Kessil A360WE Supplementing Fluorescense

tmerritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, when I purchased my used tank it included a trio of Kessil A360WEs. From what I understand these lights provide everything corals need to grow good. With that in mind I know that more fluorescence would be for my viewing pleasure and therefore not my highest priority when planning future purchases, but I would like to know what options (if any) do I have for supplementing additional fluorescence in my lighting. It seems like the Reef Brite Lumi Lite blue strips have actinic light that should give the corals more pop, does that work like I think it works?

A cheaper article I read had a DIY approach for adding UV and was fairly cheap and easy to do, just not as polished of a look: https://engineersreef.com/kessil-a360we-uv-booster-diy

Would either of those 2 options get me that coral pop or do I need to look at switching over to some Ecotech Radions in the future to get that color?

Thanks!

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, when I purchased my used tank it included a trio of Kessil A360WEs. From what I understand these lights provide everything corals need to grow good. With that in mind I know that more fluorescence would be for my viewing pleasure and therefore not my highest priority when planning future purchases, but I would like to know what options (if any) do I have for supplementing additional fluorescence in my lighting. It seems like the Reef Brite Lumi Lite blue strips have actinic light that should give the corals more pop, does that work like I think it works?

A cheaper article I read had a DIY approach for adding UV and was fairly cheap and easy to do, just not as polished of a look: https://engineersreef.com/kessil-a360we-uv-booster-diy

Would either of those 2 options get me that coral pop or do I need to look at switching over to some Ecotech Radions in the future to get that color?

Thanks!
I am a kessil user and I am happy with Kessils alone so you might just be happy as is. If you really really want pop I would to the Reefbrite XHOs they even make kits that fit 360s. The XHOs will be far briter than the lumilights.

OP
OP
T

tmerritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a kessil user and I am happy with Kessils alone so you might just be happy as is. If you really really want pop I would to the Reefbrite XHOs they even make kits that fit 360s. The XHOs will be far briter than the lumilights.
Thanks for the reply! Which Kessils do you have? I think the A360X added more LEDs in the UV spectrum compared to the A360WE. I do like the Kessils in general and think they have good color, just some corals don’t have that “pop” that I see with some other lighting that I’d like to have.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! Which Kessils do you have? I think the A360X added more LEDs in the UV spectrum compared to the A360WE. I do like the Kessils in general and think they have good color, just some corals don’t have that “pop” that I see with some other lighting that I’d like to have.
I have a strange combo 2 ap9x 1 360x and 2 a360s. In my last tank I had 3 regular 360s and was happy.

OP
OP
T

tmerritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might just not be getting the highest quality corals in some cases as some of mine do really pop. As an example of a coral that didn’t live up to expectation here’s a hammer that I got from an online auction. The picture that shows purple with sky blue tips is what I bid on and the other picture is what it looks like with my lighting. I called and asked about it and they said they didn’t use any sort of filter.

Attachments

• 3ED35CD2-EDAD-4233-B961-27403B17D999.jpeg
    3ED35CD2-EDAD-4233-B961-27403B17D999.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 0DE58316-3668-493F-BF70-948CC708F7E4.jpeg
    0DE58316-3668-493F-BF70-948CC708F7E4.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 17

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back