Kessil A360WE versus A360X

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to buy my first light for a 19" cube tank (33 gallons). I'm still considering the A160 (including 2 of them if necessary), but starting to lean towards a single 90W light.

So it may come down to the new versus older Kessil 360.

Interested in opinions- is the A360X worth the extra price? I am budget conscious... if regularly dusting of the older light gives it about the same life span, I'm not sure I see the value of the newer X. (Yes, I am puckering over $100 in this hobby... oh well.)

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 360 we’s in my system. I don’t plan on getting the x’s. I personally don’t see the value in them. I would consider one of these.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say. I have both. In the here and now, I’d say that the x is better, but not $100 better. X factor (pun intended) is whether the redesigned fan/heat sink means a longer life. I have found the WE to not be all that long lasting. I would not personally buy a used one.

U

User1

View Badges
X's are not cheap by any means but they are a well engineered light with high quality at the start of the launch. This isn't a dig against the Gen 5's but that didn't go over well. I have three of the X's and getting a 4th. I did have one that started to flicker here recently and Kessil shipped me a new one over night. Pretty amazing all things considered in the world today.

Is one better than the other I can't speak for that. @ca1ore has both has he noted already and said it well. I think most question the claim that it produces more par or light than what it replaces. I think on the surface even BRS questioned that claim. However, I believe it does when using the lens. I have them over a 30" tall tank and they have no issues even without.

Personal opinion, they are a nice looking unit with a lot of nice mounting options. If you haven't check out the BRS video old, and updated for help in their spread analysis. You have a lot of options in lighting so don't rush. Especially since you said budget. I respect that and while personally biased towards Kessil you have options.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually 100% convinced on a kessil 95% of the time, especially for a tank this size (they are just "meant" for it in every way IMO). Toyed with Red Sea 90 or radion g5 15, but external appearance and especially internal appearance (the light's color qualities and shimmer), I just keep coming back to the kessil's very quickly. (Also has better mounting options for my situation.) Essentially, I'm sold on kessil for this tank.

Where I'm struggling a bit is which kessil to get:
A160 (possibly x2)
A360 (old or the new X?)

I am beginning to think the lens option alone for the x may actually tilt me to the x if I go the A360 route.

The A160 advantage is price, probably has all the pur I'll ever need, and if not, two of them does and additionally provides redundancy and helps eliminate some shading I'm concerned about if I go with my current planned aquascape. They will look good on the tank too. My fear with the A360x is that I'm paying for a light that will be turned down to effectively an A160 anyways; people often buy more light than they need I have come to believe. On the other hand, if I ever did want to dive into sticks (no plans to), then it's not more light than I could use- it's the right amount.

So, I keep circling... and yes @saf1 - thanks for the advice to not rush, I agree. I haven't gotten the tank wet and still have at least month before I'd need a light. Heh- reason I've done a few exploratory posts here and keep bothering kessil's patient tech support with pre-purchase questions.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't get a proper answer for 5-7 years or longer.

That being said I would say no. UNLESS you need that extra spread. I have a 60x18" tank I use 3 kessils as well as 2 black boxes and T5's. I would like a 4th Kessil but my a360 just recently died after a little more then 7 years of use. If your 19" tank is going to be packed end to end maybe...

My a350 is still working which is obviously older. I got an a360x last month because I wanted to try one. It looks nicer and does appear to have a slightly wider spread just by eyeballing it but I don't think it's worth the extra money if cost is an issue. I also haven't really looked into it yet but no one seems to know how difficult they are to take apart. Yes the new design may mean you don't have to, but as far as kessil is concerned you shouldn't be taking apart your a360we while it is under warranty when doing so will 100% extend the life well past the warranty (at the slight risk you could break it).

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lifetime experiences described here is extremely useful, thanks for that.

I'm fully aware of all the wrinkles of blowing out dust every month but only taking apart to do so after the 2 years (and yes @andrewkw, if I understand you, there is a puzzle about you might get longer life if you disregard Kessil's warnings about waiting 2 years, at the risk of not getting warranty coverage should you need it).

Re what's best with the 360x, hmmm... Kessil support will surely clarify- they've been ultra responsive and patient with me so far, and I don't even own one (yet). They do sorta claim the x will last longer, but kind of walk that claim back with words about if you take care of the older generations, they are fine... I think they are having to parse that kind of carefully, since they don't want to say the older generations are defective relative to the new? I dunno. Probably as well, individual units have more good luck or bad over their lifetime in ways that are more impactful than design differences between the generations? Again I dunno.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. A kessil light regardless of which one will last 2 years unless it’s defective regardless of what you do imo as long as it’s not getting abused.

However in 2 years it will accumulate a lot of dust and much of that may get baked on and become more difficult to remove.

While not impossible the a350/360/we design is moderately difficult to take apart and it’s designed in such a way that they don’t want you taking it apart. I actually broke a lens cleaning one once. I have only had the X one month and haven’t looked at taking it apart. I did look for information online and could not find any.

I clean mine yearly and they get absolutely filthy. I don’t recall when I started but it was not within the first few years. My a350 is quite old and there is some rust but still functioning fine. Out of 4 kessil light i have bought one has died but I got 7 years out of it so it’s difficult to complain. I actually figured it out excluding tax and electricity the a360 that died cost me 17 cents (Canadian) a day for its life.

U

User1

View Badges
I have one too but I don't understand this. Obviously dust is going to get baked on to areas compressed air is not going to reach..

I disagree. There is absolutely no reason to disassemble the unit nor does the user manual say this. In fact that would be a reason not to purchase the unit. Sort of like tearing down your cars engine just to change the oil...

1591375861152.png

Edit 1: Might as well include that disassemble will void warranty:
1591376031270.png

Edit 2: Should also add they recommend yearly maintenance:
1591376068059.png

Edit 3: I think you get the idea...all documented on Kessil's site. Hope everyone has a great day and super awesome weekend.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one too but I don't understand this. Obviously dust is going to get baked on to areas compressed air is not going to reach..
It's an open design heat sink. Look inside your unit closely and you'll see how easy it is to get dust out.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@andrewkw the x looks nicer- do you mean the external appearance (smaller, etc.)?

Yes it's a much nicer looking light compared to the "can" look of the older design.

Also as far as Kessil saying the X does not need to be taken apart, they don't recommend you taking apart the older lights until warranty is over when we know they should be taken apart and cleaned.

Even though the X is a better design I personally believe there will still be dust inside. Maybe they will only need to be taken apart every other year or maybe not at all, until I see a clean one that has been in operation for 1-2 years I won't be convinced.

U

User1

View Badges
Yes it's a much nicer looking light compared to the "can" look of the older design.

Also as far as Kessil saying the X does not need to be taken apart, they don't recommend you taking apart the older lights until warranty is over when we know they should be taken apart and cleaned.

Even though the X is a better design I personally believe there will still be dust inside. Maybe they will only need to be taken apart every other year or maybe not at all, until I see a clean one that has been in operation for 1-2 years I won't be convinced.

If I didn't apply the shipping label I would have taken a photo of mine. It really was a clean unit although I should note that mine are mounted 12" above the waterline currently. That will be changing here within the next month or so to about 8 to 10". Maybe that will change things, I don't know.

Unless you have a metric ton salt spray there really is no reason I could possibly see taking it apart. Gentle air periodically will be more than enough I'd wager and their docs say yearly. If for some reason one feels the need to take it apart then do so only after warranty and reach out to them for the proper instructions. Honestly I can't image other than liking to tinker the need to take it apart to clean. It has a decent venting and air flow design.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save the money and get the 360we, I've got 7, 4 on the tank and 3 stores that I bought those when my lfs dropped them to $280 some months back.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These PAR numbers, if correct, would seem to say, get an A160, given what I intend to grow (start with one A160, add a second if necessary):

This after all only a 19" (all sides) cube. And if the tank works out, I would not plan to ever take it down. It might get repurposed. Another large tank would then be in the future, but the point is I don't see how A160 investment would ever be wasted- it can always have a roll on this tank. Worst case- an extra spot light on a bigger tank down the road.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back