my tank with Kessil. The AI never really did anything special for the tank. Granted, these are older lights but it made me research what else was out there.
I'd go with what is available that meets your budget. I doubt that you can make a bad choice here.

OP
OP
ShaneWedge

ShaneWedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat- I ended up getting some ai primes- and honestly I’m very happy with my decision. There is not a lot of color shimmer but if it’s a concern you can get diffuser off eBay or online for pretty cheap that will solve the shimmer/prism effect.

move never used the kessil but wanted to let you know my experience with the ai primes. App is really easy to use too.
Take care and happy reefing.
Just watched a video for the 3D Reefing diffuser. I think, for the $$$, I will start off with the AI and the diffuser.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back