Kessil a80 tuna blue halo question

Dirtyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Hope this doesn't come across as too tedious a question...

For any kessil a80 owners, is the supplied picture consistent with the spread that you get? This is the first light that I've bought that has lighting rings/aberrations like this. Just want to make sure I don't have a QC issue light. One Picture is taken about 4 inches from the light.

Thank you so much for any input!

20240129_143856.jpg 20240129_143142.jpg

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Hope this doesn't come across as too tedious a question...

For any kessil a80 owners, is the supplied picture consistent with the spread that you get? This is the first light that I've bought that has lighting rings/aberrations like this. Just want to make sure I don't have a QC issue light. One Picture is taken about 4 inches from the light.

Thank you so much for any input!

20240129_143856.jpg 20240129_143142.jpg
Only Kessil knows for sure.
It's odd.
https://www.reefh2o.com/Kessil_A80_Tuna_Sun_Led_Fixture_p/ks34125.htm

They "sell" their "carefully designed optics" though.

Trickery I tell ya.... :)

Upvote 0

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never noticed a halo effect on mine but will check it out later tonight. I’m not sure what people are trying to do with this light, but it is made for smaller pico/nano tanks! Great little light! :smiling-face:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dirtyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never noticed a halo effect on mine but will check it out later tonight. I’m not sure what people are trying to do with this light, but it is made for smaller pico/nano tanks! Great little light! :smiling-face:
Awesome! Thank you.

What Size tank do you have it over if you don't mind me asking.

Upvote 0

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own an A80 but I do own 3 A360WE and 3 A160 and they all have a pretty concentrated light output. That's the nature of their LED matrix and optics. Based on my experience I don't think there's an issue with your light.

Kessil says the light is designed to cover a 'mixed' reef 12" X 12" with the light 4" over the tank. That sounds pretty ideal for your 3 gallon nano.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dirtyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own an A80 but I do own 3 A360WE and 3 A160 and they all have a pretty concentrated light output. That's the nature of their LED matrix and optics. Based on my experience I don't think there's an issue with your light.

Kessil says the light is designed to cover a 'mixed' reef 12" X 12" with the light 4" over the tank. That sounds pretty ideal for your 3 gallon nano.
Do your lights have that lighter rings on your kessils? It's not the spread; it's just the ring that I'm not sure is normal. I've had cheaper lights that have more uniform color visually.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 on a 25 gallon lagoon. Tank is only 12 inches deep, so they are perfect for my situation. I just checked mine, and they both have a similar effect as yours with the ring in the middle. I have had them for over a year. No complaints for my shallow tank.
IMG_6137.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dirtyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 on a 25 gallon lagoon. Tank is only 12 inches deep, so they are perfect for my situation. I just checked mine, and they both have a similar effect as yours with the ring in the middle. I have had them for over a year. No complaints for my shallow tank.
IMG_6137.jpg
Thank you very much! No longer having to stress about it. Nice tank by the way! Is your hammer happy at that depth with the intensity that you're using?

Upvote 0

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your lights have that lighter rings on your kessils? It's not the spread; it's just the ring that I'm not sure is normal. I've had cheaper lights that have more uniform color visually.
Yes, very similar but that's mitigated by the water. The light spreads out and evens out.

Upvote 0

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thank you.

What Size tank do you have it over if you don't mind me asking.
4.1 gallon with LPS

I just did a test and no halo seen. I have the light about 5” from the surface of the water. Kessil is a leader in the game and has excellent customer service. Reach out to them and explain the situation.:)

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back