Kessil AP700 have their own mind?

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've been running a single AP700 for several months now (since July) and i was amazed how this unit is lighting my 4ft tank!

However, I've noticed it for some time now suddently turning on/off during midnight or early morning!

Did anyone experience this before? Any solutions to this?

I'm trying to avoid shocking anything with this happening, especially after lights off for many hours! My 2nd half went crazy twice when this happened...

Thoughts?!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've been running a single AP700 for several months now (since July) and i was amazed how this unit is lighting my 4ft tank!

However, I've noticed it for some time now suddently turning on/off during midnight or early morning!

Did anyone experience this before? Any solutions to this?

I'm trying to avoid shocking anything with this happening, especially after lights off for many hours! My 2nd half went crazy twice when this happened...

Thoughts?!
What is the firmware version on the light? That is a known issue. Mine did the same thing.

mike321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going through the same thing.
I called kessil and they told me to do a hard reset. After doing so, a couple days later i was still experiencing some problems. Now they will send send me a temp light while I send them my ap700 to check it out.

OP
OP
BoSalman

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going through the same thing.
I called kessil and they told me to do a hard reset. After doing so, a couple days later i was still experiencing some problems. Now they will send send me a temp light while I send them my ap700 to check it out.

Ouch! If i had to go through this i will have to pay a huge shipping bill... hopefully its not the case for me too!

I did read about this happening before when the model was first out, but hoped for a better experience with newer units!

coral49

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along as I am having a different issue and want to learn, I have group of 3 at which 1 of them is always 15 to 20 min earlier than other 2 lights. Now i need to see if it's having random on/off. This weekend I was trying to adjust the time on the app and it didn't recognize the group anymore. Nothing was there.

How do you check the firmware version?

I got mine around the July time frame as well

Agree I like the light performance

Last edited:
OP
OP
BoSalman

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along as I am having a different issue and want to learn, I have group of 3 at which 1 of them is always 15 to 20 min earlier than other 2 lights. Now i need to see if it's having random on/off. This weekend I was trying to adjust the time on the app and it didn't recognize the group anymore. Nothing was there.

How do you check the firmware version?

I got mine around the July time frame as well

Agree I like the light performance

Hopefully you won't have this issue.. you can check by clicking on the (i) next to your light fixture name, it will show you the firmware version.

OP
OP
BoSalman

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the firmware version on the light? That is a known issue. Mine did the same thing.

I did verify the firmware is v3.4...

This only happened three times now, i'm just worried about it doing it more often tho, any idea if that's common to all kessils or just the ap700s?

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have had this problem. Is there a way to update the software? Also, my fan runs 24/7, even if the light is off. Anyone else have this issue?

coral-boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fan is supposed to run 24/7. I was concerned about that also and emailed Kessil. They says it’s supposed to do that. But my fixture seems to turn on for a few second randomly and then back off.

OP
OP
BoSalman

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fan is supposed to run 24/7. I was concerned about that also and emailed Kessil. They says it’s supposed to do that. But my fixture seems to turn on for a few second randomly and then back off.

Same here, i'm starting to wonder if this happens with other kessil units or just the ap700.. am thinking about adding two a360's or the newer models down the road.. but that is only if they wont do the same thing and cause choas!

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny i didn't notice the fan! I was debating wither i should get a 2nd unit or go with two a360s instead
The 700, for the price, is better than 2 360s in my opinion. The 700 has 60 diodes or something per puck whereas 360 only has 40 something. Plus you would need a controller for ramp up and down.

OP
OP
BoSalman

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 700, for the price, is better than 2 360s in my opinion. The 700 has 60 diodes or something per puck whereas 360 only has 40 something. Plus you would need a controller for ramp up and down.

Price wise you're correct, i'm planning on controlling via apex though.. am just not sure if two ap700 on a 4ft would be overkill (mixed reef)..

Anyways, so since yesterday the unit did not act funny again, still worried though and will be monitoring it for some time to confirm normal running state...

RTab619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same issue and they told me to set it to 1% before ending at 0% and my midnight storm ended. (Can’t remember if I had to do the same for the morning as well - think it was just the night)

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need to come up with a better solution. You only get 10 data points and 4 of them are wasted on 0% then 1%. I love the light but hate the programming.

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 ap700s and thought all the same things as you all have mentioned here. There actually is a solution though - I apologize, but a bit of an preface is helpful here:

Say you have 1000 alarm clocks all set to the exact same time. If you were to wait a couple of weeks, or even a month, and then came back to them... Do you think they will all display the same time?

The point is: setting multiple devices to the same program is NOT the same as syncing multiple devices together and setting them to a single program. Deviations occur, and this apparently wrecks Kessils world.

Exhibit A:

IMG_2022.jpg

Yes, I came home to one side completely red and the other completely blue.

SOLUTION: When you open up the Kessil app and see the icons for each of your units, take note of the number in the top left of the box. Each unit is probably numbered 1, 2, 3, etc... This is actually the "Group setting". If you want multiple lights to use the same schedule, you need to set them all to the same group setting.

IMG_0003.PNG

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With regard to the 360s (I have 3), there is apparently a known problem with their being ramped down past 15% - they shut off long before getting to 0%. Mine seem to be shutting down on a ramp down even sooner than their hitting 15%. Makes me want to add a controllable LED strip to my lighting to take up the slack when they shut off and more smoothly handle ramp down appearance.

OP
OP
BoSalman

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,

So i was just feeding my corals/fish when the light suddently went off and then back on after 10-20 seconds!!

This is just getting me worried when the unit is only been used for less than 4 months and i didn't even go near 60% peak!

I will be out of town for a week and i positioned my baby monitor cam on the tank to see if any weird things happen while i'm away (my son will be with me so the baby cam can be used by me for once ;)).. i will decide what to do with this unit once i get back!

Hoping that this won't end in a bad way...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back