Kessil AP700 have their own mind?

RTab619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worst is power outages it reverts to the default setting. Sometimes I had no way of knowing unless I opened the app or realized my lights weren't turning on/off at my programmed time.

OP
OP
BoSalman

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worst is power outages it reverts to the default setting. Sometimes I had no way of knowing unless I opened the app or realized my lights weren't turning on/off at my programmed time.

I'm getting frustrated tbh... thinking that this unit was the "headache free" turned out to be not so true so far! I do love this model though but wasn't expecting to have these issues.

I will continue to monitor its performance and then will have to call it a keeper or discard it to a better setup!

Xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yep I’ve experienced the same issues. As a matter of fact I’m on my third ap700. I had my original light purchased from BRS and within 3-4 months the light died on me. I was obviously devastated after spending nearly $1k on a fixture and it blows. Kessil provides me with a replacement which left me without light over my tank for about a week. You can imagine how freaked out I was about that with a tank full of sps/lps. That unit lasted for a little over a year and a half. About 3-4 months ago that unit failed. I called Kessil and they started off saying that my warranty of the light was past due. I was able to talk them into sending a replacement however it was a refurbished unit. I have experienced and continue to experience the same issue with the light shutting off during random times during the day. Not sure what my firmware version is but would think it’s updated since it’s from Kessil. Let’s see how long this one lasts.......

OP
OP
BoSalman

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I’ve experienced the same issues. As a matter of fact I’m on my third ap700. I had my original light purchased from BRS and within 3-4 months the light died on me. I was obviously devastated after spending nearly $1k on a fixture and it blows. Kessil provides me with a replacement which left me without light over my tank for about a week. You can imagine how freaked out I was about that with a tank full of sps/lps. That unit lasted for a little over a year and a half. About 3-4 months ago that unit failed. I called Kessil and they started off saying that my warranty of the light was past due. I was able to talk them into sending a replacement however it was a refurbished unit. I have experienced and continue to experience the same issue with the light shutting off during random times during the day. Not sure what my firmware version is but would think it’s updated since it’s from Kessil. Let’s see how long this one lasts.......

Even though i bought this through an official distributer here.. that's never gonna happen for me!

If they ask me to send that unit by myself, it would cost 200+$ just to ship it.. that's if the distributer refused to return it (i think they may, they're good reputed here).

But anyways, having a unit fail so soon that i didn't even think about is a huge disappointment to me.. i'm starting to even scratch the idea of the a360's or even the newer model! Do they have the same "repeated" failures similar to this?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have 2 ap700s and thought all the same things as you all have mentioned here. There actually is a solution though - I apologize, but a bit of an preface is helpful here:

Say you have 1000 alarm clocks all set to the exact same time. If you were to wait a couple of weeks, or even a month, and then came back to them... Do you think they will all display the same time?

The point is: setting multiple devices to the same program is NOT the same as syncing multiple devices together and setting them to a single program. Deviations occur, and this apparently wrecks Kessils world.

Exhibit A:

IMG_2022.jpg

Yes, I came home to one side completely red and the other completely blue.

SOLUTION: When you open up the Kessil app and see the icons for each of your units, take note of the number in the top left of the box. Each unit is probably numbered 1, 2, 3, etc... This is actually the "Group setting". If you want multiple lights to use the same schedule, you need to set them all to the same group setting.

IMG_0003.PNG

This is how I have my values and no issues ( Been 5 months)

Xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Even though i bought this through an official distributer here.. that's never gonna happen for me!

If they ask me to send that unit by myself, it would cost 200+$ just to ship it.. that's if the distributer refused to return it (i think they may, they're good reputed here).

But anyways, having a unit fail so soon that i didn't even think about is a huge disappointment to me.. i'm starting to even scratch the idea of the a360's or even the newer model! Do they have the same "repeated" failures similar to this?

Not sure I don’t have experience with a360. I have been reefing for about 5 years now and I’ve only had AI and Kessil, of the two I like the Kessil better. The color mixing is great and the shimmer is unmatched. I’ve also had great success with sps with the Kessil. I think they need to get these types of issues we are experiencing resolved.

The question is if this current light I have dies on me and Kessil refuses to replace do I go with another manufacturer or back to Kessil and run the risk of having the same issues?

OP
OP
BoSalman

BoSalman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same issue and they told me to set it to 1% before ending at 0% and my midnight storm ended. (Can’t remember if I had to do the same for the morning as well - think it was just the night)

That's actually how i set mine to ramp up/down...

I have 2 ap700s and thought all the same things as you all have mentioned here. There actually is a solution though - I apologize, but a bit of an preface is helpful here:

Say you have 1000 alarm clocks all set to the exact same time. If you were to wait a couple of weeks, or even a month, and then came back to them... Do you think they will all display the same time?

The point is: setting multiple devices to the same program is NOT the same as syncing multiple devices together and setting them to a single program. Deviations occur, and this apparently wrecks Kessils world.

Exhibit A:

IMG_2022.jpg

Yes, I came home to one side completely red and the other completely blue.

SOLUTION: When you open up the Kessil app and see the icons for each of your units, take note of the number in the top left of the box. Each unit is probably numbered 1, 2, 3, etc... This is actually the "Group setting". If you want multiple lights to use the same schedule, you need to set them all to the same group setting.

IMG_0003.PNG

Great information! I will save that incase i get a second unit. However, i'm on a single unit, my best guess to this flickering on/off issue would be something related to timers/timezone resetting itself or something.. am positive its not hardaare/electrical issue.

With regard to the 360s (I have 3), there is apparently a known problem with their being ramped down past 15% - they shut off long before getting to 0%. Mine seem to be shutting down on a ramp down even sooner than their hitting 15%. Makes me want to add a controllable LED strip to my lighting to take up the slack when they shut off and more smoothly handle ramp down appearance.

Yes i've read somewhere about the intensity below 15%... i just love the lighting those u its push, just not sure why this is happening to my unit though!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm hoping that if i did a reset this issue will disappear for good! I would hate to use another light as kessils colors and design (aesthetic) is just amazing!
They are. Sure brings a big smile the moment you plug them. Utilize if you must, Kessils' support which is free and offer great advice

Tony Salernitano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've been running a single AP700 for several months now (since July) and i was amazed how this unit is lighting my 4ft tank!

However, I've noticed it for some time now suddently turning on/off during midnight or early morning!

Did anyone experience this before? Any solutions to this?

I'm trying to avoid shocking anything with this happening, especially after lights off for many hours! My 2nd half went crazy twice when this happened...

Thoughts?!

Tony Salernitano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I also have the ap700 a few times it went on and off don't know why but it didn't do it no more

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've noticed that both of my 700's turn on and off in the middle of the night. I'm not sure if this happens every night, but I'll try the 1% before 0% and see if that works? The power supplies have a voltage control pot. This allows the user to set his/her voltage based on location. I found out when one of my lights stopped working and I thought it was a goner. I was ready to send it back to them, but noticed that my incoming power to the house was very low (I have monitored power conditioners in my studio), around 107 volts. I decided to turn the voltage pot all the way down, then increased it to what I thought was the right voltage, plugged the light in and boom, it worked! I checked the other power supply to make sure it was set properly and my lights haven't had an issue (besides the night time on/off) since. I think the voltage pots were set too high originally and when my power dipped, they didn't have enough power to turn on.

Tony Salernitano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got mine 2 months ago I only have it set for 50% about 10 in off the water I'm not quite sure if I'm giving enough light to the fish tank maybe somebody may know I have a mix Reef

ecamden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for a month and already had a light failure. Kessil is sending a replacement but it's been about a week now and still waiting on the light. Pretty disappointed with this. Also when you turn them off without using the app (power outage or unplugging) they will not turn back on unless you connect to the kessil wifi on the app. Anyone know how to fix that issue?
20190502_131909.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Reconnection to the wifi is the one big headache I've seen otherwise - Nice light

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had mine for a month and already had a light failure. Kessil is sending a replacement but it's been about a week now and still waiting on the light. Pretty disappointed with this. Also when you turn them off without using the app (power outage or unplugging) they will not turn back on unless you connect to the kessil wifi on the app. Anyone know how to fix that issue?
20190502_131909.jpeg

I recently had a power outage and I had to use the app to shut them off. They came back on just fine and seem to pick up where they left off, sort of, so my guess is that the internal clock doesn't reset itself? I had to reconnect with the app when daylight savings kicked in too. The only other issue I had was with the variable voltage pot on the drivers. My incoming voltage to the house dropped quite a bit and one of my 700's didn't come on. It wasn't until I was going to ship the light back to Kessil that I looked at the driver and discovered that the voltage was set a little high, so I turned the pot all the way down and adjusted it to where I thought 120v would be and it worked. The drivers were designed to take a wide margin of voltage, 100v - 277v.
I love Kessil lights, but agree, their software is in the Stone age.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 89 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back